i have 2 quesation

when u can leave Cit

i feel normal and happy , no depression or anxiety

i have been on medication since March , so it almost 8 to 9 mounts on Cit

and everything is perfect now

so can i start reduce the dose ?

when should i reduce it ?

is 8 mounts enuough ?

beck i gain a lot of weight , is leavening medication will make me loss what i gain ?

any advise for dealing with withdrawals symptoms

i'm a fried of it sad

is depressing will back again

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Talk to your doctor about reducing slowly. They say a minimum of 6 months and by the time you are off it will probably be 10. Good luck. Oh and you'll probably have to diet to lose the weight ???

• Posted

yeah i talk to my doctor

he said to me it's okay

than give me a program of reducing 20/10 for 6 weeks

than 10/0 for other 6 weeks

is that enough

by this i will complet 1 year exactly

is that good ?

• Posted

Can I ask you a question? If you were bad before starting medication and now you were on it and feel better why come off of it? I always looked at it like this, if I had high blood pressure and had to medication to lower it and it worked and everything was going good I wouldn't go off it because my blood pressure would most likly return to bad again, I understand how you feel and want to be free of it but personally I'm 28 and almost 6weeks into taking it, I had the best week I've had in months and now today i feel back to complete sh*t again so I feel like if this medicine gets me back to normal completely I'm gonna continue to take it to avoid ever coming back to this place wheee I am currently, I've read tons of people on this forum that have come off and really have been doing well so there's hope that you can too I'm just personally scared of it if I ever get back to a point that I feel good all the time again lol I do know that there's a women named katecogs on here that has come off and seems to have the method down pretty good so maybe try and contact her for better info

• Posted

yeah u right , i already talk with Kat about many thing , she is amazing , and help me a lot :"wink

but becz i gain a lot of weight and i'm a fried that will effect my confidence:"(

and also, if u forgot ur medication that other reason

, i may feel bad and confused and wiethrouw symptoms may appear

finally , after leaving Cit , i'm planing to take 5htp to help me with my mood , i hope it will work

• Posted

Hi Roby

Yes 33cody is right - I agree that if there's medication that helps then why come off them.  If you had epilepsy, diabetes, heart problems then you'd have to take meds, and so anxiety / depression is no different really (albeit not life threatening).  Its still an illness.

On the other hand of course, if the side effects are causing you distress, enough to want to stop meds, then many people do, and people obviously do also come off them when they start feeling well.  You must do this with your doctor though.

I have read its best to stay on them for a good year before thinking of withdrawing as it helps to guard against the illness returning.

I only came off meds after being on them for about 15 years - I was too scared in the early years to even think about coming off them as I never wanted to be back in that dark place.

Though off meds now, I do need something as I do tend to slip backwards, and that's where 5-HTP comes in.  I was on meds for many years though before contemplating this.

Withdrawing must be done with the help of your doctor, and though he may give you a plan you can always follow a slightly different one, easing off much more gradual as I've done, but you must still discuss that with your doctor so he knows what's happening plus talk to him about taking 5-HTP (though they're not prescription meds).

K x

• Posted

Stay on it til you comfortable with th advice you get from the forum mostly take a long time coming off if you decide to come off and you won't automatically lose the weight you gained

• Posted

Hello come of this drug under direction of your GP.

It can be diffiult to say how long we are all different

Make that appointment do not rush coming off this medication

• Posted

yeah i talk to my doctor

he said to me it's okay

is that enough

is that good ?

• Posted

Fair enough He will have all in hand and all should work out for you

We are here if needed

• Posted

Talk to your doctor, and make sure you slowly taper off. You may get a shock like sensation like I did for a while but it will go away, it's just the body readjusting, though it may be not as bad if you have been tapering over a longer period like I should have done. Nothing horrible, it just feels a bit annoying and strange. Also, you will lose the weight you gained. I changed my diet and exercised more which facilitated the process.

Best wishes!

• Posted

yeah i talk to my doctor

he said to me it's okay

is that enough

is that good ?

• Posted

Hi Roby

Hey, glad to hear you've come through it all and are better now!!

I've just come off this medication - took me a year to withdraw (that was my choice).  Apparently its best to stay on the meds a good year before thinking of withdrawing, but that's only what I've read.  I agree, best to see your doctor to discuss first.

The slower the reduction the better.  I withdrew by 5mg each time, with each dose lasting around 2 months before reducing again going from 20mg / 15mg / 10mg / 5mg / 2.5mg / 1.25 / stop.  Doing it this way I had no withdrawing symptoms at all unlike the first time years before when I reduced by a larger dose.

Don't be in a hurry to do it, take as long as you can.  If you reduce by a large drop each time and too quick, that's when you experience withdrawal.

Weight gain can be a problem on these meds for some, and yes it can reduce when you're off the meds.  I certainly feel less bloated.  

Don't give yourself a timescale - take each reduction as it comes.  Wait a couple of months on it and if you feel ok then reduce further and wait another couple of months.  If you feel not so good, then wait - its not such a huge drop if you do need to go back to the previous doseage.

There's nothing to be afraid of ........ do it slow and this should ease you back off gently.  Its only when its done too quick and too big a reduction that withdrawal happens.

Staying on the meds a good year apparently helps to stop the depresson from returning, but if you're ready now, then speak to your doctor and sort out a programme.  Some doctors do get patients to drop too quick too soon ....... but do go see him anyway and maybe discuss doing it this slow ie 5mg.

You're back to Saudi Arabia now aren't you?  Bet its warmer there than it is here now wink

I'll message you too xx

• Posted

hello angle

yeah i'm cruntly in Saudia Arabia

the weather is warm and some days it's cool smile

yeah i talk to my doctor

he said to me it's okay

is that enough

is that good ?

• Posted

So your doctor wants you to do 20mg to 10mg to 0 over 12 weeks??  Mmmm ..... this could be too quick and too big a drop.

Personally I'd do 20mg to 15mg for 8 weeks, then 15mg to 10mg for another 8 weeks, 10mg to 5mg for another 8 weeks, then 5mg to 2.5mg for yet another 8 and finally 2.5mg to 1.25mg for the last 8 weeks.  Total 10 months.

That's my personal view though and how I did it ..... I just found the least reduction and the slower was best for me and I didn't get any withdrawl.  You can try how your doctor recommended and see how it goes?

K x

• Posted

Follow your doctor's advise, but, if you don't feel comfortable, be sure to voice your concerns. Only YOU know exactly how you feel. As far as the weight, remember that exercise will bring on your endorphins, which will in turn make your depression dissipate. I know it's easier said than done, but once you hit that euphoric feeling from exercise, you'll want it again and again. Good luck! We're all rooting for you! :-)

• Posted

i think i will follow ur plan

it's more safe for me

thank u so much

u really help me with ur replay

• Posted

Let your doctor know though that you want to go slower - don't just do it alone ;-) xxxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.