Thinning skin due to Prednisone

Posted , 15 users are following.

Has anyone found a remedy/cure for combating thinning skin due to Prednisone.  In the past 10 months, I've aged 10 years!  I realize that thin skin is part of the aging process, but whoa---not this fast---I hope.

0 likes, 52 replies

52 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I take Collagen30, a supplement that has Bioactive Collagen Peptides which is meant to help your skin. I also take Flax Oil capsules which has Omega 3. And I take biotin and folate supplement which is meant to help your skin as well as your hair. 

As was mentioned below, I used to take Horsetail capsules, which has nothing to do with horses, but it a plant. I don't remember why I stopped taking it. It was to help thicken my hair and I kept forgetting to take it, but I hadn't been on Prednisone at that time of my life. My skin is visibly thin and very crepey and old looking. I just stopped prednisone lately, so I'm hoping if I continue with these supplements and lotion, maybe it will improve. smile

• Posted

Get your GP (they can prescribe it as you are on pred but some will not). I  buy it over the counter.  

Double Base Gel and follow the instructions to the letter.

Stop using soap, shower gel, use Johnson's Baby shampoo, if you must use a shampoo.

I had GCA and was told be another GCA and PMR patient who posts on here and it worked.  My skin 12 years later is still silky smooth and not thin.  Mind it is wrinkly with age.

• Posted

I live in Canada. Is there another name or brand name for the Double Base Gel that I can ask my doctor for?

It sounds great. I'd love to get my skin looking semi-normal again.

Thanks!

• Posted

I now get Zerobase emollient cream free through minor ailments at the pharmacy in the UK.  I used to get Diprobase but presumably costs changed that. I am in Scotland. 
    • Posted

I do no know,,,,,,,,,,,,however, I do know from someone in the USA they used Amazon..............
    • Posted

You can get it on Amazon I think - if you have Prime it doesn't cost for the delivery which is high otherwise. Ask a friend if you don't.

• Posted

Thanks for the recommendations I was able to buy Diprobase on Amazon today, for $23.99, no taxes, and free shipping. I'm hoping it will help. I'll let you know. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.