Third day- Citalopram- Advice please!

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hello people,

I was prescribed citalopram last week by the doctor, taken me about 3 years to go to them and finally try and deal with the depression i've had. The main issues are that i've had a pretty low self esteem ever since i can remember, i battled with bulimia for 3 years which i never got help for- just managed to gradually take control and stop myself doing it, and there have been big family problems. Although I still have happy, normal- feeling days (usually when im with my boyfriend who has such a good effect on me) I can sometimes change so rapidly and get really agitated and angry, like i'm sinking into a black hole. i have been having disturbing nightmares for a long time too, though it doesnt effect the amount i sleep. i'm going on abit, basically ive been prescribed the drug, and i didnt take it until a couple days ago because i was wondering do i need this? i know that i have bad days and panicky feelings most mornings i wake up, and i do sit going over things over and over again. Is there anyone who has had a similar predicament? I'm on my third day of taking it and i feel a burst of up-beat energy in me, and ive woken up to a blurred memory of my dreams, which to me is better than a vivid dream of being chased by a murderer!!!! only other side effects i can feel is my heart beating in my chest and waking up in the middle of the night feeling awake before i get back off to sleep again.

I feel i need an opinion (other than a doctors- who will dish out drugs to anyone) of whether they feel i could benefit sticking to taking it.

i will appreciate hearing from anyone. Thanks

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

If what your GP has told you is that Citalopram will take 2, 4 or 6 weeks to show the full benefits then he/she is right. You may experience side effects until then (have a look at the Patient Information which comes with every box of tablets) but you will not know if it's the right drug or right dose until you've given it a chance to work.

Also, make as much use of the positive things in your life. Like your relationship. You can do it on your own but a bit of support makes it so much easier.

• Posted

If what your GP has told you is that Citalopram will take 2, 4 or 6 weeks to show the full benefits then he/she is right. You may experience side effects until then (have a look at the Patient Information which comes with every box of tablets) but you will not know if it's the right drug or right dose until you've given it a chance to work.

Also, make as much use of the positive things in your life. Like your relationship. You can do it on your own but a bit of support makes it so much easier.

• Posted

Hi, thanks for taking time to read my message. The doctor told me about all the side effects and general information about the drug, my main predicament was whether she gave it to me for the right reasons... that she thought it would benefit me, and not that she was just dishing it out as soon as she hears someone saying theyre down. I know I have a lot of things getting me down, I feel like i've come on hear to get reassurance or advice about the drug, that it will help someone like me, i wonder if i need it because i can still enjoy myself and have very normal- well feeling days, but then can feel extremely low just like that, like i hate everything, i have days when im so angry, full of rage and upset because of my circumstances, and cant pull myself together like most people, instead i take it out on those most important to me. I'm wondering if citalopram could change things for me, make the bad days more tolerable, so i can find a happy medium.
  • Posted

Dear Triceratops,

I agree that GPs are often critised (maybe rightly?) for dishing out the antidepressants too easily and readily. But judging from what you've mentioned, I think it was right for the doctor to prescribe you Citalopram.

My personal experience with citalopram is generally feeling 'lighter' - not so weighed-down and sluggish. Also, crying less and feeling that maybe life isn't so bad! My sleep improved, and I felt calmer and less irritable. Maybe a few things for you to look forward to...? I don't know whether it will help with your vivid dreams, but by the sound of it, they're already becoming more hazy, which is great. It might also help with your anxiety/panicky feelings. If after 5 weeks you don't feel the medication is helping enough, then it's quite common for the doctor to increase your dosage, or try another antidepressant.

It's normal to have 'good' days - it doesn't automatically mean that you're not depressed. But it seems you often have 'low' days which affect your relationships, and sound pretty unbearable for you too! In time, the antidepressants will improve your mood and help you see the positive things in life, and be more resilient during difficult patches.

Without meaning to sound trite, I think it's great that you finally plucked up the courage to see the doctor. Things will start to improve soon - just be patient! It sounds like you've been battling with this alone for a few years now. The fact that you've had bulimia in the past, and depression for quite a few years, makes the doctor's decision to prescribe you the medication even more justifiable. This isn't something that'll necessarily go away by itself, and I think you did the right thing by asking for help.

I hope this gives you some reassurance. Keep us posted on your progress!

Take care,

Emma

• Posted

Hi Emma,

Thank you for reassurance, its helped me a great deal. This forum is excellent, i wish i had come on one a lot earlier to talk about things. I have two close friends, but anytime I've opened up i can tell they just don't get it, and it makes me feel like I'm always moaning. Anyway, I'm on my 4th day and seeing a difference in my mood already- with none of the nasty side effects, just mainly feeling spaced out (which i'm well used to!)- i wasn't expecting it to kick in for a couple weeks at least. I came home today for the first time in a week, after being at my boyfriends place- i normally walk in the door, feel the bad atmosphere, realise why exactly i hate being at home, start crying and getting extremely angry- but today i've come in feeling so much better, i feel like im in a cosy bubble. no major anxiety. Also last night i had a nice dream, i woke up laughing!

I hope it lasts, still early days.

How long have you been on Citalopram? Does it reach a point of not being so aware you're on something?

Sarah x

• Posted

Ive since taken a turn for the worse, this evening I've been feeling like I'm on ecstasy- minus the good vibes- just monged out, blurred vision and impending come-down like feeling. I've had my fair share of recreational drugs, which didn't do me any favours and i never touch anymore- but this medicine is reminding me of that same feeling of not being in control. At least i know where my heads at when i feeling down, this drug is making me feel numb to everything. Some would say that is maybe a good thing, but for me it doesn't feel right. Its early days and maybe i ought to carry on to reach the optimum effect, but i have decided not to take it anymore. I have always been sensitive to stuff being in my system, I focus on it so much I end up being even more aware of having an emotional problem. I'll deal with any withdrawal symptoms, although i doubt it'll be that bad seen as I've only taken 4 pills. I think this drug can work for some and not for others. I am going to try my best to stay active and be around people who make me feel good.

Wow what a weird day.

Many thanks for the feedback i got.

• Posted

stick with it a bit longer

when i started taking mine i expenced same sort of things ups and downs ive been on mine about 4 weeks now and it seems to be starting to take effect so like i say stik withit unless it getts intorlable then see ya gp or a support unit

• Posted

Hi

I also am a person who likes to try and cope naturally and not take tablets. Recently I have been trying to cope with depression and had a real bad day where i ended up at the GP's getting prescribed citalopram. I have only taken it for the past two days and cant believe the side effects its having. I too have felt like im coming up on ectasy and havnt been able to focus on anything, ive just walked around with this silly spaced out smile on my face. I know they are meant to be happy pills, but surely this isnt right? I too have had my fair share of recreational drugs and for me I dont think i can cope with feeling like this on a daily basis especially as i have to go to work etc!

So i think i should give up and try and do it alone again??

any advice

• Posted

Hi fliss, you seem stuck in the same predicament i was/still am. i took the pills for about 3/4 days, i didn't have any nasty headaches or nausea, but i just felt like i was in a serious bubble- detached from reality, just floating along. Within a space of a day i went from thinking it was a great idea to be on citalopram, to later that day before bed feeling panic stricken, tearful and wishing i had never taken any. I was frightened i had a pill come down on its way- but luckily i slept it off and returned to normal (if you can call it normal haha)

I think it's great that citalopram works for some people, and i don't mean to come across like i think its a bad drug. The general opinion seems to be that one should stick to it and allow it time to kick in. This seems very daunting to me, many days/ weeks / potentially months of feeling like i'm buzzing on something, monging out and generally talking shit to people. I'm alright thanks. I came to this decision because i don't think my anxiety is bad enough to take shit that will make me feel weird all the time. i have to get off the computer- ive rushed this so i dont think i make much sense or got my point across. I'll be back later to continue! x

• Posted

yeah i felt like i was on pills aswell, dont worry about it i couldnt stop talking to anyone, an i told many people that i didnt want to no that i was on these AD

I found out that a drink helps not lots but a litle ammount seemed to calm me down alot, I am now on my 10th day an I feel ok, not quite rite but im doin ok

when i started feelin like i was on extasy i was walking around a town about 15miles away from where i lived an i went in to co op pharmacy an asked if i should be feelin gthat way, he said thats its normal but if the effects last more than 2 weeks to consult my doctor, he also said, that i can break them in half an have 10mg , i didnt an now im feelin alot better although i do get very good time an very bad times which stick in my mind more.

Like alot of other people have said stick at them and in a few weeks you will be fine, what you have explained are usual effects.

Take care and if you want to talk properly my msn is

i would like to talk to someone who has had the same experiances as me on them.

Thankyou

[color=orange:9fe7d637e6](Sorry but Patient Admin have removed either a telephone number, an email address, and or web address, from this posting, as it is the policy of Patient UK not to publish these on this forum.

If you wish to communicate directly with people, you should register, for free, with the forum (click Register in the menu list below the green banner above). You and other registered members will then be able to communicate with each other via Private Messaging (PM) or e-mail.) [/color:9fe7d637e6]

Tunni[size=9:9fe7d637e6][/size:9fe7d637e6]

• Posted

i am not taking citalopram anymore- i gave up after 4 days. i've actually been feeling pretty ok recently. But that can change from week to week. I used to get depressed a lot, though these days its more an anxiety problem. I worry about pretty much everything- mainly family stuff. Wish I could whisk my mum off to paradise and make her life better. She has been suffering with depression/anxiety for a long time now, i find it very difficult to deal with- its like if she's hurting i can feel what shes feeling. I'm really crap with seeing my friends- i have a couple close friends which i meet up with and chat to, but i dont go out with the whole group because i assosiate them with raving/drugs/everything that was bad for me that i want to forget. dont get me wrong i f*cking loved going out for messy ones- but the come downs the next day were immensely shit. i think i drained alot of my serotin irreversibly! i love how i come on here and just rant about everything.

peace people.xxxx

• Posted

hello ... i found ur thread very interesting as i hve so much in common . same with having tried lots of recreational drugs in past nd hating the come down and giving them up. also with bd anxiety unable to sleep in morning things goin on in my head . bad pst with family etc and the only thing i hve keeping me going is my bf . how ever this is my first dy on the drug and i feel like an airy bubble but am not looking forward to it if it does wat u say as ive been coping by myself fior last 3 years alone too!

however will stick to the drug and keep u posted x

• Posted

Hi i havent been on here for awhile so have only just read your message. I stopped taken them after 4 days, that was a couple months ago and I can say it was the right decision. I had been out of work for quite awhile which i think made my mind run wild. I had too much time on my hands, trying to find a new job, and being stuck at home which was driving me mad. Now that I am working and in a pretty good job things have improved. I am still the same in that I worry about stuff way too much, thats just a part of me. I am trying hard to be stronger and not let things phase me as much. My boyfriend is the angel that's made alot of the pain fade. When I am with him I feel like I am a princess. Love is such a great thing. F*** work, f*** money, f*** all these stupid things we think matter, If you've got real love then you've got one of the best things you can get out of life.

Have you stuck with citalopram since?

Stay strong and be in touch.

• Posted

Im so glad I came onto this site today!!!!

I took my 1st Citalopram last night and all night felt really sick as though I had taken a bad Ecstacy tablet, couldnt sleep all night, eventually got a bit of sleep and woke up feeling the exact same way!!

Was very anxious when I woke up as though I was having a major Ecstacy come down................dont know if I can handle this feeling everyday, its very scary!!!

My hearts beatin out my chest and I have such bad nausea and my jaw feels stiff!

Hope it will eventually get better

Stacy x

• Posted

smile hi i've taken it for about three years now and they DO work foe me, Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.