Third day- Citalopram- Advice please!

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hello people,

I was prescribed citalopram last week by the doctor, taken me about 3 years to go to them and finally try and deal with the depression i've had. The main issues are that i've had a pretty low self esteem ever since i can remember, i battled with bulimia for 3 years which i never got help for- just managed to gradually take control and stop myself doing it, and there have been big family problems. Although I still have happy, normal- feeling days (usually when im with my boyfriend who has such a good effect on me) I can sometimes change so rapidly and get really agitated and angry, like i'm sinking into a black hole. i have been having disturbing nightmares for a long time too, though it doesnt effect the amount i sleep. i'm going on abit, basically ive been prescribed the drug, and i didnt take it until a couple days ago because i was wondering do i need this? i know that i have bad days and panicky feelings most mornings i wake up, and i do sit going over things over and over again. Is there anyone who has had a similar predicament? I'm on my third day of taking it and i feel a burst of up-beat energy in me, and ive woken up to a blurred memory of my dreams, which to me is better than a vivid dream of being chased by a murderer!!!! only other side effects i can feel is my heart beating in my chest and waking up in the middle of the night feeling awake before i get back off to sleep again.

I feel i need an opinion (other than a doctors- who will dish out drugs to anyone) of whether they feel i could benefit sticking to taking it.

i will appreciate hearing from anyone. Thanks

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi All,

I have now been on Citalopram for 4 months and my side effects were severe. I had tremors, headaches, loss of appeitite (lost 18 pounds) very high anxiety levels, surreal feeling, high heart rate, sweaty, nightmares i think i got them all, and never experiencing drug use before i cant compare it but boy was it a hard 1st 4 weeks, but my doctor told me to percivere which I have and now my Panic Disorder, Agoraphobia seems a bit less promanate than before, still not back to work or doing 100% normal life but can now go to the small shop at the corner. I agree that the tablets do make you feel TOTALLY AWFUL, but i think you should atleast give them a few weeks as the effects do pass, and i do feel much lighter inside not to anxious. The side effects apart from the loss of appetite have totally subsided, but im not to bothered about that I am sure It will improve in time. So beleive me when i say it does get better, and if you can stick with it.

All the best

Carol

• Posted

I had a stiff jaw and felt really light headed (as if I were drunk) for the first week on citalopram. My sleeping was awful as well, was awake for most hours throughout the night. This was about 6 weeks ago and the side effects have gone. Keep going!
  • Posted

Hi everyone

I have been on Citalopram for 5 days for major depression & am feeling really strange. Sometimes I feel really tierd & actually doze off, other times I am totally wired & a bit paniky, I have slight blured vision & feel I am going in slow motion. Having strange thoughts too. Feel sick, as if I have a lump in my throat, and cant eat. I feel a bit paranoid as I have tried to explain how I feel to my partner & I'm sure he doesn't believe me & thinks I am making it up.

I feel like this has taken me about an hour to type, but in reality its a few minutes. Wow this is wierd.

Is it worth persevering with them??

• Posted

omg thank goodness for this site.. i am day 3 and feeling like i am on e comedown its awful. I am in AA and dont drink or do drugs but am really sad and unhappy with my life and have been out of work for ages.

recenty i have been less and less social which is really unusual to me and even the things i usually love to do aren't making me happy.

so i went to the doctor and now i feel like this it SUCKS

I'm hoping that these will invigorate me to get out there again so i can work and socialize but ive been in my dressing gown all day and have calls to make and feel like a zombie

urg

• Posted

Hi there,

This is my first time ever posting on a forum - woohoo - please bare with me!!

Been prescribed citalopram today after plucking up the courage to 'come out' and admit that im depressed. It's only taken me 8 years! Spent all of my twenties feeling like it was me against the world, like I was in my own cocoon wondering if I was normal. Sort of talking to myself in my head going over things I had done or said. Like you I had trouble sleeping, bad dreams, always anxious, very up and down, happy one min, crying the next, feelings of inner rage. Think I convinced myself that this was normal.

I either turned to food for comfort or [b:0d26fedf33]shopped[/b:0d26fedf33]. [b:0d26fedf33]Does anyone else buy stuff?[/b:0d26fedf33] Im talking about phases of buying random things like beads to take up beading but never doing anything with them. Weird I know. I've spent a fortune on crap that has never been used. Stuff is hidden all round the house (I hide all the stuff I buy cos my bf would have a fit, lol).

There is such a stigma about admitting to feeling down and I didn't want it to go on my GP notes. Such a relief to get it off my chest, even only to my GP (I haven't told my partner or anyone). Can't wait for the meds to kick in.

I will happily put up with sickness, dry mouth or any side effects as long as it helps to lift this cloud which has been hanging over me for so long!!

• Posted

Hi, it's taken me seven years to give in and see a doc so i'm not sure if i would call it a relief to read that there are others having the same problems with this med. I have been taking them for two weeks and i have hardly slept a wink though i was not sleeping well before this includes waking up in panic and a stiff jaw constantly. I was perscribed these because i am suffering bad angst and this is ment to calm the heart polpertations though i agree it has made them worse. The past 3 evenings after dinner i have been really sick. i have not noticed a change in my moods yet. From what i gather this is something you gotta stick with and see through. good luck peeps
  • Posted

Hi,

I pretty much had the same stuff as you. I suffer from bouts of really low self esteem, anxiety and panic attacks. Someone else said on here that they had good days however, it is the bad days that make you and those around you suffer. This is true and I also feel the doctor has made the right decision. I have also just started with Citalopram after going to the doctor. You see I have been on these kind of tablets but I made the mistake of stopping when I was feeling better. Because the truth is you do feel better so just carry on. The way I look at it is that an individual on medication for heart problems would not stop taking it because they feel better, a lot of it will be preventative and it is the same with the types of medication we are taking.

So do not feel the stigma that there used to be associated with taking this medication as It really does not exist any more. In fact these types of medication have been saving lives (in many ways) either of those who are taking them or their loved ones.

Best of luck, you will be fine

Luke

• Posted

hi, i'm glad i'm not the only one! and yeah eating and shopping i'm totally with you so you better get saving cos with this sickness food is evil your debit/credit card is your friend (and the random stuff you buy) i can't believe that there are so many people on this with sim probs, i always wondered if other people had these thoughts. although it's not great that i know no it's not normal lol
  • Posted

i feel bad when reading these messages like i'm a fraud. if i'm around people i have great days i mean i have got so good at hiding this everyone who meets me thinks i'm so happy smily and exciting to be around but, then when i'm alone it sets in even though i'm not lonely. this med has made hiding it very hard lets see how long can keep it up 4.
  • Posted

Hi,

I just found this discussion group through googling (I think that is an adjective now, is it?) my syptoms with taking Citalopram (20 mg) once a day.

I have been taking Citalopram since August (2014) and things in my life got better so I decided to wind down. I consulted my GP and Therapist at the time of winding down and they both agreed. So I started taking 10 mg Citalopram per day, half the origianal dose.

Recently, the past three weeks I then had some problems and became depressed. Without going into too much detail over the issues i.e. over sleeping, not caring about anything etc. I/We (Me, GP and Therapist) decided that I reduced the dosage too soon and that I should go back on the 20 mg.

So now back on the 20 mg of Citalopram on 3rd Nov 2014 and have seen this slow motion vision that you talked about. I just wondered how are things with yourself now and thank you for posting originally because I now know that someone (you) also has/have the same question.

Steve

• Posted

I'm the same.  I've been taking citalpram for 4 days and aren't sure whether to continue.  I've been suffering from body dysmoprhic disorder since October when a dermal filler went wrong and then my Mother died in May.  I was very happy before this all happened. I find the citalpram makes me feel drugged, very anxious and I can't sleep or eat. I feel too monged to try and work through all this painful stuff and I'm concerned about long term dependency. 
    • Posted

Hi Jenny , I'm feeling the same way and I'm on day 5 , wow ! I'm no doctor and I really can't tell you what to do but I've pretty much had it with these feelings I've been dealing with ......I'm just wondering after 5 days of 20mg's of this stuff can I just stop it without a problem ? ......there is one thing I'm very grateful for is that I've been able to sleep failry well .......no appitite and I've pretty much have been force feeding myself ,just a nervous wreak more so then ever before .....sweaty palms .......ect. ect.  .......a lot going on in my life at this time but the way I'm feeling now I'd rather deal with my panic attacks and depression as the doctor put it .....any help would be appreciated ...will I be OK just to stop after 5 days ?  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.