Thirsty?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi, I was wondering if anyone else diagnosed with ME is constantly thirsty? I've had all the blood tests (and have been diagnosed with ME), so diabetes is omitted. It seems to be worse on an evening and I'm always topping up my fluids with water and herbal teas-so plenty hydrated! It's not my worse symptom, but just wondering if it was common?

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

hi emma.

yes I have excess thirst, the worse the crash the bigger the thirst.

Clear of diabetes too.

Excess puffy eyes too...

Dont know why.

CFS 18 months

• Posted

Thanks for your reply, it's a relief that's it's just another stupid ME symptom! My eyes are puffy too, but I wasn't sure if that was just down to exhauation and getting a bit older! Do you get dry eyes too?
  • Posted

Yes, and i mix up a 2 litre bottle of drink - fruit juice mix including pineapple, 500ml, large pinch sea salt and fill with 1500 ml water... keep it with me all the time or pour off bottle to carry around but i aim only to drink that amount along with a very few hot drinks... I was told it is due to the body being "slightly" inflammed like flu. i have found this helps over all - Pinapple becasue it is anti inflamatory, but any set of fruit juices except grapefruit as it also intereferes with anti inflamation processes and is a hormone mimic in quantity.  
    • Posted

Thanks Andrew, the inflamation thing completely makes sense. I'm going to increase my pineapple intake, thanks for the tip!
  • Posted

think its due to overreaction adrenals/kidneys.

inflammation in body too.

• Posted

so much for it being physcological illness.

how can they explain that.

how much do you drink a day.

do you pee frquently too? or is your body holding on to it.

greg

• Posted

er fortunately my kidneys are not too bad, though i did get asked in an open office in front of 50 or so people by my team leader why i was always going to the loo... i explained equally loudly why, didnt get so much hassle after that though they did suggest i wait till my tea breaks to go, i pointed out i wasnt suffering kidney or bladder problems ot keep them happy... and perhaps they would like occupation health to supply a comode.... ah well ... but yes it is a problem and has to be planned for annoyingly... 
    • Posted

I probably drink about 6-7 pints of fluid a day. I definitely don't retain it! I seem to make more trips to the bathroom on an evening/night with it-maybe due to the gallons I've drunk in the daytime! Then I wake up during the night and have to drink more.
  • Posted

Hi Emma if you're drinking green tea as one of your fluids it won't help as it dehydrates ! Just a thought.  
    • Posted

Hi Sylvia, yes I do drink green tea (decaffinated)-probably 1-2 cups of it a day! I'll try cutting it out and see if it helps, thank you!
  • Posted

Hi emma

I get thirsty too but because I am also diabetic did not think it could also be down to the ME.  Being diabetic has been a bit of a smoke-screen in getting a clear diagnosis even though my ME symptoms started 6 years before my diabetes did.  And I also have puffy eyes, usually much worse in the mornings. Is it just down to constantly being tired or is there some other explaination I wonder?

• Posted

Oh, and my eyes water a lot too.  Especially when I go out in the cold or wind and when I wake up in the morning and in the evenings too when my eyes are tired.  Does anyone else get that?
    • Posted

Mine sometimes water on an afternoon when I have a lie down-it's weird as the rest of the time they are dry! I think everything is out of sync!
  • Posted

I get very dehydrated too. Ever since a kid, I just drink so much water every day. My mum even got me checked out because she was worried.

I never linked the two until now, but she's had me adding electrolyte sachets to my water and it has made a massive difference!

• Posted

Yes this is something I do too....I often have a Berrocca Tablet dissolved in a glass of water, and yes often in the afternonn, when I seem to be feeling more lethargic, and it always gives me the boost I need...Bron

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.