Thirsty?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi, I was wondering if anyone else diagnosed with ME is constantly thirsty? I've had all the blood tests (and have been diagnosed with ME), so diabetes is omitted. It seems to be worse on an evening and I'm always topping up my fluids with water and herbal teas-so plenty hydrated! It's not my worse symptom, but just wondering if it was common?

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi.

It really is bizarre how we can be so thirsty without diabetes.

Going to get tested for Insipid us.

Mia how many electrolyte sachets you take in a day.

Emma do you take much sugar??

I notice my thirst decreases and my symptoms lessen with high sugar drink like Virgin mojitos.

Sugar is broken down in it as it's simmered with water.

Maybe we have a problem breaking down Normal sugar and fructose.

• Posted

I've pretty much cut out all refined sugar, I maybe have it once a week in a slice of cake. I eat lots of fruit and have honey, but now I'm wondering if maybe I need more sugar...

Just googled insipid diabetes, pretty interesting as it can be a result from infection. Good luck with your tests.

• Posted

I take them as I feel I need them. I'll put 2 in my drink bottle in the morning and drink that alternately throughout the day along with normal water.

I think breaking down the sugar is a problem as my mother also has CFS and used to have seizures if she had too much sugar or carbs. She has now cut both out and feels better and no longer has the seizures.

• Posted

Hi.

Thanks Mia.

Was your mum a diabetic?

I find it bizarre we have diabetic symptoms without diabetes. I can feel a crash coming...if I don't eat for a while.

Hi Emma. If you are fructose intolerant.fruit make you worse and more thirsty.

Perhaps upper gut is colonised with sugar loving bacteria that give me a respite when I feed it lovingly.

• Posted

No she's not a diabetic. She tested me for diabetes at a young age though because she was worried about the amount of water I was drinking. Very strange.
  • Posted

Gregh emma Miabright.

If you are getting symptoms you could be 'pre-diabetic' or you may have developed diabetes.  Type 2 diabetes can just come on at any age and you don't have to be obese or have poor diet to develop it despite how they go on about this link.  If you have family history you also have a greater chance of it.  When were you last tested for diabetes?  Might be worth having another test.  Having both conditions can make each one more difficult to deal with sad

• Posted

Have recently been tested. No diabetes. Thirst just seems to be one of many unfortunate symptoms of CFS.
    • Posted

I think I've been tested twice over the past year and then a few years previously. It's always been fine, and no family history but it's something I find very weird!
  • Posted

Hi Emma;  I have just noted your question re Thirst.  Am wondering if it has been along-term side affect, or have you just started noticing this?  I do know that when commencing a new drug, I often notice my increase thirst (eg Neurontin)...should this be the case with you...starting on a new medication (either medicininal or herbal) ??  Bron
    • Posted

Hi Bron, I've had it for a long while. I'm not on medication, but numerous supplements! I'm slowly cutting down to see which ones actually do anything so if it is a side effect I'll look out for it. Thanks for your help smile
  • Posted

i get thirsty a lot too, and frequently have to empty my bladder which is often (but not always) worse at night.  I don't think I have a good relationship with sugar and mostly stick to a low sugar/carb diet.  I am not currently on any medication and have been tested negative numerous times for diabetes and my gp is convinced i do not have insipidus either.  When i'm at my worst with fatigue and have to lie down and go into one of those horrible groggy/hazy kind of sleeps I wake up so dehydrated that I can barely even speak and get the dire urge to drink lots of water which does make me feel 50% better again, the weird thing I find about it is I don't feel thirsty before I go to lay down and can have had plenty to drink during that day.  So some of the ideas that have been mentioned above relating to possible issues with sugar digestion/metabolism ring bells with me, I have often wandered about that.  I had questioned a GP previously about amylase production but I had a blood test and apparently the levels relevant to that in my body show i must be producing it in good amounts 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.