This burning sensation is driving crazy

Posted , 15 users are following.

The above is really driving crazy.  I am sure there must be something wrong, this constant burning as if I have got urine infection.  All tests came neg.  Anybody from this forum have this problem, the burning sensation and abdominal discomfort are the main symptoms.  Going to see gp and ask about checking bladder.  I keep wondering whether it is AV or urine infection and am concerned if I am not aware I have got a urine infection, it can damage my kidney.  I do drink  lot of water and pass urine with no pain and can hold my urine.  I know there is something not right but nobody seems to know what it is.  If it is AV, does that mean I will have to put with this discomfort for the rest of my life.  It is there all the time, no respite at all.  Thanks

2 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Oh dear

have you been tested for thrush and bacterial vaginitis as well?

• Posted

Hi Marie,When I first got AV my tests for thrush and bv came back negative and like you I wondered why  the hell I felt like I was on fire down there. I don't feel like that now(thankfully) but it has taken me a few years to find something that suits me. First you must see your GP to rule out anything else that could be going on. I had a cystoscopy and scans on the bladdder and horrible internal. When all that comes back negative you are then left with us ladies who have had to work out what our bodies will tolerate and what they reject. Some like vagiferm, some Gynest or if your lucky you will find a non hormone route will work like premeno ovules, actigel, balance active, boots moisturising vaginal gel or replens. It's expensive but trial and error is the only way. Initially when the burning is very severe you might find everything stings and you need to tranquilise the area first. I used just olive oil for about 3 weeks just to try to help things to settle before I started on other things. Hope you get on ok and find relieve soon, let us know how you get on.
    • Posted

Thanks Deb, will go and discuss with GP and ask to look into bladder.  The gynae has ruled out anything serious and said he does not recommend any further investigations but did not mention AV but to come back if I am spotting.  I have still got the ovestin gp prescribed but have not used due to side-effects when I used it last time.  I prefer to go with a non hormonal route gp told me to go in health shop. I can put up with it if I am certain it is nothing serious just AV.  It does feel I am on fire down below.  I understand as soon as  treatment stops, the problem starts again therefore there is no long term relief without medicaion.
  • Posted

Hi

Please stop worrying and go and see your GP asap. 

From exoerience I was suffering badly from the burning the same. No abdominal pain though. I had been treating myself for Thrush which had been making my condition even worse. My GP sent me to see a Consultant. Diagnosed with Atrophic Vaginitis on medication ever since which controls it. Life is good. Go seek help. 

• Posted

Thanks, just been to GP, it is GP who diagnosed AV not Gynae.  What medication are you on,told her do not want any HRT cream, will put up with it.  I really believe I have got a urine infection but urine specimen was very clear and was neg, therefore I will stop worrying about urine infection & acccept it is AV I have got.
    • Posted

Hi Maire

my Atrophic Vaginitis was diagnosed as severe. I use Vagifem suppos twice a week. Its changed my life. I coukdnt be without it. 

• Posted

I'm new on this site,so I hope that I'm asking the question to the right person.I've recently been prescribed vagifem tabs ,I'm on my second week of use,but as yet ,no improvement, the burning inside and out is driving me mad,I've had this for five months now,with not relief at all,I was originally prescribed estriol cream.but caused severe burning. I've finally seen a gyni,who has prescribed the vagifem,how long should it take to work, I feel that I'm at the end of my tether, and finding it difficult to cope with life
    • Posted

It's different for everyone but I have been on Estrace and now yuvafem since last August. After the first month I was thrilled when I would say I was about 75 % better, After months of depression and constant burning. Spent my days sitting with an ice pack between my legs and on Norco for the pain. About a month ago my symptoms returned so I increased my Yuvafem to three times a week. I'm at a point where this AV has changed my life so much that I am trying to figure out how to afford the mona lisa treatments.

Hang in there you are not alone and being on this site to get advice has been a lifesaver to me. I get really down that at 62 this is what I have to learn to live with. I just can't accept this

• Posted

Hi, has anyone gotten this due to breastfeeding and giving birth? Was there a medication that worked with breastfeeding?

Thanks

• Posted

Hi Marie,

Not sure if you can see my other replies to AV.

My experience with AV was so devastating. After nearly 2 1/2 years of some burning, dryness and severe itching and bleeding from scratching or just washing when bathing - my numerous trips back and forth to doctors and the hospital for test of kidney, bladder and vaginal cancer, I was totally exhausted, yet perservered because I knew it was something. Had never heard of AV and didn't know what it was. Finally, I went from a discomfort of 100 down to 1 and am doing marvelous on the AV! I am so relieved now that I can't even believe I went through all that I did. I was prescribed Triamcinolone Ointment. Works wonders!!!!! I still use it periodically because I don't want that dryness and itch to come back by an means. Ask your doctor to prescribe it and you will see the difference. Make sure it's the ointment and not the cream as the cream is not effective.

I wish you all the best smile

• Posted

I'm glad triamcinolone has helped you charlie but anyone thinking of using a steroid treatment should be very careful, it can have side effects and a nurse told me it actually thins the skin. Not something you want if you have AV.
    • Posted

This reply should have been sent to you Deb. (sorry)

Yes Marie I realize the Triamcinolone ointment is a steroidal ointment, it can also be used for eczema and can cause thinning of the skin. For me, it has/does work and I have not experienced thinning of my skin in any areas. I am so very thankful the Triamcinolone ointment relieved me of AV as a couple other things did not work and as bad as I was suffering. Marie I really hope that you find/get something to find relief also. wink

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.