This can be a dangerous medication - beware!

Posted , 64 users are following.

I took 5mg of amlodipine without problems for about a month. After the first-week period of adjustment, in which it completely knocked me out, I felt normal again and was overjoyed that it lowered and kept my usual 150+/90+ BP down to a textbook 120/80 (with minor variation).

But then side effects began to develop. I found my sleep increasingly poor, until I could only reach a half-sleep, no matter how much exercise I had had that day (or benadryls or Ambiens I took), "twilight sleep" I think it's called, and I arose as tired as when I went to bed, as if I hadn't slept at all.

Then I noticed that I would suddenly have shoulder and upper back muscle pain within an hour of taking amlodipine. The doctor lowered my dose to 2.5mg of amlodipine plus 40mg of benazepril, which brought only temporary improvement. The painful muscle spasms returned.

And most disturbing were the severe hot flashes that woke me up at night, as if the room were on fire, but the thermometer indicated it was only about 70°F (21°C) and my own body temperature was sub-normal, only 97 F or so (36 C), but despite my feelings of being overheated, I did not sweat - except from the soles of my feet, which is unusual for me. But my skin felt like it was on fire.

Then I would often wake with my brain "on fire" and itching like a bad allergy that I couldn't get to to scratch, and my eyes burning and streaming with tears.

The end of the amlodipine is when I opened the trunk (boot) of my car and blood vessels in the tips of my fingers where they had contacted the edge of the trunk (boot) lid burst and my fingers swelled up. I have never had weak blood vessels, or anything like that happen before.

Calcium blockers cause the blood vessels to relax and thin out - and now I wonder if not become weak. That would be a great setup for a stroke. I basically had a stroke in my fingers.

I will NEVER take this medication again. I believe it can lead to muscle pain, unrestorative interrupted sleep, and worse, strokes. I now consider it poison for me.

By the way, amlodipine has been banned in the Netherlands and other countries because its dangerous negative side effects outweigh its benefits. I don't think the Dutch are arbitrary or capricious in their decisions - I totally agree. This substance should be banned everywhere.

15 likes, 121 replies

121 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hello Colibri,

Yes...this drug should be off the market everywhere. I presented much the same symptoms and more, but my dr refused to listen. I endured the side effects and 2  1/2 years later I now have periperal neuropathy all over my body. Extremely slow recovery from nerve damage. Some how we need to start a discusssion that brings us all together as a collective voice of experience on theis drug and present it to the medical boards, FDA (which already know about the devastating effects) our elected officials. This drug MUST be gotten rid of. Let's everyone who follows this post start doing what I have done, copy and paste and print these discussion from various web blogs as testistimonials. I have also gathered enough clinical information about this drug and it's effects. Now I'm in the process of looking for a law firm that is willing to start a class action lawsuit. Many have suffered debilitating effects and need to be compensated and more importantly will possibly keep others form being effected by this drug. WHO IS WITH ME ON THIS EFFORT!

• Posted

Hi, Michele! You'll see MORE symptoms I forgot to mention at the end of these comments. I'm so sorry you suffered 2 1/2 years of it!!! It frightens me that this drug has damaged my nervous system - I still don't feel as I did before amlodipine . I'm with you, but I don't know where to start. Big pharma is a mightly opponent, and generic amlodipine (not Norvasc as it used to be) is being produced by a huge company owned and operated in India.
    • Posted

Hi michele20247,

I am in agreement with you. I know my kidney doctor told me the drug couldn't be causing the symptoms I was having. After two ER visits, one where they thought I was having a heart attack and the other for being so dizzy, I refused to take the drug. Thank God, I wasn't on it that long. My body is very drug-sensitive.

I fail to understand why doctors fail to listen to the patients. They look at you like you are nuts.

Please keep me apprised if you find a lawyer who will take the case.

Thanks for sharing. Take care and hope you are doing well.

Sharon

• Posted

I think all BP medication should be monitored as I have had nasty effects from several of them. Sometimes my prescription is not review for years I know Doctors are struggling with increased lists but I think they are relying on computers far to much. I only took Amolidpine for two days the side effects were within a couple of hours of my taking it have now been put on Floxidpine after two weeks BP 141/102 heart rate 74 with occasional cardiac Arrthmia and a salty taste and dry mouth , the BP is the same as when I do not take any medication. A lot of my problem is white coat syndrome. Two years ago my doctor did a twenty four hour test and all was well, he retired new young Doctor decided to restart BP medication. I am with you  fed up Jacky  
    • Posted

Michelle, I am with you if you are able to find a law firm for this. I have had some very devastating effects from using this medicine for a number of years. I fear not being able to return to a normal day's activity and routines due to this medication. Please let me hear from you if you have been able to find a firm. Thank you so much. I stress daily about this. 

• Posted

Hi Michele, I totally agree that this drug should be banned. I would join a class action if you can find a 'no win, no fee' lawyer to take the case against Amlodopine. I feel it has stolen 3 years of my life.

• Posted

That tells you a lot right there.  Frightening!
    • Posted

Michele, Lets get the B******s! The Artery in my R Leg looks like a Corkscrew. I am Crippled and the Doctors wanted to do a By-pass .....Ankle to Groin....MY Ass!I am oFF and Walking3 miles a day Changed Diet and Working out Everyday. Off ALL Med except Statin(goingto VitaminK-2,MK& for Arterial Pliability.Opposite of Arterialsclerosis.I too am searching for a Lawyer......Any Luck? 5 have turned me Down so Far.....Waiting for the Johnny Cochran of O.J.Fame to call me.....If the Glove don't fit- You must Aquit.

• Posted

Thanks for sharing this.  It confirms what I've been feeling about Amlopidine.  I've stopped taking it.  I'm dieting and exercising ... 
    • Posted

Good for you, Louise. I so glad it confirmed your feelings. For some of us, amlodipine is truly a drug from Hell.
  • Posted

I'm sorry it's taken so long to get back to your responses. I haven't had access to the Internet for a while. I wanted to add that amlodipine (even at 2.5mg a day) ALSO accelerated my heart rate alarmingly, from its usual plus/minus 60 bpm to 80+!!! And the doctor just prescribed a higher dosage of atenolol - from 25 to 75 mg to keep the HR under control rather than consider the danger of this drug.
    • Posted

Thanks, Colibri.  I've stopped taking it.  I didn't feel right about it from the start.  Swelling ankles are not a good sign - your legs act like big pumps and it's important that the veins and articles do a good job.

My challenge is to stop being a 'hot reactor'.  

• Posted

I took amlodipine for two weeks and I was dizzy felt dreadful. Went on holiday and had to leave at 4 am for a flight so didn't take the medication 5mg. That night I took it. I couldn't breathe if I had been able to get to a hospital I would have but we were in the middle of nowhere with no reception. I thought I was going to die. I stopped and survived but I couldn't walk more than a few steps or go upstairs for many weeks without having to rest on each stair had diarrhoea continuously, leg pains, dizzy,the list goes on. 8 weeks later I can walk on the flat, still coming home from work and going to bed, barely able to remember work related thngs I could before still can't walk upstairs without getting breathless and have to continuously rest throughout the day. I have improved a lot but how much longer will it take to get back to normal. Blood pressure all over the place and going to have a 24 hour monitor to check it again. Really concerned about never getting back to normalfore
    • Posted

Almo, I really feel your pain! Since I stopped amlodipine, I have felt out of breath and totally exhausted, and today I felt so terribly weak I was afraid this would be the day I would diel

While I was exhausted and wanted to lie back down, my blood pressure skyrocketed to 170/110 and only alprazolam (xanax) brought it down to 145/88. My ACE inhibitor (benazepril) and ARB (losartan) had no effect at all! But of course, xanax made me so drowsy that all I had to go back to bed. Later, a little vodka helped a lot, alleviating some of xanax's drowsiness - maybe it flushed more of that poisonous amlodipine out of my body!

All my best in your finding the right meds for you!

• Posted

So sorry. Hope you feel better soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.