This is clearly not the group for me!

Posted , 14 users are following.

While I think this group is brilliant for anyone struggling after a knee replacement when they're having difficulties, I've come to the conclusion it is definitely not the group for me.  There is so much negativity.  While I totally understand that for some, especially people who are more likely to seek out a group for support because they have problems, it's ideal, the suggestion that it's normal to have excrutiating pain from a knee replacement I just will never agree with.  Yes, some may well have severe pain, but many will not and many will not struggle as is SO OFTEN suggested on here.  I recommended this group to someone waiting for a knee replacement and they ended up at their doctors with depression because they were frightened out of their mind by what they'd read on here.   I was horrified when they told me.   I would NEVER, therefore, recommend it to anyone who is going to have a knee replacement.  I don't see any point at all in working someone up to a state of anxiety before an operation.  I feel it's morally wrong.  I have met some wonderful people on here, who will be in my thoughts.   Marilyn - I hope you get a date soon!  But I've also met the most arrogant that I've come across in all my life and when their words are directed at the vulnerable this can do severe damage.  As we've seen, one lady thinking of putting off her knee op because she'd been frightened by a person on this group, and also the chap who wrote 'shame on you' for frightening him so much before his knee replacement that he found very tolerable.  I can't - won't - be part of a group that I believe KNOWS they are frightening people before an operation by telling them 'you are likely to get this pain that is hell' and so on.  There seems to be a lack of concern when someone has expressed their anxiety from what has been said to them on here - just a justification of 'well this will happen to you'.  Even when someone said recently how well it was going they were told not to get too cocky.  As a group to help people who have difficulties, it's ideal, but for someone about to go into an operation there is no balance at all and they would be better to steer well clear.

I do wish all of you with diffulties a good recovery and I'm sure at the end of it you'll be very pleased that you got your knee replacement.  At three months post TKR my knee gives me no trouble at all, and it's felt very natural for weeks.  For those thinking of having a TKR, I personally had virtually no pain, stopped painkillers on the second day and everything has gone like a dream - it couldn't have been better, and I'm looking forward to the next knee being done soon.  PLEASE, if you're thinking of having the operation, keep in mind that more people seek out a group because they need support because they are the ones with difficulties, where the ones without any problems, more often than not, don't go online to talk about it, but just get on with their lives, enjoying their new knee, with wonderful mobility and lack of the horrible pain of arthritis.

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I did not discover this forum until after my TKR and wish I had, as I had litlle knowledge of what to expect.  As I was fairly fit and active, I expected to sail through TKR (I was told by my Surgeon that recovery time was three months) and when I did not, became quite depressed, but after discovering this forum I found that other people also had problems and were dealing with them in a mostly positive and good humoured way. 
    • Posted

Good point, Wendy, if youare led to expect plain sailing and don't get it after TKR, that can be just as frighteningand depressing as reading the possible negatives before.

?Are you feeling any better?

• Posted

Yes this a wonderful place to 'kick things about' & find you are not alone & what you're experiencing is par for the course.

I wish you well Wendy.

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

I am fine now thank you Cynthia.  There have been a few bumps in the road but I can now do more or less anything that age and general fitness allow.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.