This is ridiculous! Why are we not warned about the anxiety and depression!

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hot flashes and mood swings. That's all ever heard about. I watched a YouTube video of a woman who said she could deal with the physical symptoms but it's the crushing depression that's getting her. I'm on an AD. I know I should be on a higher dose but I don't want to be on them for the rest of my life so I feel it will be easier to come of them on a lower dose. Researchers needs to be done on the "S"(I can't use the word or the moderator will delete this)rates among menopausal women. Yesterday I was fine. Thursday I even went out to a reception. Today I'm like big slug. Chores to do but still laying around.

Okay that's my vent for the day.😭😖😫

4 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hey honey, everything you say is so true!!!ive repeated it so many times on this sight. It should come with a warning! I hit the menopause nearly 4 years ago now. And the menopause has been hitting me everyday, ever since! It started with night sweats, honestly, the amount of pillows I've chucked out, I've lost count! I'd wake up shivering cold and dive into a hot bath just to go to bed and for it to repeat itself. But, by a zillion miles, the depression was and still is crippling. I also was on AD before the menopause and the like you didn't want to take anything more. But after feeling that I couldn't take anymore, I went back to my Dr and first tried hrt, which made no difference so now I take a mood stabiliser. Slight improvement if I'm honest. It slightly takes the edge off. Not brilliant, I still have days where I cry but some more than others. Message me anytime honey and privately if you'd prefer. When I read your post, I thought I wes reading an old one of mine that I'd written, so similar was it!!! Donna xxx

• Posted

Thank you Donna! I'm still working can you believe it? It's by the grace of God that I get up and make it to work. I used to be early, all peppy and happy. I don't know what happened to that woman. I'm late every day. Most days I have to fake smile and pretend all is ok. You ladies have helped me so much!?🙏 Just knowing I'm not alone and that I can come on the forum and talk with "my ladies" gives me some relief.

• Posted

Hey honey, you are not alone. I'm with you all the way! It's horrendous! But you are strong Juanita, stronger than you give yourself credit for. That woman hasn't gone. You're still you. However, you're going through a tough time. We all are. We are together as one. There is strength in numbers honey. Godless you, Donna xxx

• Posted

I know...it is total BS!  I posted some reading material the other day that guidelines are being set to diagnose menopause depression vs clinical depression. If there is no history of depression and it hits mainly women after 40...well...DUH!   It will probably still take drs 10 years to figure it out.  It is all to push pills.  If it doesn’t work, they just up the dosage, or change to a other pill.  I have nothing against pills, believe me... BUT if someone is taking them, and it doesn’t seem to be helping...insread of increasing, etc...drs need to look in another direction!  ...I’d be on my butt today too, but my husband is with our other son...I’m here with my other...he is like Sonic the Hedgehog (he has severe special needs)...never stops.  I increased my amitripyline last night... I am wobbling and shaking all over the place and I am feeling very overwhelmed at the moment .  I swear, I think I am going to have a stroke one of these days. I’m sorry you feel like a turd Jaunita!  But, vent away...we all getcha!  I was pondering gender reassignment like I see on tv...maybe we can get a deal if we both do it🤔😂🤗

• Posted

😂😂😂😂😂 You know men have no idea what it feels like to not feel like yourself. They say men go through a kind of male menopause, but it's nothing like this. I've had some physical symptoms, but the depression is just crazy!

I used to enjoy simple things like just watching tv. I watch it but it's like someone else is watching it and there is no enjoyment.

• Posted

Oh, you mean “andropause” (male menopause).  I’m sure their only worry is not rising to the occasion...if you catch my drift.  with gender reassignment they do not get menopause. I say they should!  Instead of just estrogen, put in some ovaries too while they’re at it!  Experience ALL the joys of being a woman!  🤣

• Posted

I completely know what you mean, Juanita. Sometimes, I feel so detached and disconnected from myself, almost as though I am not really present, and it is so hard to connect with others and engage in activities and conversation. Saying that, I can be experiencing absolutely crippling depression, where I don't think that I can possibly go on, but then it lifts partly or sometimes completely, and it feels like bliss. I feel calm, optimistic, animated, like my best self, and all of the things that I previously fretted over seem unimportant.

The hardest thing for me is never knowing how I am going to feel from one moment to the other, as well as not knowing when I am finally going to get out of this tunnel for good!

I know that I just "have to do my time", so I figure that I might as well be productive, even when I feel absolutely hideous. It's so hard, though, I know.

Bev xo

• Posted

Yes, the hardest part is not knowing how you're going to feel day to day. I have gone to bed feeling great, and the next morning I will be filled with so much doom and gloom I can't get out of bed!

• Posted

EXACTLY Juanita! Not like menopause is something new. Aging can be depressing anyway. The weather and life in general make for low moods. Some people struggle with anxiety/depression and sleep issues all of their lives. I'd like to know the "S" rate too. Or how many "S's" among women have to do with hormonal imbalance. I am VERY thankful for you and all of the sisters here.

• Posted

When Kate Spade committed "S" the first thing I thought about was menopause. And if she was a person that had been suffering from depression all her life, menopause probably just pushed her over the edge. I'm thankful for "my ladies".?🙏🤗

• Posted

I agree.  It is so important to seek out help, no matter how embarrassed one may feel.  More important... to keep the dialogue about menopause going.  I personally have not had any dark thoughts thus far...but, I am actively trying different things to help myself.  Talk with doctors.  Everybody in my house hears me blabber on.  Of course you ladies as well!  Take good care🤗

• Posted

Ah...I know!! I did the anxiety/depression part for 7 years! It was horrendous! Now it is gone...the physical symptoms...aches pains...fatigue at times...headaches are still here...but I can function through it. It does get better. I have been travelling all over this summer and having a blast. Tonight I am actually throwing a dinner party for the first time in 10 years. I feel awesome even with the never ending headache I have had for the past week. It gets better! The anxiety will eventually go away and you will have your life back.
    • Posted

I can work through the physical symptoms like you said. But depression is a soul sucking life sucking monster!🤯

• Posted

SOOOOO glad to hear that! I love to hear stories of women who have "made it to the other side". Good for you!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.