This is the WORST

Posted , 10 users are following.

So.. until a few days ago I had never heard of GA. Sept. 1 I started visiting a tanning salon. I was going three days a week for ten minutes to lie in a bed. After about a month I noticed two really itchy patches, being concerned and terrified it was skin cancer, I went the dermatologist. From the time the first two spots appeared to when I actually went in for my appointment, I had developed 9 new spots. My dermatologist did a biopsy last Friday, since then I have developed so many and I mean SO SO many spots you can't count them. They are immensely itchy. It's damn near unbearable. My doctor won't do a thing until the report comes back and I am literally suffering physically and emotionally. Everyday I find new spots, some tiny and some larger than my thumb. What can I do? Does anyone else have this spots? Is anyone itching this badly?

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi - about Humira - Would this be an off-label use of Humira for GA?  What are the side-effects?  My doc is reluctant to use these drugs because of the side-effects.
    • Posted

Humira is off label use for GA. There are six published medical reports touting the success of Humira. Premera won't approve the expense. My doctor is the head of Dermatology at UW in Seattle. He is appealing (for the third time) Premera's decision on my behalf. I'll take the side effects over the rash!

• Posted

Hi Cathygardengal, I have spoken to 3 dermatologists about treating GA.  They were with the Cleveland Clinic, a prominent New York Hospital, and the Boca Raton area.  All 3 were on Castle Connolly's Top Doctors list.  None of them mentioned Humira as a treatment.  Can you send me the name of the doctor at UW Hospital that you consulted with?  I would like to consult with him.  Thanks.

• Posted

Google Humira for granuloma annulare then click on on update. All the research will be there. Take it to your doctors, that's what I did. 

My doctor is retiring and I haven't won the third appeal for insurance to cover Humira. In the meantime I'm looking into bioidentical hormone replacement therapy as one of our forum gals has had success. It makes sense to me because this started in peri menopause.

• Posted

are you taking synthroid?  Mine started around that time, and I have read reports that there may be a connection.  The makers of synthroid report that a red bumpy rash may be a side effect.  And GA research suggest a connection with thyroid disease.
    • Posted

Hi, tests show no thyroid issues. I really want to try Humira; so disappointed that Premera won't approve. It's $6000 a month.

frenglishcarole said she had good clearing going on a bioidentical hormone replacement therapy. That is the natural way, not chemical HRT. This makes sense because my GA started during peri menopause and some women have clearing during (hormonal) pregnancy. BHRT is personally tailored to you after blood tests. I'm trying to see if insurance will cover anything as it's expensive, about $800 to start.

• Posted

I just looked up the Humira site and the illnesses it treats are all autoimmune. A naturopath I consulted told me that GA and LS are autoimmune.   Maybe we should be looking at non-orthodox methods of treating autoimmune disease.
    • Posted

I agree. I wonder if Humira would give us a deal if insurance won't. Perhaps we should contact the study doctors for input

• Posted

Humira works with about 7 shots.  Pentoxyfilline 400mg 3 times per day but it takes much longer, at least 8 months.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.