this is tough

Posted , 9 users are following.

I in a sense am glad i found this sight to know that i am not alone.  I have been taking venlafaxine for 9 years and everything people are talking about is exactly what i am going through.  The buzzing of the brain, sickness, sweating, bad thoughts extreme dizziness.  The hard part for me is I am a miner i work under ground 1,680 feet and its hard to operate big machinery in confined spaces dealing with multiple bosses and co workers, and try to pretend to be normal this stinks for all of us and yes it makes me dislike doctors for not being honest.  Any possitive thoughts please send my way and I will do the same thanks for reading.   

3 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi,

I was on venlafaxine for 2 years and my doc said I should have been on it for only 1 year. I had a horrific time coming off it with all of the withdrawals you are having. I found advice on this forum saying that taking Benadryl helps with the withdrawals.  I did take it and got me to where I am now - sanity.

• Posted

Thankyou so much sandra i am getting off this electrical box with typing keys and getting some benadryl and.....sanity!
    • Posted

Hi Sandra, Please could you tell me which Benadryul you took as there are three listed all with different ingredients. Thery are, Acrivistine, Cetirizine and Diphenhydramine. Thank you.
    • Posted

Does this help with the mental side of the withdrawals?? Two months of this is getting bit much n need try something to help..before even goin onto another anti/d.. 
  • Posted

Darrell73'

There is hope, I took my last Ven. on 16/07/2014. It was hell for a while, just as you describe. This is a hellish drug and I get angry that it is ever prescribed. Today I feel so much better and have my life and FAMILY back. The only withdrawl I still have is some anxiety symtoms and I am sure they will disolve.

Hang in, it's worth it.

DaveTTT

• Posted

Dave, I have heard that B6 vit can help anxiety. I have ordered some. but not the 50Mg dose just 2Mg as 50 is an overdose and can cause other problems.
    • Posted

Thanks, I'll try that.

DaveTTT

• Posted

I have taken a vitamin B complex, omega3, and a multi vitamin complex all the time I was on Effexor.  Been off it a year now, but will continue to take the supplements.  I also take herbal tablets from health food shop for anxiety, but don't know how much this all helps.  I won't stop though.  Anything better than anti depressants if we can manage without.  
    • Posted

Thanks Anne.  If I may ask how long did your withdrawal effects last. And also, how did you manage to come off Effexor?
    • Posted

I took my last Venlafaxine a year ago, but sadly the anxiety has returned.  Not depression though.  
  • Posted

Why not switch over to cymbalta. That's what I did. I one day. No affects. No side affects as you get on effexor. Just a thought. It saved me and I've tried most of them over the years.
    • Posted

That may be an opton if things do not get better within 45 days i have now been off effexor/venlaflaxine only for a week after 9 years of use but i will remember this for an option.
  • Posted

Oh Darrell, that is not good!! I used to work for a large airline as an in flight instructor for all new cabin crew teaching safety and relevant flight deck procedures with 4.00 am starts and long days. Eventually I had to stop work as the depressive phases became worse and I was put on Venlafaxine 14 yrs ago.  

Coping without it in your system is tortuous hell and I am digging deep to get through this, I thought the Benadrl was helping yesterday but certainly hasn't today.  I have lost so many years of my life to this and cancer treatment that it has made me really embittered and angry and would love to have some quality time now in my life.  I will try anything to soften all this, and if it anything changes this, I'll certainly let you know, take care and thanks, Susan.

• Posted

Susan reading your post touches a very soft spot in my heart for you.  It sounds like you have been through alot and just the way you word things sounds very clear how i feel.  I think you struggling with cancer is just enough to set sombody over edge I think your a very strong person.  I hope and i have a feeling that you and i and all others will find peice in life.  I think people like us feel like this cause we are more in tune with the world we know its not wright and it effects us but me knowing that i am not the only person that suffers deppression and anxiety makes me feel that I am not alone.  I found a moment of peice with my wife tonight and i think you should have a movie night if you havent watched, watch them it makes you feel good, heavan is for real, moms night out and courageous.  Hang in there Susan and keep in touchcheesygrin
    • Posted

Hello Susan, I am so sorry you have been through so much.  What a strong lady you are.  It took me 10months to withdraw from Effexor, and it is a year since I stopped.  Taking it very slowly made sure I did not get any withdrawals.  I do hope you are managing.  I did not know about Benadryl,  I decreased really slowly, and so far only little "blips" of depression, but anxiety getting worse.  The Effexor suited me well and I had no depression or anxiety whilst taking it.  As I am a pensioner, and have been on anti depressants for over 20 years, my doctor suggested I try to manage without the Effexor.  I never want to go back on it because of the difficulty withdrawing from it, and hope I can manage the rest of my life drug free.

Hope all goes well with you.  Keep us updated please.  Take care

• Posted

Hi Darrell, yes I know that physically and mentally I have been through a hell of a lot in life and this is just a fraction of it but, I am not a victim, I must survive this for my children and grandchildren but as you get older things like this get much harder to deal with and come out the other side of.  I am really struggling and would just like to see a light at the end of the tunnel.  As I said I am very angry and embittered and this is not me, I guess I know it's going to be along road and time is running out, life really sucks!! 
    • Posted

Hi Anne, thanks for your kind comments, I like you have been decreasing the Venlafaxine from 300 mg over a period of 6 months but I have been suffering bad withdrawal and anxiety, but since stopping completely very recently I feel that I have completed lost my mind.  I am now on trazadone and Valium to get me through this stage so feel I have stopped one drug for another.  I am amazed that you are managing without anything, A REAL ACHIEVEMENT in my eyes.  Just hanging in there and will keep in touch, many thanks, Susan.
    • Posted

Hello Susan, how are you now?  Are you still having bad withdrawals?  I did not have any withdrawls as I did it slowly, so did not need any other medication.  i have always taken Omega3 and Vitamin B complex and multi vitamins and minerals, so just carry on with them.  I don't know if they really help or are just having a placebo effect!!  I am getting anxiety though, and finding that difficult to deal with.  The Effexor stopped all emotions and anxiety.  Since stopping I find I cry now at anything, and anxiety there nearly all the time.

How is anxiety levels?  Please let us know how you are now.

• Posted

Hi Anne, 

Thanks for your kind caring comments, still struggling and wondering why the hell I took myself off them??  Yes, the anxiety is profound and also the outbursts of emotion, crying, anger, irritability and guilt?  I am now realising that this is going to take months not weeks and I am honestly questioning my reasoning on this one.  I do take multi vitamins + vitamin c since my cancer diagnosis but don't know if this really helps, thanks again,

Susan.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.