This may help with chronic fatigue

Posted , 10 users are following.

A family member has been suffering on an off for two years with CFS/ME symptoms.  Its affected his life - work, social etc.  A few months ago he went to a doctor who did a lot of PHYSICAL tests on him including blood, stomach, urine etc.  There was a lot of bad bacteria in his gut.  He had bad smelling wind.  As a result of this the doctor prescribed a complete change of diet to a high protein and high fat type regime.  ABSOLUTELY NO SUGAR at all - not even fruit. Also vitamin supplements D, C, Amino Acids and a few others I can't remember.   The change has been remarkable.  While not up to previous energy levels he is 90% better.  He has lost weight and eats chicken, meat, fish and loads of vegetables, eggs and dairy.  The gut is the body's brain and if we put rubbish in it like sugar this may be one of the results.  Just one person's experience but it may help other's too.

I also want to add that I wonder whether this thread is in the wrong place being in the brain and nervous system section.  If CFS is indeed connected to diet then the thread is in the wrong place.  Since no one knows what it is why has it been put here?

2 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I thought it was widely recognised that ME/CFS was an auto -immune illness.

30 years ago my boyfriend had it.Extreme tiredness, glands swelling,night sweats,muscle pain.After much investigation ,he was sent to hospital for removal of a gland in his neck,as they thought it was Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma.Around the same time, I got a rather nasty septic throat-my tonsils were white and I couldn't swallow at all.My doctor took one look in my throat and asked me who did I know with glandular fever.Boyfriends symptoms fell into place then.His tests showed no cancer, and he continued to be exhausted etc: for a few years.The only thing which helped was taking vitamins , pacing himself ,having a good diet and drinking copious amounts of liquid.

The thing is, he'd had flu and gastroenteritis immediately prior to glandular fever,so a triple whammy to his immune system caused the ME/CFS.

http://www.meassociation.org.uk/2015/02/us-scientists-claim-robust-evidence-that-mecfs-is-a-biological-illness-columbia-university-press-release-27-february-2015/

• Posted

Hi Beth, I think there is still pretty widespread mis-perception about it.  I was told about 6 years ago that I won't have any auto-immune condition as they have checked my blood for markers (they were only looking for sarcoidosis as far as I knew, not sure how these tests work, so whether they would have noticed markers for anything else at the same time i have no idea or if they were just saying that to make me go away), but in the last 3 months have been told I may just have to accept that I have ME/CFS.  The two statements don't really add up, for years they have been telling me I don't have a certain type of condition to now telling me I have to accept this diagnosis, doesn't really fill you with confidence.  Although I appreciate they don't have all the answers so I can't expect miracles.

I think perhaps some doctors in the past have just been prepared to stick their necks out on the line and call it auto-immune as they can see it from a logical point of view and believed thats what it must be, where other doctors just won't accept it until its proven, which of course they now have and will have to treat it as such from here forward

• Posted

Unfortunately, there are currently no biomarkers for ME/CFS. Relatively little research has gone into this illness, so nothing has been proven at this point. Many researchers do think it's a virus but have been unable to find it. Perhaps with the publication of the IOM (Institute of Medicine) report in the U.S. this illness will get the attention and the research money it deserves. This report has been widely publicized in the U.S.
  • Posted

Hi I havent been here for a long time but wanted to say that my friend has come off the Nistatin now and is on massive doses of probiotic tablets.  He has started eating more dairy products too but still no sugar.  He is definitely improved since he cut out the sugar but is still not back to normal. Stil gets tired days but not like it was two years ago.  I wonder if he ever will fully recover.

One thing I question.  On this site there have been a few mentions of the causes of CFS - for example, viruses cause, stress causes it... and so on.  My own research has not thrown up any conclusive medical evidence to support these claims.   Why do these ideas persist in this case?    

• Posted

Two years has passed.  My relative is much improved and not so fatigued but still has aching joints and headaches.  He was advised to strengthen his adrenal system and began taking a supplement for this.  It made a huge difference to his energy - almost back to normal.  However it also created stomach pains and he had to come off it for a while.  I think he intends to take half a dose now since it really made him feel better.  At present he is aiming to strengthen his adrenal system and follow up after a few months with low dose (25mcg)  Levothyroxine to strengthen his thyroid.  He is still on a ‘no sugar’ diet though recently had a few slices of satsuma and no ill effects.  He also started yoga which helps to relax him.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.