This time I'm doing this

Posted , 13 users are following.

So here goes I have never done anything like this before but enough is enough as off tomorrow my 18 years of over indulging in alcohol nearly every day needs to stop, I'm 31 with 3 children and I'm sick of alcohol controlling my life I don't drink in morning or anything like that it's the evenings and I can drink 2 bottles of wine, I don't enjoy it at all and I feel deflated , tired and run down all the time , I have noticed physical effects which has really quiet frightened me.. I find the whole things scary as I can't imagine my life without alcohol... but I'm sick of the guilt and desperation of wanting to stop... and I am determined to get out of routine I have made... I'm not sure if I'm posted in the right chats completely new to this but hoping to start my journey with others who have experienced trouble with alcohol, any help is appreciated thanks :?

0 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Good for you Leilalouise! You are in the right place and people here a very supportive and insightful.I am a Mom to 4 kids and was drinking everyday for over 11 years. I first posted last August and it was not alawys easy but now it has been over 2 months sober.

You can do it! ☺☺☺☺☺☺

• Posted

Thanks so much 👍 Well done to you.... I honestly cannot wait to feel healthier and a better person all round I'm slightly nervous as I know this will test me to my limits, have you decided to never drink again or will you drink at occasions like birthdays etc thanks for replying xxx

• Posted

I've tried the lets cut down and the only 2 glasses but I'm not made for that. I tend to be an all or nothing person so it's out for ever. Some people on this forum manage very well with drinking 2 glasses or putting down limits and good for them. 😊. How about you?

• Posted

I'm the same all in or out but as much as I want to cut the drink out completely for health reasons more than anything, I just can't imagine never drinking again but I don't know if I'm worried more about being the boring none drinker at the party...

• Posted

Understand completely. I play with my husband in a dart league in a pub so that was tough but when you see how people are when they are drinking and you are sober it really van be surprising. Anyways, I also sometimes take a fancy virgin drink or a cocktail if I do not want people asking. 99% of the time they don't even notice and I can dance how I like because they are all drunk and don't care (and probably won't remember 🤣🤣🤣🤣wink

• Posted

If you've been a daily drinker for 18 years (or thereabouts), alcohol will have physically and neurologically changed you. This is the reason that willpower alone fails people, the brain now only feels normal with alcohol, instead of without.

People think that they have just fallen in to a routine, which is partly true, but they don't understand the neurological changes that have gone on in the brain. The goods news is that there is medication that helps retrain the brain or reset it, so that you stop thinking about alcohol everyday.

I think the medication that would be suitable for you, is Selincro. Which is used following The Sinclair Method (TSM). I used another method, but someone will be along later and give you links to read up on and advice on obtaining the medication if you feel it's right for you.

Virtually everyone who posts on here has had a problem with alcohol and all (bar one) have used medication to help wean them off of it.

• Posted

I did cold turkey but do not suggest it. RHGB is right. The medication will make it easier.
    • Posted

Cold turkey is the immediate cessation of all alcohol and the medication to help with that, is a sort of Valium. That is different to medication to dealing with long term alcohol consumption.
    • Posted

Thanks for posting, I haven't really ever understood much about the medication side of things I've always been embarrassed and ashamed of going to doctors as I feel that I would be judge as I have children, my children are all well loved and looked after and they wouldn't even know that I have a problem thanks again

• Posted

If you feel like you can do it cold turkey you could a lot of people can do it without a problem, for me it was terrible and needed the medication. Doctors deal with it every day do not be embarrassed, at your rate withdrawal could be dangerous
    • Posted

Well, all I will say, is I see people posting every week, asking for advice on how to quit. They have usually found this place because they are at their wits end.

They tend to fall into two categories. Those that take the advice on medication and succeed and those that don't want to and go away and fail. I don't wish to come across as uncaring, but I've seen it too often.

• Posted

And doctors (GPs) will quite often refuse diazepam to people with alcohol problems and refer them to ARCs.
    • Posted

Thanks very much and it's true I am at my wits end so really appreciate the help as I will look into this further thank again

• Posted

Well, if you decide you want to go down the medication route, just ask. There are plenty of people here who have been through it and will give you guidance on how to obtain and how to use it.

Also it always helps to state what country yoou are in, as advice will vary depending on location. This is a British forum, so advice tends to default to what is available in the UK.

• Posted

Yeah RH, when my doc referred me to ARC I said I was not keen and would prefer to try myself.  I said I had read about Diazepam to help weaning down and she said she could not do that.  My answer was, why not, you gave me some years ago for anxiety, so why not for anxiety now.

She had a think and then said well yes ok.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.