This time I'm doing this

Posted , 13 users are following.

So here goes I have never done anything like this before but enough is enough as off tomorrow my 18 years of over indulging in alcohol nearly every day needs to stop, I'm 31 with 3 children and I'm sick of alcohol controlling my life I don't drink in morning or anything like that it's the evenings and I can drink 2 bottles of wine, I don't enjoy it at all and I feel deflated , tired and run down all the time , I have noticed physical effects which has really quiet frightened me.. I find the whole things scary as I can't imagine my life without alcohol... but I'm sick of the guilt and desperation of wanting to stop... and I am determined to get out of routine I have made... I'm not sure if I'm posted in the right chats completely new to this but hoping to start my journey with others who have experienced trouble with alcohol, any help is appreciated thanks :?

0 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Definitely in the right place, I've been drinking for 3-4 years as you said nearly every day and eventually progressed to the morning drinking. Withdrawal is awful I've been through it a couple times but I just can't seem to give alcohol up either its so socially acceptable in society. I have no children I'm 23 just graduated college, but the fact that you have three could be a great reason and motivation to stop. I wish you the best.

• Posted

Well don't give up every day is a new day if I can do this so can you, good luck too 👍

• Posted

Hi Leilalouise

Your story mirrors my own except I am older with less kids!!! The length of time of drinking and the amount, is the same as mine. I am currently in my 2nd week of not drinking and am feeling okay, I haven't thought about it or had cravings, which I'm amazed by! I know this is early days for me but I feel stronger each day. I was purely an 'at home' drinker every evening so I have filled that time by thinking & doing other things.

I am not on any medication but I have been reading some books about sobriety and think this has helped.

As I said, this is early days for me but I feel strong and will continue to take it day by day!

Am more than happy for you to pm me if you want to chat more or buddy up!

Good luck

Rach xx

• Posted

Good for you Rachel! That was the same for me. Stopped, read up and I was really surprised that I had no cravings. Like someone just came and took them away. Like I mentioned it has been over two months for me now and I have had 2 or 3 days in that time that I've wanted to drink. It feels good to feel better doesn't it? Keep it up! smile

• Posted

I have private messaged you would be great to keep each other supported thanks x
    • Posted

Hi I would love it if u would keep me up to date with your journey would be great to have friends to keep me positive x
  • Posted

Hi Leilalouise,

You have definitely come to the right place, there are so many supportive on this site, and like RHGB says, you'll get the help you need here, if you're ready to stop and follow the advice you recieve you'll find the best path to follow that is right for you. I like you, was drinking up to two bottles of wine a night and just could not face the thought of giving up, however I also learnt that to stop suddenly and completely also poses severe health risks! Through this site I learnt about TSM and you'll receive more informed information from those that know a lot more than I do if you stay on this forum. I started this week and although it is early days and I know I will likely have a few pitfalls along the way, I can honestly say that last Friday I drank almost two bottles of wine .... I started Naltrexone (as per TSM) on Saturday, and last night could not finish the fourth glass of wine I poured!! Only 3 the night before! ... it requires absolute compliance as you will find out, but it is nothing shirt of a miracle for me as I can't remember the last alcohol free day I had, or when I drank less than a bottle to be honest! And I am 58 years old ... You will find what is right for you, but you've taken the first step asking for help and admitting if only to yourself as I have, that you need to reduce or stop drinking.... Wishing you all the best, be strong and most of all be positive x

• Posted

Thanks so so much honestly means a lot to hear that ??.... I too don't remember the last alcohol free night, and the thought of giving up is both scary and exciting, I have made the first step and so have you so good luck on your journey I wish you the very best of luck and thanks for your advice xx

• Posted

Leilalouise, I also used TSM when I wanted to do something about my 30+ year daily drinking habit. I'd gotten up to 80-90 US standard drinks per week (over 120 UK drinks) and spent a lot of time on the sofa dealing with my hangovers until it was time to drink again. After 6 months of The Sinclair Method, I was down to less than a 6-pack per month and I've stayed about there since last August. 

Have a look at this page, under the heading for The Sinclair Method:

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/useful-resources-487627

Also google:

Claudia Christian TEDx talk

You should see links to a TEDx talk Claudia gave at the London Business School. 

• Posted

Yep, I had got to the 2 bottles also.  You are so young and a great future ahead of  you.  You can definately stop this.  Stick around - we will help.

G.

• Posted

Yep, I had got to the 2 bottles also.  You are so young and a great future ahead of  you.  You can definately stop this.  Stick around - we will help.

G.

• Posted

Especially you Gwen. You always have something nice and helpful to say. 🙂🙂🙂

• Posted

Thanks that's so so nice, I know if I carry on I'll end up in a bad bad place thanks so so much for your support xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.