Thoracic outlet syndrome

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi had first rib and muscles removed 5 days ago now. (TOS) id just like someone who has had this procedure to tell me if there symptoms are totally gone was it a success? It seems a very long road atm. I'm still pretty numb all around from hospital. And lightheaded everytime I go to walk around which isn't for long because I feel I go to pass out. But op went as planned I'm glad it's all over, I'm 22 I thought I'd get up straight after and be all okay I was wrong I do pysically feel pretty rough painkillers only go so far but I can deal with a lil pain it's just the dizziness of getting up my surgeon didn't mention that was a side affect? So I'm hoping that goes away soon? Any insite would be greatly appreciated

0 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Given your age it's hardly surprising you're feeling it's a long road. It's bad enough for us oldies. I think the reason that your surgeon didn't mention dizziness following surgery is probably because it's unlikely that dizziness is due to the specific surgery you've had, it's common after any surgery. You have to remember that apart from the anaesthetic, you are also taking pain killers, all these is a pretty powerful mix. Having said that if the dizziness starts to mean you're unable to function properly then a call to your GP would b ein order.

From the surgeries I've had in the past (not for TOS), there's a point around days 2-4 where you feel like you've been hit by a bus, you feel dizzy,frail,vulnerable and pretty sorry for yourself and so you should, your body has been through a trauma. For this very early period of time, take some time to ease yourself into each day. Don't expect too much from yourself. Follow gently any movement or exercise you've been advised or not to do, following surgery. There does suddenly come a point where you feel as though the step you took forward yesterday does seem to have helped you progress. Slowly but surely you steadily start to move forward. Hopefully someone who has experience of this specific type will help more than I can, but I wanted to let you now, you're doing okay wink

• Posted

Should just add that dizziness may be a part of the post surgery symptoms if your TOS is due to pressure on vessels (veins and arteries) as opposed to nerves.
    • Posted

Yeah I think it's the anaesthetic and possibly because it was around arterys ect and close to my head I'm not to sure. I think I have expected to much of myself definatly, I thought because of my age Id be straight back on my feet, but I am not.. I couldn't walk or move for 2-3 days crippling pain. I think I do need to take advice off everyone and rest up and accept help off others. My mother sais to me your a typical man, let us help, and go and lay down, or put that object down you shouldn't be lifting! I am pretty stubborn and I get frustrated. But that's probably everyone's case. I'm blabbing on.. Thanks for the kind words and advice I will continue to follow the exercises I also have physio Friday. I believe things may be slowly moving forward but as you said day by day. Thanks again kind words go far with me made me smile smile

• Posted

Yep better to accept help now and improve slowly than need help a lot longer by rushing things.
    • Posted

I couldn't remember not to lift either I put my arm in a sling to force myself not to use it.... Lifting things right now isn't tough, stubborn, or manly its ******* stupid.

• Posted

I would ALSO accidently try to do things that were out of my league. It's hard NOT to, like OOPs... THAT was a REALLY BAD idea! I hope I didn't damage something. I kept the sling from the hospital, I should have used it more to remind myself. CanadianRN is absolutly right.

• Posted

Hi, I just had the surgery in May of this year and to be completely honest I have not have any relief. Yet. I actually just went in for the pec minor tenotomy surgery last week to see if I could get any relief from that, but so far nothing.  I am actually still taking percocet four months later and I am planning on getting the left side done early next year since I have bilateral TOS.  My surgeon said that recovery is going to count in months, not days or weeks.  Some people do bounce back and feel relief right away, but others like myself still feel the effects months later. Post surgery, I do remember feeling dizzy but like others said, your body just went through major trauma and being that you were just on anesthesia and you are currently on heavy pain killers, (dilaudid I'm guessing?) you are going to feel the effects.  Just stay hydrated as much as possible and rest, rest, rest.  Best of luck! 

• Posted

We are the lucky ones I also have bilateral TOS, I'm getting the other side done at some point to, also the left. As I done the right first, high 5!! Yes mine said 8 weeks at a push, back to work. I can't see that yet it's early days. Yeah I don't really feel relief but I don't really feel anything atm everything's still numb? Yes highly dilauded (walls, floor move, sit on a chair that starts to move., showered that was going up and down side to side) really is the worst part of it so far is this dizziness. Yeah been drinking loaaadsssss. May I ask how old you are? And I wish you the best of luck to with all that's going on with you. We are all in this together smile !!

• Posted

Yes we are!  I really wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy.  No one except the ones that experience it really know the extent of the pain and debilitation it causes. Is yours neurogenic?  

I am 35 and started getting symptoms at 32.  I played softball for over 20 years and that's most likely where it stems from.  It took years to diagnose.  Everything you are experiencing sounds completely normal, but I do not remember being that dizzy for that long.  The crushing feeling and the amount of pain when needing to cough or sneeze is unbelievable. The numbess is also completely normal, you probably won't get that feeling back for about a month and it's a slow progression.  I remember not even being able to sign a credit card receipt for a few weeks.  After 4 months my chest is still numb, especially where the incision site is over the collar bone.  The arm pit pain hasn't gone away, and it's even worse now that the incision for the pec minor tenotomy is under there.  It's not all bad though, my arm pain and tingles has decreased tremendously and my strength has been getting better.  Have to build the muscle back, but my Dr. said to wait on that because the nerves are still healing.  This is something that can take up to a full year to recover completely and sometimes the nerve damage can be permanent.  Let's just hope you are young enough and caught it quickly enough to recover fully!!  

I hate to sound like a pessimist, but my experience has not been that great.  I envy those that were back to work after 2-3 weeks and have total relief from pain!  

• Posted

I've said that before many times I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy, maybe just a few lol! No they really don't understand the pain untill they have it themselfs that's so true, I know most don't! Umm I had compressed nerves on the right side if that's what you mean? That's been done. I'm now waiting to have my left side done my veins are under compression on that side. Yeah they did say to me a sport or constant repetative movement can cause this, I had symptoms at age 15 I started the gym very young at 14 symptoms wouldn't really bother me untill my 20's I am now 22 it had to be done I was in agony! The past two days I've noticed the dizzy spells to have faded big time, which is really good news..... I can now take a deep breathe without feeling my ribs crushing, also good news... Numbness still there, I was told before the op it probs won't come back because what they cut through in the op, but I got a second opinion and he said it CAN come back but only time will tell.... Oh you had it by the collar bone did you? I went for under the armpit. I still have alot of swelling and bruising is starting to come out all across my neck and chest everything is still numb doesn't feel it'll ever come back.... I just hope it's successful and the symptoms are gone after it all heals because that's why I had it done lol. No I know what you mean it is nice to heal fast and seeing others do so faster isn't to nice and get back to work ect I'm kicking myself and it has just only been over a week. But everyone is different, we'll all get there, when we get there.... no one understands TOS it isn't heard of much at all it's very rare up here anyway. But I understand and it's horrible like a disease I explain it.... I just try and keep the faith smile gotta stay positive. I hope everything goes okay for you smile

• Posted

Not really sure about the dizziness.... check the side effects of the medication they put you on see if they cause orthostatic hypotension? Whatever they gave you for muscle spasm could cause it Valum, Tizanidine, ect or they might have added a Blood pressure med.

Make Sure you are using your "Insentive Spirometer" I over look that sometimes but post Op my 1st breath I only pulled 500ml after about a hour I could pull 1750ml and was feeling way better by day three I could pull 1750ml hold my breath let it fall pull another 1750ml still hold my breath let it fall and pull another 1200ml.

Your shortness of breath could be caused by a decrease in ventilation from a low lung volumes from the pain.

My favorite thing for the pain was ice too not sure if your doing that?!

Good luck you should be past the worst of it!

• Posted

Was on tramadol Made me have heart palpitations had to come off them. I'm only now on ibruphen, paracetamol, codeen. I've cut down on the codeen to see if that's what's making me dizzy.. I was thinking it may be the trauma, anaesthetic or something? Yeah I wasn't given the Insentive Spirometer, gunna order one.. Yeah definatly when I go to take a deep breathe man does it hurt it feels like I'm being drilled in my chest or a truck is running over me and that's not exaggerating, is that normal?? I can't even sneeze or cough that's a world of pain. I was told to try hack up flem but I can't because it's to painful atm. An ice pack on the swelling is it? I haven't done that it's good is it? Thanks for the info and support. Hope yours went well and all that.

• Posted

I have LITERALLY been hit by a car (when I lived in NYC) and YES, surgery feels EXACTLY like that, for the record. I also got rx for Lidocaine patches. They help and don't stink. Even better... Tiger Balm Patches!!! They are WONDERFUL!!! They come in extra large sizes and I will wrap myself like a mummy in that area. I get them at my local Rite Aid next to the Epson Salt (which is also excellent and under appreciated bc baths are a process when it's out of necessity).Up side is you'll forget about the pain, etc for about 8hrs. Down side is... You'll smell like a Chinese Herb Market for about 16... lol I exagerate. But, seriously try them if you get the chance. You will be amazed. I was a Medical Assistant and had everyone stinking up the joint in relief!

• Posted

Did you get the pain pump in the hospital? lmao... I did for the first time ever. It was the WILDEST feeling EVER. I couldn't stop giggling bc I had a COMPLETLY DEAD arm... shoulder down. I was told most people don't tolerate it bc of the wierdness but it helps to heal quicker? I think? When I would get up to go to the bathroom I would leave my arm behind. I'd grab my arm by the fingers and shove it back in it's sling like it was meat falling out of a burrito. The chick next to me probably thought I was so weird with the giggles...That, and talking to my arm, "You! Get back in there!" lmao... STILL makes me laugh thinking about it. :D

• Posted

Another trick is the Theracane it looks like a green candy cane with handles so you can hit the hard to reach trigger points while practicing range of motion and stretching. Your body is capable of doing things the TOS had restricted it from doing so it takes time but the balance is not doing to much to the piont your going to cause excess scar tissue from developing. You should also remember weight loss and body transformation outside of surgery are about 70% diet/nutrition and 30% activity/excersise.

May not be on enough pain meds and adding Valium, Tizanidine or something for muscle spasm may also help. Try Percocet instead of hydrocodone at least in us states they are both schedule 2 so there is no reason not to use the Percocet it works a lot better with fewer side effects

• Posted

Have you? Jeez that's nasty lol. Thanks for all that info once again your full of useful information I appreshiate it. Haha ausome.

• Posted

No I don't know what that is? But LMFAO that sounds ******* hilarious man seriously I would of been laughing my **** off. LOL!!!!!

• Posted

Speaking of lmao... I'm a GIRL Bro! tehehe wink Gaming girl, Game Hoe! Old school. Yah, Now I only have xbox and PSII. My arthritis and TOS has REALLY put a cramp in my gaming! :P

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.