Thorascic aeortic anyeurism

Posted , 18 users are following.

Would love to connect with people who have this so I can cope better knowing I am not alone!

5 likes, 47 replies

47 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

can you please share or send the facebook link for me? Thanks in advance for your help.
  • Posted

Hi, I was diagnosed with a dilated aorta last year after having my son. They found it whilst trying to rule out blood clots in my lungs. I know very little at the minute as I don't have an appointment with the cardiologist until June so would love to be able to join the Facebook group as well just so I can talk to people in a similar situation. Thanks smile
  • Posted

Hi Ladytrue, I had an aortic aneurysm that ruptured in November 2015. I'm still trying to cope and am still recovering. I didn't know I had an aneurysm that was growing. One day I had a terrible back ache and the next day I went unconscious at my house and had to have emergency surgery. I'm grateful to still be alive but I suffer with coping with the "what if's" also. I'm still going through some kind of grieving period. I'm 42 years old. I decided to see a psychiatrist and therapist to help me cope with the issues I'm experiencing.
    • Posted

Wow, kay10213..very sorry to hear of your rupture but VERY happy you survived and are on the road to recovery! I currently suffer with chest heaviness and pain that also affects my back and shoulder (left side). I'm not sure which is worst...knowing or not! I am having surgery in the very near future (May/June) but I am not ready. How does one get ready for such a thing? I guess the "what if" syndrome is what I'm experiencing. I pray your recovery including the anxiety you currently feel in resolved soon Thanks for your bravery in sharing..
  • Posted

Everyone!  If you FB, there is a great group at Aorta Dissection Support Group
  • Posted

I have a thoracic aortic aneurysm..preparing for surgery in May or June. You are definitely not alone. About 12,000 people a year are diagnosed with aortic or abdominal aneurysms.
  • Posted

I was diagnosed with a 5.0 Ascending Aortic Anuerysm 4/23/16, and had surgery to repair 5/28/16. I am 43, and caught it accidentally, and i was initially shocked, but knew right away that I could not live with it, and decided to have surgery right away. I am roughly a month out of surgery, and am recoverign well, still a bit sore, but feeling optimistica bout the future without an anuerysm. I am open to answering any questions about any and all aspects of my journey, I knwo that I was in a state of panic when I found out, and could have used the support had I known that this site existed.

Frank

• Posted

My aneurysm was discovered 8 yrs ago. It has grown over the yrs. I had surgery 5/20/16. Recovering at home. I don't tolerate pain well. Other than the pain (which is enough), I'm ok.. I must admit though, this is TRULY a journey and there's still a ways to go!
    • Posted

I am now 6 weeks post surgery and feel much better, but still have my moments of soreness. I went back to work after 4 weeks, and found that on days that I was active, mostly walking a lot, i was sore and felt pretty tired. I am trying to determine if after full recovery, will we feel different from when we were diagnosed? more energy, less strain on our systems? 

Frank

• Posted

I was fine for the entire 8yrs of knowing about my aneurysm. I only became symptomatic about 2 weeks before my surgery. I still hurt, not sore but pain. My incision hurts, the chest muscles hurt and my skin hurt from wearing a "wound vac". I am getting better but I'm still on pain meds to try to get some relief. Sleeping in a recliner..
    • Posted

I found that my back hurt more often than anyhting else, or maybe I got used to the pain in my chest. I slept sitting up in my bed for the first week, it was made easier with the medication. The pain or soreness is much more noticable when I try to sleep, it is impossible to get into a decent sleep position. 

I hope you feel better soon, it really is a journey as I have been told.

Frank

• Posted

I think I am beginning to turn the corner so to speak. My pain is more in control with the meds. I haven't tried laying down in bed yet. Still in the recliner but to try it soon. I miss laying down..such a simple thing..lol! A couple of stitches have come through my incision, I'm seeing the dr on Thursday. Thank you for being there, you provided me with hope of where I could get to. You let me know that it does get better with time. I had begin to get a little depressed but I'm over it. Again, thanks a bunch! I pray for your recovery as well...
    • Posted

I noticed a few stitches coming throught on mine as well, they eventually either fell out, i assume becasue it is no lomnger there. I must say that at around 7 weeks out, I am feeling much more confident in my movements, I was told that I need to wait a full 3 months before attempting to be active, lifting weights and really exercising. I can tell that I am getting more flexible, and stronger, sadly sleeping is still not really fun or easy, but I have to say, eache day there is an incrimental change for the better.

Hang in there, it gets better, were in this together, our surgeries are not far apart, so I am just barely ahead of you. 

Frank

• Posted

I went to the dr on Thursday, they tried to pull the stitche out but had to cut it off instead. They said my skin is raised as if more are going to come out. Oddly enough, the doc said the healthier the body is, it sees the stitches as foreign and attempts to rid them from the body. Glad you are feeling stronger and more confident about your recovery. Still take it easy, my docs says it takes a good 10 weeks for the sternum to be healed but the entire process to restore the body: muscles, nerves, bones, skin tissue takes a year! They instructed me to start massaging my incision so it doesn't heal tight. Also start stretching the muscles slowly and gently in the chest to eliminate loss of motion. You seem to be on the right track!! If I can eventually get to running at least 2miles a day, I'll be happy, been a while though. I used to run 5 but that may be a little out of reach.. We ARE in this together and you continue to inspire me. Let's keep pressing towards our goals..a new us!
    • Posted

Thank you! Yes let's keep pressing on! Send prayers out to your recovery.
    • Posted

I feel like you are on the path to a solid recovery, youre body rejecting the stirch is a great sign. The fact that you are thinking about the runs that you plan to take when you are recovered is in my opinion a geat motivator. I have recently started massaging my scar on either side, and pushing my fingers together, if that makes sense. I agree with the need to stretch, I am a Personal Trainer, and I encourage stretching movements all the time, and I do my best to keep from getting too tight, the problem I find is that I do not have the range of motion in the chest/back, so my movements are fairly limited, but getting better. 

To a new and better us!

Frank

• Posted

I noticed your surgery was 5/28/16 and mine was 5/20/16. You really are doing fantastic! Also, being a Personal Trainer probably helps a lot because you were phyically fit prior to the surgery. I'm a "pain diva" incase I haven't mentioned that in the past! I have ZERO tolerance for pain although I've endured pain from previous surgeries, auto accidents and the Army! None of those past pains prepared me for this though. I think I need to get out more but of course I can't drive yet. The range of motion thing, I'm having the same issue. I keep trying slowly. I started that massaging process also, using 32000 iu vitamin E oil. I had a wound vac attached to close my incision, no staples or derma bond (allergies) I think that process made the pain worse though. Thanks again for the motivation.. yes, to a new and better us!
    • Posted

Hi, I'm reading this thread because my dh was found to have a descending thoracic aortic aneurysm. He has not had the surgery because he had a very bad infection, and pneumonia, and later septic. It is truly amiricle he is alive. We wait a ct scan this week to see the latest condition of it. He's on bp meds and he is over all the infections, and all. If he has surgery I have a question. How much time would I may need off from work to help care for him once he is home from the hospital? The reason say IF he needs surgery, IS that I prayed for a miracle healing.

• Posted

Hi Amya0717

Sorry to hear that health wise, your husband has been through a lot. Not sure how old he is or what his general health is with the previous complications. I am a 56 yr old female, no health issues other than ascending thoracic aortic aneurysm. Discovered 8 yearsenal ago, repaired 5/20/16. For me, it was very painful and I thought my recovery was/is slow but now I'm not so sure. I'm at 8 weeks and I am driving, only when necessary (still a little uncomfortable). I'm cooking 3-4 days a week, doing laundry (still get tired) and otherwise moving around and taking care of myself and family. The first 4 weeks were the worst for me. Not only because of the pain but medication affect and movement limitations. He will need help for at least the first 4 but I'm a pain diva too and wanted the pain gone the first day of surgery! But he'll do just fine, look what he conquered already. Continue to pray for him and yourself!

• Posted

Previous comment, I meant to say "without" his previous complications.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply,

Got the news we've been waiting for...he had cat scan today. It has grown from a 2 to a 5 since May. That has alrmed the doctors. They have him set for surgery on the aneurism next week, like Thursday. I'm caught off guard. I didn't know it was growing that fast as he was home. He was sent home to be on antibiotics and heal, strengthen for future surgery. Thank God he was admitted today..the timing is good. So, he is 54 yrs.old. he has type 2 diabetes. He was not controlling it well. But he exercised and eats pretty well and had lost about 60 pounds in the last 4 years. Yes, keep us in prayer. I can hardly sleep tonight. The hospital is fantastic, but it's an hour and a half away. I am home, as I had to work. Long story...I will be by his side soon, just wish I were there now.

• Posted

Hi Frank. Just 3 days out of surgery. Still cannot move legs? Did u have any delays in legs coming back to life. Chad

• Posted

Hi, I'm guessing the surgery was a success and he is well on his way to recovery? Glad the timing of him being admitted worked well for you both. I hope the stress has subsided. I still struggle day to day with pain but no where near the pain I endured in the early weeks following the surgery. I hope you both are well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.