THR and crossing legs/putting on socks, pants, tying shoelaces

Posted , 12 users are following.

I recently had my left hip replaced. I can now walk without any assistance, after 1 week, but still cannot cross my legs to put on my socks or shoes or pants. Has anybody else experienced this?

2 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

If you're walking without assistance after one week you're doing great.  I'm two months after a half hip replacement and I still can't manage one of my socks!  It does get easier, especially after about a month.  Don't cross your legs.  It's certainly not advised so soon after op.  It's hard because it's easy to forget.

• Posted

Thaks, Carol. Yes, I have no intention of crossing my legs any time soon. I don't feel that I am in any way, shape or form ready to do so anyway. But the fact that my limp, which I've had for months prior tom y anterior hip replacement, is just about gone!! This, for me, is the most important part of my recovery. 2 months (for you) is early also. My pt says at 3 months I should be good to go for everything. I was just curious  about other patients' rcovery schedules.That's why I posted my question. Continue on your wonderful path to recovery and best of luck!!

• Posted

Hi Shelley. Was your op anterior, posterior, or lateral. Sorry, but it actually makes a difference. I'm 11 weeks post anterior & remember the glee I felt when I could reach my foot at about 3 weeks. I too was walking unaided after a week. There are aids that can help, like a sock grabber. My husband & I laughed hysterically when he put a compression sock on my leg after my first shower. It's still early days & many milestones to reach in a long recovery. Wishing you the best & keep us hippies posted. Ruth

• Posted

Hi, Ruth! I had anterior and am delighted to wait unaided. I haven't beenable to do so many things for so many years, that I will wait t bend down to tie y laces or put on my own pants. But I am thrilled to walk without my pre-surgical limp!!!! For you, at 11 weeks post-op, or earlier, to be able to bend down and touch your foot is a miracle. I haven't seen my toes up front and personal for years! Cannot wait to get reacquainted!! lol Have a wonderful night and keep up the unbelievable recovery!!

• Posted

Mine was also anterior. My advice ( which I haven't followed 😢wink is once you are discharged from formal PT keep doing your exercises! I've gotten bored with them & need to make myself do them every couple days. You're still in early stages & it is a long recover time. Listen to your body. It will really tell you what you need to do!

• Posted

Thank you, Ruth!! I am not always the most c ompliant patient either, but maybe this time I'll be a bit better at playing by the rules. Have a wonderful evening and continue doing so well in your recovery!!

• Posted

Hi Shelley,

I'm three weeks post-op also walking with a aid (for the most part) and just asked my Dr. that same question last week (about the socks and tieing shoes).  Well, what I actually said was "When will I be able to do the things I couldn't do before?" He said "Like What?"    When I answered he sort of chuckled and said give it time give it time.....I asked how much time.  He said a few weeks.

To me a "few weeks" means be patient not it will happen soon LOL

I have to be reminded from time to time (and this forum helps) that while I have o visible signs of trauma, that is exactly what my body has been through.  So while I feel fine and look fine I do have to hold myself back.  

I've made just about every mistake they say not too:

1) didn't do all my exercises at first (I was too tired)

2) when I could walk with a cane went too far (then I knew what hurt/tired was)

Moderation, Moderation but I suppose we each have to learn in our own way on our own timeframe.

Best of luck with the socks - it is right now the hardest thing and I take my TED hose off each night and struggle to get them back on each morning.  However, I will not risk a blood clot and believe that each time I put the socks on I am stretching and that is good.

• Posted

I am too afraid to even try to cross my legs now. I haven't been able to bend down or put my iown pants, shoes or socks on for years, so waiting a while longer is not a problem for me. Thank you for writing to me, Kebra! Best of luck to you in your rehab!!

• Posted

According to the Physio's you aren't supposed to cross your legs until twelve weeks have passed.

you are doing very well to be able to walk without assistance after one week.  You must be young and fit.

carry on with the good work.

• Posted

You are most kind. I am 65, but do 20 minutes a day on my elliptical..including the day after surgery when I came home. And I do stay thin. Thank you very much for responding to me!! Have a wonderful evening, Margaret!
    • Posted

Hi Margaret,

I can also cross my legs - I had the same restrictions (none) that someone posted earlier today. I was told I am only restricted by pain (trust me I had him repeat it twice).  They might have also added inability LOL because I can no more bend my leg to get my sock on. 

I had an anterior where NO muscles were cut and am in the U.S. (there do seem to be subtle differences from country to country).

• Posted

Thank you Shelley.   I am 75 but will not give up.  Over the weekend I have driven 125 miles altogether but it does tell on the hip and I was glad to get in earlier on today after a stop start situation my hip did ache with pressing the clutch down.

i will have a rest tomorrow I think.   Regards Margaret 

• Posted

No, Margaret, we mjust never EVER give up! Continue pushing, as I feel it is the best way to reach our goals. But push within reason-and always safely. Good luck!!
    • Posted

I am in the US also. I cannot believe that you, at 3 weeks out, are ABLE to cross your legs. WOW! I haven't been able to do that for many years so I don't expect to do that soon. But I would like to at some point because asking my husband to put on my pants, shoes and socks is getting stale. haha.  Good luck--to all of us here in this wonderful thread!!!!!

• Posted

Shelley I can cross my legs but perhaps we are talking about a different "cross" I can cross my legs when I am sitting at my desk or watching television.  However, to put on pants I have to place then on the floor and put the op leg (foot) in first and then my good (better) leg can help me pull them up

bahahahahaha still quite a sight to see.  And I envy that you have someone to help with socks.   smile

Happy Monday    and ditto on the wonderful thread  !!!

• Posted

WOW! Kebra, I never thought of that. If you can cross your legs while sitting, then I'm curoious why you can't pull up the leg a tad ore with your arms and put on your sock? I have not been able to  squat down or dress myself for years, and I have never ever been limber, so crossing my legs in any fashion is so foreign to me. But maybe if you pull your leg up a llittle at a time youll be able to master socks on your own!! Try it and let me know. Have a good day and keep on pushing! We all do here. Kudos to us!!

• Posted

Hi there,

Where I lacked range of motion before and still do is putting the foot of the operated leg on the other knee to put on sock or shoe.....my leg just does not move that way YET....I am hopeful, very hopeful.  BUT I have no pain any more when trying to do it so that is a good good thing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.