THR and crossing legs/putting on socks, pants, tying shoelaces

Posted , 12 users are following.

I recently had my left hip replaced. I can now walk without any assistance, after 1 week, but still cannot cross my legs to put on my socks or shoes or pants. Has anybody else experienced this?

2 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I am 4 1/2 weeks post op and I still can't put on my socks or shoes without assistance. I believe that it's normal from what I've been reading and learning from experience.

Slow and steady I was told so I am all for that..

Take care and keep moving. .

• Posted

Thank you Terrie! I won't even try to cross my legs yet. I couldn't anyway   :-(  Keep up the good work and et me know when you can get dressed all by yourself  :-)!!  

• Posted

Hi Shelley

Buy a long handled shoe horn - it's marvelous for lassoing knickers!

Keep improving; but take [u]your[/u] time.  I've learnt this from other great forum members.

Kind regards

Glynis

• Posted

GM Glynis, I do have that long shoehorrn (from Payless) and it helps me put on sneakers, but tying is another matter, As are socks. Oh well. Rome wasn't built inn a day. Good luck to both of us!!!!!!!!

• Posted

Shelly, I've just realised that my British english word 'knickers' is your US english word 'panties'.  I hope I didn't cause confusion!  Whichever version of the word for the garment, the shoe horn works a treat! 

Glynis

• Posted

I get it now!!! Panties are just too difficcult for me to wrestle with at this point. I'm still struggling to get my stamina back. All in good time. Thanks for your post-and clearing that up for me!! Have a good day. 

• Posted

Hiya Shelly, I'm 2 weeks post op tomorrow and still using crutches because my doctor has told me I can't put full weight on my operated leg for 6 weeks! I'm guessing you haven't been given such retrictions..Walking unaided is amazing at 1 week!!

As for crossing your legs thats not a good idea untill at least 6 weeks and I would forget about socks lol...I use a granny grabber/litter picker thiing to help get my underwear on and its pretty easy with a bit of practice.

They say dont do anything that feels uncomfortable but sometimes it's hard to remember the rules also..I feel like crossing my legs all the time and I can, but I'm too scared of dislocating to break the rules at this point 

Good luck with your recovery x 

• Posted

I agree one week post op is amazing to be walking without any issues.

I am 5 weeks tomorrow. . Yay I am still using a cane.

And I am also using a grabber to pick things up and to assist in dressing.

Thank goodness it's warmer weather so slip on are easy.

I am still experiencing Goin & left leg pain due to using it to support my operative leg for so long.

Well I carried on long enough . Just remember slow,and steady, and ice ice ice is my advice. . Good luck

• Posted

Hi Terrie, 

im just curious as to how your hip has healed up now and if you have full use with no pain? 

• Posted

yes i had my total hip replacement In May 2018 but before that since 2010 I Havent been able to tie shoe put on stockings or socks and cant cross the hip I had surgery on to the right one .. I cant even lift My feet all the way up to bath ..And I have pain in my groan and that same side of my hip

the doctor and nobody else cant tell me That I Dont pain this is my body

and I feel arthritis on that side.. Especially now it’s cold

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.