Thread for New Flu Users! Let's Support Eachother ❤️

Posted , 18 users are following.

Day 15 here. Have/had almost every single SE you can think of. Anxiety, nervousness, sweating, shaking, diarreah, insomnia, tension headache, oh and here's a fun one! My feet are constantly ice cold (despite being 20-30 degrees here in Canada) and they sweat. Like crazy 😭😭

Anyways, just want you all to know you're not alone and would love any new (or anyone still on the journey, really) Flu users to weigh in and we can be each others support for the weeks to come. We can share tips, experiences, and just offer love and support. Thanks!

4 likes, 582 replies

582 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

laura32324:  So sorry you are going through so much!  For me, I tried the med for almost l0 weeks.  When seeing a new doctor, she said NO MORE and took me off generic Prozac!  Like you, all my anxiety symptoms were worse, l00 times worse, since I only suffered occasional anxiety and no depression!  Also insomnia, tummy issues, weight loss, loss of appetite and overall misery! 

What works for some is not a "blanket" cure for all!  Did not work for me and am now doing really well that my physical situation, bladder cancer and a physical nerve disorder, have been resolved with surgery and medication!  Keep trying until you find what works for you - this may be your answer, but it may not!  Do not be in misery too long before letting your doctor know what is going on - my doctor is wonderful and listens and understands my body! 

My kindest regards to you!

• Posted

Thank you so much Barbara ???? Hope you're doing well now!

• Posted

Hi there, am hoping you don't mind me joining the conversation! It's actually my first day on flu and am interested in all of your experiences as it's possible they're going to be my experiences too... I must admit, I'm a little nervous about taking an antidepressant but recognize that I need the help right now... Hope everyone's doing well today...

• Posted

Of course! You are welcome here ???? We can get through this together 💪🏼

I'm currently on day 18. I was switched straight over to fluoxetene from Paxil. It's been an interesting and often bumpy ride but I know we can get thru it and be stronger because of it! Feel free to use this thread as a diary or journal, and we will help you out as much as we can! ??

• Posted

I've been reading some of your posts Laura, seems you have indeed had a bumpy ride of things... I haven't switched over from anything else so not sure what to expect... I hope that things have started to even out for you!?...

• Posted

Hi leng! I'm actually feeling not too shabby so far this morning. It comes and goes smile

Do not be scared to go on the fluoxetene smile I promise you'll be ok. You may have some side effects which could include: heightened anxiety/depression, which is really stupid because that's what we're trying to combat, isn't it? You could also get flu like symptoms, runny nose, sneezing, dizziness, nausea, cold sweats, hot flashes, insomnia, etc. This does not mean you'll get any of these side effects!!! You could be lucky and have an upset tummy for a couple days and that's it ???? That's what we're hoping for!

But, if you do end up with more of the SE, well, that's what we're here for! You won't be alone, and know that everything you feel is normal.

• Posted

Also guys.. we should start a group chat on FB smile
  • Posted

How's everyone doing today?

• Posted

Good morning Laura,

Awake early again? I've been up since 4am.  No anxiety, nausea or shakes yet, but it's early. Let's hope they don't start!

Saw my psychiatrist yesterday. I've only seen him a few times as he is new and my usual one is on maternity leave. I love this guy! He is intelligent, kind, understanding, patient, informative and pleasant. He works with you and listens to you. Something I honestly have not experienced in my many years of mental health care. 

He is very understanding of the side effects and believes I should start seeing much more improvement over the next couple of weeks. 

He wants me to take the clonazepam as needed, as he doesn't think I should suffer with crippling anxiety. I explained my concern of it being addictive and he told me how much is safe to take, what it takes to usually become addicted and how we would taper me down. I still will only take it when I am really suffering. I can tough some of this out! 

I felt a lot better after my talk with him. It feels good to have a doctor that looks, listens and includes you in your health care and recovery.

Im heading out to a nursing home in my area this morning for my weekly visit with my dog. I have a 4 year old chocolate lab who is a registered therapy dog. I love visiting with her. It is amazing how much the seniors enjoy our visits. I especially love visiting the Alzheimer's ward. Some of them just come alive when they see her. And of course she laps up the attention and treats.

Enough about me, how are you fairing today? How was your day yesterday? What are you up to today? Do you work or stay at home?

Any children or pets? A husband can also be included in either of those categories! lol

Let me know how you are doing. You as well John as I'm sure you will be checking in. I hope you had a better evening last night John.

I will checking a bit later.

Take care

Laurie

• Posted

Good morning Laurie!

I've been tossing and turning since 5:30.. it bugs me to no end that I can't get a decent sleep on this stuff! I'm so used to sleeping 8-10 hours uninterrupted. Some day...

Yesterday ended up being not such a bad day. Got some stuff done around the house which was great! Folded 5 loads of laundry that was just sitting there waiting for me.. lol It's day 19 now, 7:16 in the morning and feeling shaky, but we will get through it! I'm having some problems with intrusive thoughts, crept up on me last night. And a bit of paranoia. Which I know has to be the meds, because I'm not like that at all.

As for me, I'm a stay at home mom, with 4 kids. 14, 13, 8 and 6. My husband David works full time for Service Canada which I'm finding a bit rough at the moment because I hate being left alone right now, and I can't give the kids my full attention. I feel like a quarter of a mom, if that. I'm just terrified of being left alone with them, and don't know why 😞

And we have our 2 dogs as well smile Shadow is our 6 year old Pom/chi/min pin/heeler and Spencer is our 4 year old Shih Tzu. They're both such babies ??????

Anyways, hope you had a great time at the home today, it's so special to be able to bring a smile to other people! Especially when we're not feeling 100% ourselves. And I'm so happy you have a pdoc that'll listen to you and genuinely shows concern for your wellbeing. That is hard to find!

Craig- hope you're doing well too! Come back and talk to us! 😉

• Posted

Sorry, I meant john! I had him mixed up with someone else 😆😆

• Posted

Decent day so far today. At work just grinding it out! Hope everyone has a good day!
    • Posted

I had the intrusive thoughts as well. 

Scared and anxious that my husband or daughter would ask something of me. It's just the med's.  They certainly can do a number on us.

4 kids that young is work. I can understand you worrying about be home with them alone while trying to cope with these side effects.   

Try and get some quiet time for yourself. Maybe make an afternoon movie time for them each day. That way you can sit for a bit and rest.

My husband Scott works from home but travels at least 3 days a week. And my daughter just turned 23 and is working full time. My son is 26, lives in Otawa and is getting married in a week and a half. Oh boy am I anxious about the wedding.  So many people, excitement, responsibilities, and it's out of town. It's nonstop for two days of activities. 

I hope you you have a good day today. We both will probably feel like a nap at some point.

Let me know how you are doing when you get a chance.

• Posted

Congratulations to your son! That's so exciting smile I can definitely see the upcoming wedding being daunting.. I know you'll do great though! I wish I could nap. sad my brain just doesn't let me lately. I used to be able to no problem (like last month even), ugh, how I wish there was an off switch sometimes. I feel like I could pass out now and not wake up until tomorrow morning!

• Posted

I know what you mean, I actually curled up on the couch but there was no way my brain was going to shut off. So I feel like a walking zombie.

I just hope we both get a better sleep tonight.

As for the wedding I have clonazepam and my doctors full approval to use it to get through everything.

I am excited for my son and we love Amy his fiancé. Just wish I was 100% for it all. I've been unable to participate in so much because of this darn depression. But I will be there at the wedding to cheer them on.

I am very blessed with my family, as I am sure you are as well.

How has your day gone today?

• Posted

I'm surprised, I've been sort of nodding off the last half hour or so. I need to wake myself up though, I don't want to be falling asleep at 6:30 and wake up at 2 or some god-awful time 😂😂 oh wait. I do that anyways. 🤷🏼???

I think today has been not too bad. I seem to be just waiting for the bad days and am not able to take advantage of the good, know what I mean? Like I know those bad days are just lurking around the corner so I can't enjoy anything. Ugh.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.