threadworm questions and answers

Posted , 25 users are following.

Hi to all.

Here is my stori

About 6 months ago my daughter caught up threadworm from school, this is a not the issue however as she was treated and cleared within a fortnight.

I on the other hand took the medication mebendazole several times eventually taking it every day for a week, but to no relief.

After doing a lot of reading I upped the cleaning tenfold and took a papayaseed smoothie recipe that I found. This worked and for 2 weeks they were gone. But they came back in great numbers after that.they wouldn't bother so much but my children have been reinfected

So I tried taking the smoothie again and it killed some off but not all. So after a week I started taking de with a bulb of garlic every morning on an empty stomach. I got a lot of die off symptoms but that was 3 weeks ago and they are still laying eggs. They are in less numbers but still there. I put the de all over my bum at night which means I get a better night sleep.

I am currently eating a high fibre low sugar diet mostlyalkaline foods. I also take a papaya seed smoothie daily plus garlic and lots of de as well as cayenne pepper apple cider vinegar oregano vvitamins especially vitamin c.

The problem is they have moved. I can feel them in my legs and arms. I put tea tree oil all over my neck and nose at night to stop them going further than that. My question is should I stop the assault of and tempt them back only to kill them all of when they come back, or keep up the attack.

And don't even mention doctors to me they have been utterly useless saying just keep taking the mebendazole, or you will have to just learn to live with it. They think I'm delutional , they have sent me to a psychiatrist and they called social services saying that I was giving medication to my kids for no good reason and had ocd bollocks I could punch the doctor. If I am delusional then how come I've lost 3 stone was not big anyway bladder a lot weakerbloated stomach cramps I could go on, am I imagining that.

Anyway

Rant over I have learnt a few things.

Garlic kills of the eggs and I think it works better than cloves

I tested the de on them and I think it works better on the younger ones, just hatched worms die as soon as they wriggle older worms can get further.

I also read about using a dust mask but I could still feel them in my hair and ears so now I wear a pair of tights over my head while doing the washing changing beds and hoovering.

0 likes, 78 replies

78 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi, you are not alone there are plenty of us fighting this battle everyday. I suffered terribly as a child, but eventually after mid teens i never suffered again. However, my daughter has now been battling since she started school 2 1/2 years now. 

But not my husband or son.... the link between me and my daughter is digestion issues, ibs, food sensitivities etc. 

Although i have no answer to the problem, my advice to you if you can is to try and calm yourself. I went a bit ocd with cleaning, stressing over the constant washinig etc - my daughter picked up nits aswell which tipped me over the edge. I then itched all over, could sleep, felt like my whole body was infested with something in my hair, ears, nose, private areas....I was a wreck!! i was scrubbing my skin with epsom salts and pure tea tree oil, bleaching/steaming all furniture, walls, ceilings etc but it got worse. I got companies out to check the house for mites, fleas, mould anything that was causing it. NOTHING. 

After this i went to a helpful dr who without patronising told me that when you are stressed, worried, tired all the time the nervous system does very funny things to us... in my case the feeling that something was crawling on me and almost biting me. I thought i was going mad, he was ready to hand out anti depressants to calm me down, when i said no... give me time to try to chill out if not id be back. I calmed down the obsessive cleaning and did enough i.e hoovering and bed/towel changes every day. I really tried to concentrate on me for a while and low and behold the itching reduced and now 6 months later its gone. He was right.

She still has reoccuring worms, but I am owning the problem rather than it owning me. I am no expert, just hoping my experience may help... but am still in hope for a cure for my poor daughter neutral

• Posted

Hi

Caroline

I have calmed down a lot compared to before.  Was spending more time in the bath than out before.  I do believe that poor digestion can be a key issue in this.  Am hoping the candida cleanse will help. 

Really feel for people whose children have this problem though, thats just not fair to let them suffer.  I think it might effect women more than men, maybe becuase of hormones, girls are more likely to get candida than men.  My husband has never shown any syptoms, however he lives on red hot chilli sauce.  Has is on everything, buys ones hotter than tabasco.  It is a well known antiparasite and often used weekly in hotter climates where parasites are more numerous. 

Still changing beds and stuff, but into a routine about it now. Until I get rid of them anyway. 

Wish me luck. 

• Posted

Hi

Caroline

I have calmed down a lot compared to before.  Was spending more time in the bath than out before.  I do believe that poor digestion can be a key issue in this.  Am hoping the candida cleanse will help. 

Really feel for people whose children have this problem though, thats just not fair to let them suffer.  I think it might effect women more than men, maybe becuase of hormones, girls are more likely to get candida than men.  My husband has never shown any syptoms, however he lives on red hot chilli sauce.  Has is on everything, buys ones hotter than tabasco.  It is a well known antiparasite and often used weekly in hotter climates where parasites are more numerous. 

Still changing beds and stuff, but into a routine about it now. Until I get rid of them anyway. 

Wish me luck. 

• Posted

I am not sure but, think candida cleanse is working as there are spots of red on my tongue that have not been seen for about 20 years.  The treatment is supposed to poke holes in the candida and then it cant survive so it dies off.  But let us hope. 
    • Posted

Hey, i'd try anything... i suffered really bad after i had my kids with candida symptoms, foggy head, thrush every month...hormones play a massive part as I have polycyctic overies & syndrome- it effected my digestion too as ibs went mental. If u can improve the health of your gut, you may stand more chance of attacking the worms. I don't know if you have tried coconut oil? (organic pressed variety) I replaced my cooking oil with it, cook everything in it... add it to my morning porridge and i have had noticable results- i.e no thrush!! Yippee. its a natural antifungal as well as a million other uses ( great on dry hair, lips, homemade scrubs) for under a tenner, its a must buy in my house!! Good luck 
  • Posted

Have been drinking coconut water aloe vera cinnamon apple cider vinegar garlic ginger, oregano oil, peppermint.  You name i it eat it.  Trying a paracleanse which is helping and they are reduced but not all gone.  There has been one or two nights with no eggs. 

Hope I don't have to put up with these things for the rest of my life like some are saying. 

• Posted

I have been taking the paracleanse for 3 weeks now.  The first day they were very active and by the third day there were no eggs, but after a day or two after that they started laying again, have another week to do, not sure if it is helping or not.  Feeling candida die off. 
    • Posted

We have been symptom free for a week but thats not to say they are just low in numbers....I can't get my daughter to eat or drink the natural remedies - what 6 year old would!! I am getting concerned about her taking ovex as often as she has, also my 4 year old - as i have to give it to all of us to ensure we aren't infected with the beasties too - it is damaging to livers. The dr just gave us more ovex? I Cant wash all toys, teddies, as well as the bedding- feel like we are in a never ending cycle. Thats not to say that the school can either. I might rid her of them for her to just get them again at school. 

Its hard to stay positive. 

• Posted

Try mixing the de with their milk and cereal it turns the milk creamy.

There i also a product on a well known online shop think river that sells a chi

Drens cleanse

You could also try

Iodine tablets edible tablets kelp for example{not stuff from hospital)

Oil of oregano capsules

Epazote

Bromelainfound in pineapple and tablets

• Posted

Is ti me or do the drugs you buy from the chemist just not work anymore.  Things like antibiotics are becoming resistant, parasites are becoming resistant, i got a presciption for candida treatment which did nothing, so I am taking oregano oil.  It worries me that they are giving the flu vaccine out.

The flu can mutate and adapt (like parasites can) very quickly so making a vaccine against it can only lead to stronger viruses. 

Thats why we have superbugs in hospitals, because we use antibacterial soaps which kill all the bacteria leaving only a few very strong strands left behind, however they have lots of room then to multiply because the other good / less harmful bacteria is all gone.  They should make a pre-biotic soap, which encourages the good bacteria.  Or coat everything in copper or silver. 

How many times have I had a complaint that the chemical I bought from the chemist not worked on.

My husband recently had a wart. he tried the chemist treatment which wasnt cheap but it did nothing so told him to use apple cider vinegar and it has gone now, 

• Posted

Ceri- I empathize with all my heart with your plight. I did some research and found that you can get your wanted Piperazine from Amazon. I have been using DE and wormwood, cloves, garlic and the most comforting thing on your bum is a mixture of a half dropperful of Neem essential oil, about 2 TB of any brand zinc ointment used for diaper rash and some DE (about 1 tsp) and mix together -- it is soothing and it is rather 'deadly' to the creepy crawly ba*tards when they come out to lay eggs. I wish you much success with your healing. Don't give up!!
  • Posted

Don't feel alone. Apparently approximately 80% of the North American population have it and many don't know it. I've been suffering now with them for several months. The tests done by my Dr came back negative. She said most come back negative the first few times. She told me to go ahead and take the medicine as I told her about the physical descriptuion (ewww) of having the threadworms. Unfortunately, since the rest of my fam wasn't experiencing symptoms and the tests were neg...they though I was crazy. So, they didn't take the medicine. Now I have to take it again due to re-infection from my fam. My Dr recommends Combantrin...and it seemed to work. Now my family has to get on board. I won't give up. I can't. It virtually drives me crazy. Good luck and I will let you know how it works...if it works. Fingers crossed for all of us.
    • Posted

Hi crystal,

If you think that you have threadworms, but your tests have come up negative, and none of your family are feeling them, I think you should read my story. I was in the same kind of situation, and I was going crazy trying so hard to get rid of them, but it turned out that my efforts were actually causing the problem.

There are other things that can make your anus sensitive and give you a sensation that feels exactly like threadworms crawling. In my case I was washing my bottom thoroughly, with soap, and too often. If you want to find out if this is the case for you, you could try switching to an emollient soap substitute (e.g. epaderm) that are used to treat eczema. This will still clean you but will not make your skin more sensitive.

Good luck - I hope you find the cause.

• Posted

I have read your posts and I can't work it out: What makes you think you are infected? Have you seen the worms? Where? What do they look like?

I thought I had threadworms for months and I couldn't get rid of them. And yet I couldn't actually find any proof of the worms. And do you know what, it turned out to be that I didn't have any more worms for most of that time, but I thought I did, because I was cleaning too thoroughly, which sensitizes the skin that was making my bottom tickle in a way that felt EXACTLY like threadworms crawling out. I wonder if you don't have the same thing.

It was reading stories like this that actually caused the problem for me in the first place. I thought the threadworms were hard to get rid of, so I was super thorough, and the more I felt that tickle, the more thoroughly I washed.

I now agree with the comments that Ang22 posted previously. I think the mebendazole works fine, and actually kills the worms very effectively and quickly. If you have already been taking the medication so frequently and for so long, then there is no way threadworms could have survived. I think it's highly likely that your problem is caused by something else, and that might be the same as it was for me - too much washing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.