three weeks after Fundoplication sugery, still have reflux.

Posted , 14 users are following.

hi, I am a 25 year old female.  I have had reflux for the past few years and threes weeks ago i Finally had my surgery for laparoscopic Nissen Fundoplication. Initially post op I didn't have any symptoms of reflux howevr recently the symptoms have come back and I am just so upset. I have been taking Gaviscon but was told by my discharge doctor not to take any Zantac, but I am really suffering. I was wondering if anyone has been through this, and I was hoping for some advice. I feel so down that I have be no through this for nothing, I have obviously been following the post op surgery which is just bland and minimal food, yet I still feel like this. 

sad(((

2 likes, 41 replies

41 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I am very busy just at the moment, explayboybunny.  Sadly I don't have time to write much more but felt I needed to say something.  I send you all good wishes in the operation you are taking at your own risk.  No response is required. 
  • Posted

Hi

I had the surgery a few months ago and whilst all the post op symptoms have gone - I still have reflux and my breathing has got worse (thanks to some comments I'm probably on my last legs!!).

It does take time for everything to settle down. However the Nissen unfortunately does not 100% guarantee a cure (I think the rates are ~85 -90%). 

• Posted

Im sure things will settle down for you, at least you're remaining positive and always helpful, the comments ( meunier58121) made really frightened me, I have'nt had my operation yet but thanks to people like you I'm not dreading it, I'll post how it went for me.

Take care

Pam

• Posted

Hi,

I have never had the surgery but have heard lots of good resports about it.  I am still under my gastro doctor with currently having reflux problems, have had a gastroscopy which has come back all clear.  I too had a negative reply to a post I did last night and they just don't help at all.  Stay positive and hope all goes well for you.

Amanda.

• Posted

Thank you Amanda. It must he really frustrating having had a scope that come back fine. Have you had a pH study? hope you get sorted soon!
  • Posted

Hi there!

Sorry to hear about your problem. You definately need to get this checked out. I did a lot of research before I had my fundoplication, and have chatted to some lovely people via forums, with good and the bad operation out comes, it may be that your wrap is too tight, and that food is sitting on top of your wrap causing a reflux like symptom. You hear of people having this sorted by a dialtion of the wrap using an endoscopy technique or worst case scenario - a re-do, which does happen. The sooner you see someone, the sooner you can find out and see what can be done.

Hope you feel better soon! 

• Posted

Thank you, I have phoned my surgeon today and been informed that despite being told I would have a outpatients app in 4-6 weeks there is no record of it. I am now booked in for April the 17th which is just ages away. It's really frustrating as I went to my GP last Thursday with pain in my back and I felt okay reflux wise.. Which I told him. Then Friday morning I woke up feeling sick with reflux. Typical!! I might have to go backwards onto a liquid diet and see if perhaps is the war being too tight.
    • Posted

Rice pudding is great pre and post op - so is Angel Delight.  
    • Posted

Hi Glennie

I know its still early days for you but I have a question. Do you find you are uncomfortable lying on your sides at night.? I seem to only be able to sleep propped up on my back (I had my HH fixed as well)

• Posted

Lots of different types of soup, yoghurt, spaghetti hoops - I did and still do make smoothies with fruit and veg in a Nutribullet which does not leave large bits in the drink - you can use water or milk.  Bascially, any food that is easy to swallow.  
    • Posted

Hi Moonbuggy,

I am only comfortable sleeping on my right side at the moment. I occasionally lie on my back, but not for long. I am getting plenty sleep throughout the day and night, but I'm still signed off until after Easter, hopefully then i won't need my Nana nap. If I lie on my left side I get achy.

• Posted

Don't forget custard Jody! I have been eating that and fromage frais, mashed potaoes and gravy and cod in parsley sauce!
    • Posted

Hope you get sorted. At least you have got that appointment, it is a while away - but it's booked. Let me know how it goes!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.