Throat mucous as an anxiety symptom

Posted , 46 users are following.

H,i I have been on this forum before I suffer from Anxiety, especially anything to do with health.  I am seeing a councillor.  I have many medical problems the worst being IBS, quiet at the moment, Arthritis, have been in pain all summer, now due to see consultant next week.  More recently have had trouble with bad throat and awful mucous at one 24/7.  I have been given omeprazole an anti acid.  Reading on line yesterday I saw

information saying that throat mucous can be caused be anxiety.  My question is does anyone here suffer with it, what are your symptoms and how did you treat it. My Gp says it is probably silent reflux and I realise anxiety makes everything worse. Would love you hear from anyone affected by this.  Thanks

5 likes, 82 replies

82 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I was going.to start my like 100th post haha but saw this I have always has a throat clearing problem since a really young age but recently it's getting to the point I choke or it tickles even in my sleep it has started tickling my throat not all the time but it's a choke kind of tickle and I was going crazy but as I have severe anxiety I'm quite positive anxiety can probably cause this as all the 100s more other horrible things something else my throat feels one side locks like something is resting on one side of my throat it's horrible lol p.s I do have reflux too
  • Posted

I realise you posted this a while ago but im in need of some help with the same issue since having my little boy in december 8 weeks early ive been having problems with mucus a lump in the throat throat numbness where I carnt feel myself swallowing ive been to my gp several times and to ent to have camera down and she said it was inflammed due to reflux im on omeprazole and gaviscon for it I do suffer with anxiety and keep getting myself in a right state as im pretty convinced ive got cancer but the symptoms seem to get better and the more I worry the worse they get this is turning me into an emotional wreck
    • Posted

Hello,  I am positive that anxiety makes this condition worse also other symptoms which are often caused by anxiety.   My gp told me that when you are stressed you make more acid and then people get digestive problems which what I think happened in my case.  My anxiety is much better now but I realise I will always have a tendency to being anxious.  That said when you went to ENT for the camera scope did they diagnose anything like LPR when they said your throat was inflamed.  Apart from the medication did they offer any dietary advice etc.  I recently had a camera down my throat because I had trouble with my voice and I was worried as I sing in a Rock and Pop Choir.  Luckily they found nothing, everything normal but did tell me I have allergic rhinitis.  I had one session of voice care advice.  You say you have just had a little boy 8 weeks early no wonder you have been 

stressed. Having babies at term is hard enough, so don't be too hard on your self and easier said than done try to relax.  I am sure you don't have cancer.  The lump in the throat is often a sign of anxiety.  I have had it along with many others.  Have a  look at the Reflux and oesphagitis forum if you have not done so already.  There is lots of advice on there from other reflux and silent reflux (LPR) sufferers.  Often silent reflux causes throat problems like you have, mucus,coughing sore throat croaky voice but you don't always get heartburn etc with it.  Is the omeprazole working for you.  I was on it for 8 weeks but came off due to side effects.  It does take time and I am sure your symptoms will improve.  I hope your little boy is doing well.  I have 3 children and 4 grandchildren and they all mean the world to me and my husband.

Please let me know how you get on and any questions please ask if I can answer I will.

Carol

• Posted

Thankyou for posting back its nice to have someone thats going through it to talk to my partner also suffers with anxiety but not had throat problems he gets anxiety and panic attacks x
    • Posted

IM experiencing this now!! I went to my Dr and he knows of my anxiety and I have silent reflux and the lump feeling as well... I'm glad I'm not making this up it's nice to know

• Posted

I have been suffering with sore throat for 1 yr. allergy shots for my dog and also on. Ppi and Zantac. I have gad general anxiety disorder when I stress over it it gets worse. Have been to so many ents all say some mucus. Also when anxious you will get acid. Depressing. Trying not to dwell over it
  • Posted

Hiya iv been feeling like this for about 6 weeks im 24 and took what I think was my 3Rd panic attack last night.. I'm 28 weeks pregnant and iv also gave up smoking which I think has brought out the anxiety .. The lump in throat feeling and the mucus and I have felt like my neck glands are swollen .. its so hard but I feel better knowing I'm not the only person feeling these symptoms smile
  • Posted

Sometimes I feel like I have a lump in my throat. I drink lots of water to make me feel better and eventually, after 30 mins or so, it goes away.
  • Posted

Yes.  I had the throat mucous as well.  I use a post nasal rinse which clears the mucous.  Not sure where you live.  Any pharmacy will carry it.

lynda

• Posted

Hi I use a Sterimar salt water spray for allergies sinusitis etc from the chemist.  I don't use it all the time usually when I have a cold or during the summer when pollen is about etc.  I do find it helps somewhat.  I did order a bulb and syringe thing from Amazon, but I could not get on with it.  Is this the sort of thing you mean or something else?
  • Posted

Yes I've had mucus in my throat a lot. I didnt know why. Thought was my diet or figured allergies. Then I researched n found out stress n anxiety causes it too. I always get anxiety when feel mucus stuck. Once get anxiety mucus is worse. Now I know how heal it smile.
    • Posted

Yes Mike I agree anxiety plays a big part.  I had a throat scope because I had voice problems because of the mucus and throat clearing.  Everything was fine.  I may well have some slight allergies but what I do know is that the throat mucus is much worse when I am anxious or stressed.  My gp told me when you are anxious you make more acid which then can lead to heartburn etc, so it makes sense.

I know a lot of silent reflux sufferers have trouble with mucus and for some of them anxiety and stress does not play a part but for some it makes the problem worse.  It just goes to show how your body responds when under stress not just the throat mucus but other 

symptoms as well. I am now trying very hard to keep anxiety under control although I admit not always easy.  Best wishes to you. By the way my voice is now fine and I have been able to sing again in the rock and pop choir I belong to.

• Posted

I too have had this. I suffered from terrible anxiety and the only thing that helped me was bible scipture and prayer.
  • Posted

Hiya I was in hospital last month with quinsy and I had it really bad were I couldn't breath , I now suffering when I swallow there's a lump and got a sore throat been docs they have gave me spray and pills but I Carnt swallow pills so I'm going back to the doctors coz I am demanding an X-ray on my throat coz this lump is sort of getting out of control its taking over my live at the minute I feel it every day and when I swallow
    • Posted

Sadly it's common with anxiety. Its not that anxiety always causes a lump, more that in an anxious state we become.more aware of the automatic responses and feelings of normal.mucus transit. It's a horrible feeling, I've been and sometimes still am like you. It's anxiety, that's all it is. It will fade if you can deal with your root anxiety

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.