Throat mucous as an anxiety symptom

Posted , 46 users are following.

H,i I have been on this forum before I suffer from Anxiety, especially anything to do with health.  I am seeing a councillor.  I have many medical problems the worst being IBS, quiet at the moment, Arthritis, have been in pain all summer, now due to see consultant next week.  More recently have had trouble with bad throat and awful mucous at one 24/7.  I have been given omeprazole an anti acid.  Reading on line yesterday I saw

information saying that throat mucous can be caused be anxiety.  My question is does anyone here suffer with it, what are your symptoms and how did you treat it. My Gp says it is probably silent reflux and I realise anxiety makes everything worse. Would love you hear from anyone affected by this.  Thanks

5 likes, 82 replies

82 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I started to have a little mucous for about a week now. I've been wondering the same.
    • Posted

Yes I would agree with jmcg2014.  I know from experience what anxiety can do to the body.  It is hard but will fade when you deal with your anxiety and I am up and down.  It is worth noting too that with so many anxiety symptoms you may have one which goes and is replaced by another.  It is almost like your body saying I tried that and you didn't listen now see if this will.  Don't mean to make light of it or sound flippant but I think you know what I mean.  Best of luck to you.
  • Posted

Do u feel like you got sum thing in your throat like flem idk but I might be going through the same thing
    • Posted

Hi Yes it does sometimes feel like that especially in the morning.  Have you been diagnosed with rhinitis, lpr etc and what are your other symptoms, and do you suffer from anxiety.
    • Posted

Hi again,  I have just read your posting on the Anxiety forum.  All the symptoms you mention can be caused by anxiety.  You have a negative result for HIV and the chalmydia can be treated.  I am sure you will get a lot of help and advice on the forum.  I suffer from anxiety but do other medical problems being a lady o 68.  The phelgm in your throat and throat clearing etc can all be made worse by anxiety.  Good luck and keep in touch on the forum.
    • Posted

Should I not worry bout the HIV I read online that it won't show up for 10 years and all the synthoms I have seen like early stages tho I got 2 new results in freaking out bout it still anus swelling idk or could this also be result of severe anxiety
  • Posted

I have this problem and I'm freaked out about it. The doctor here seems oblivious to the fact and makes me feel like I'm a hypercondriac
  • Posted

Does anyone have a problem with the mucous feeling like it's stuck in left side of the lung and won't come up. I feel like I can't breathe or breathing is labored. Constant mucous in the nose too.

• Posted

Sounds like immflamation and u should get a cortisone shot or a prednisone shot in your back hip. It will make u feel better and dry up that phlem. I had this happen to me today and immediately I went to doctor. I feel better a little bit atleast I don't feel like I'm choking like I did all day and last night. Plus he prescribed me a 5 day dose of prednisone pills. I know that's what u need if u haven't already taken them. Good luck and God bless

• Posted

Same here,did you find any ideas to help along with shakiness,feeling sick,doctor says I'm fine. I feel like I can't control it

• Posted

Hello Tanya Sorry I can't be of much help today.  I am going to the hospital later this morning for heart scans to see if I have angina and as you can imagine my anxiety has gone through the roof.  I moved house 200 miles away 6 months ago and have had really bad anxiety not just the stress of the move but various family health problems and other things over the last 3/4 years.  Whether or not throat mucus is caused by anxiety I don't know but I think it would make it worse.  I have now been diagnosed woth perennial rhinitis so it might be part of it I had a throat scope which was normal.  The only thing I can say about shakiness etc and I certainly sympathise with you is deep breathing and relaxation (there are some on line) or seeing a councillor.  Sorry I can't be more helpful do let me know how you get on.

• Posted

I have these symptoms too and a few days ago I tried looking them up on google and I've found some articles that said anxiety can be a factor for them. I was surprised to read that too but at least, now I know what causes them. Unfortunately, I haven't yet found a solution to get rid of them, other that avoiding some foods. But the nasty part is that almost ALL the food products gives you a ton of mucus. Other things that might help: drink more water, take steamy showers or eat spicy foods.

• Posted

What I've found too is that although it feels there is more mucus, there actually isn't, it's because the anxiety is tightening the throat muscle's, making it feel like more mucus. Thining the mucus can help, but also something to loosen those muscles, if i cry then it feels a lot better, it actually goes away, think that's because the mucus thins and it also relaxes the muscles..

• Posted

I know, I've read that too, that's why I suggested those things. They supposedly help thinning the mucus. As for the anxiety making you feel like there's more mucus than there actually is, I don't know, it probably makes it feel worse than it is, but I definitely have more mucus than I should. Because sometimes, I can't even speak because of it unless I cough really hard to get it out of there. And other times, no matter how hard I cough or swallow, it just won't go away. It's really annoying.

• Posted

You noted arthritis? You can have sjogrens. Have you been tested?  No cure but you are noting quite a few of the symptoms of it. Do you have dry eyes as well? Dry mouth? Rhematoid doctor can run tests for this. Blood tests. This world is so damn odd at times and leave people to suffer which can cause anxiety big  time. Im throwing this out there because i feel it is a string possibility for you. I will also tell you on a weird note i see your name is libralady and libras are down with dehydration issues in the world of horoscopes and astrology. That i found by accident. I thought that was spooky as it seems true. Look into it. It would give you explanation but not a cure. And i have realized it olays out the same anyway you just have a bigger support group. I know health anxiety is a big thing and lord knows can make a mess but you do know things co exist too. And leaving someone with wacked symptoms and telling they have health anxiety is disgusting and ignorant. This doesnt apply to everyine on here but after reading your post i think theres sjorgrens going on as well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.