Thrush and inflamation

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi seem to be posting on this all the time , so many questions ! On thurs I woke up feeling a bit more itchy , I don't usually have much itching so I checked and had white curdly discharge so I guessed I had thrush , doc took swab to clarify , no results yet , she gave me the one use oral tab for thrush and canesten cream with steroid in it and said to stop my dermovate until thrush is cleared , anyway since Friday the curdly discharge has cleared but I'm red raw and the canesten burns a lot when I apply and for a long time after , I'm thinking I'm inflamed as I came off the dermovate , should I still be using it along with the canesten and if so which do I apply first , God this condition seems to have spread over my whole vestibule area since I started the dermovate in June , I only had inflamation in a couple of spots now it's the whole skin on the vestibule , can't seem to come to terms with it , finding things really hard to accept ,crying a lot of the time over it 😥

1 like, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have tried many things to make life easier with LS the most relief I get is to keep the area dry, any sweating, after bathing, going to the toilet etc, make sure the whole area right back to where the anus is keep it dry. see if this helps
  • Posted

You already have some great advice, and so the only thing I would like to mention is that I dont believe being overly lubricated helps.   I think it causes soreness, and even more  problems, so I make sure that when I apply coconut oil or emu oil I use a mirror and apply a tiny bit around the clitoris and between the labia minora and labia majora, the rest of my Vjay I make sure is clean and dry, I use talcom powder after every bathroom visit and sometimes I dont wear pants.   I have had a lot of success with this approach and have only experienced one sore area a few months ago,  I tend to follow normas approach too, salt baths work wonders.  Remember that doctors are often guessing themselves, and so sometimes you have to trust your own judgement.
    • Posted

Hi Guppy,

That's the first time I have seen the use of talcum powder mentioned apart from my consultant who said do not use talcum powder!

Well I'm glad it works for you and it just goes to prove how contradictive the sources of advice are.

Could it be the magnesium silicate in the talcum powder!

I believe strongly in the benefits of magnesium and that is one of the good points about dead sea salt and it's high leel of magnesium.

• Posted

I use a powder puff with hardly any talc on it at all, the main idea being to make sure that I am never moist down there, always super dry and super clean.  I think Corn starch might work just as well, not sure, but I do know from past experience too much lubrication everywhere causes iirritation, and then soreness for me.
    • Posted

Makes sense to me Guppy...If you have used it and it works then why not!

As they say don't knock it till you try it.

• Posted

Clear point Norma - magnesium.  I consciously add magnesium in my diet for instance.  Furthermore - when you find something Guppy that works for you go for it. We're clearly not all the same.   
  • Posted

As you have seen, it's very much a case of what works for you.  I have tried unperfumed talcum powder in the past and it didn't work for me at all.
  • Posted

Hi everyone wigster5 here thank you one and all for all advice , I stopped the canesten cream on mon I think it was making me raw , I have not gone back on the dermovate yet as I still feel sore itchy and am stil inflamed looking and feeling ,and trying to give the skin a bit of time to recover , so iv started sea salt baths and just using coconut oil after , the oil burns a little at first but then after a while settels down , should it burn me on application ? When I'm on the steroid the coconut oil usually doesn't burn , Maybe it's because my skin is so raw and inflamed but I have to try some thing to calm the itch ( itch isn't overpowering but it's coming and going ? ) god its a nightmare trying to work out what helps and what's going onn
    • Posted

Hi Wigster,

Regular sea salt soaks should start to ease inflammation and dead sea salt is the best with the highest mineral content.(do not use table salt)

Coconut oil has a high fatty acid content and could aggravate if you are inflamed and sensitive.

Coconut oil is a good anti-bacterial anti-fungal moisturiser but it could be better to use a smearing of pure vaseline until the inflammation has reduced.

Vaseline has nothing in it but 100% petrolatum.

Good Luck. 

• Posted

Thanks Norma I'm learning so much this week , sorest iv been since this started , no 1 on the list never to use canesten hc again !! Where can you get the Dead Sea salt I can only get regular course sea salt in the supermarket and also would I just take one sea salt soak a day ? Thanks
    • Posted

Hi Wigster....I don't want the post to be banned for mentioning a recommended site so read between the spaces.

It is a very popular internet site....A*M*Z*N.

Any sea salt is ok but dead sea salt is better.                                Once a day should do it but if you want to try twice it shoudn't do any harm.

Mineral sea salt is not the same as table salt.

Soaking in table salt water or ordinary plain water dehydrates skin (wrinkled skin)

Mineral sea salt soaking rehydrates.(plumps skin)

Good luck Wigster, hope it works for you.

• Posted

We are definitely on the same page...I completely agree with you.   Vaseline would work until the inflammation had gone down, and then the coconut oil should be fine, but of course LS likes variation, and so its good to mix things up somedays with something like Emu oil.   I sometimes just use a bit of KY jelly if I am just at home for the day. 
    • Posted

At the moment Guppy I am doing good.

No itching but never have had.

No inflammation which I have had some.

Still got white areas and because of age I think I probably have a certain amount of atrophy as well.

Yes, like diet it is good to mix it up a bit as long as no adverse reaction.

I got another cream to try today......

It's called hypercal... hypercumin and calendula tinctures in a cream.

I'm trying a little bit of this and a little bit of that so not sure what is best.

One thing for sure ,if I have an unwelcome reaction I'll know what isn't best.

• Posted

I'm doing good too!   I have only experienced the "itch" once, and it lasted a few days, and it really was horrific, and so I am glad that has not occurred again.  My Vjay  looks normal, no white patches, cuts, rashes,  nada.  I kind of attribute that to many things, one of which is my diet, I am Gluten, Dairy and Sulfite intolerant, so I'm not really allowed much, and I can't drink alcohol anymore, although I am planning on ordering some Sulfite free wine for Xmas!   Maintenance! I always do the same bathroom routine of spraying, patting dry, and then I use a slight lubrication afterwards, I do have a little fusing, which happened when I was first diagnosed and I really was clueless with how to stop that from happening, and now I always just make sure without fail that I have a little lubrication in that area, and it must be working as I have had no further problems.  I think with the lubricating oils, less is more,  everyone has to really take a little from what everyone on here suggests and see if it works for them.  The only fly in the ointment is I can't be bothered with Sex, last time it hurt too much, and its put me right off!! but other than that its all good!  

Good luck with the creams you are trying!  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.