Thrush post rectocele repair

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am 7.5 weeks post rectocele repair and have got a nasty bout of thrush. Apart from being very uncomfortable, will this affect healing and should I go to the GP or just ride it out with over the counter treatment? My post-op check up isn't for another 5 weeks or so. Has anyone else had this?

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm getting ready for my surgery to repair front and back.  All this talk about thrush is worrying me...could you explain how it feels...My surgery will take 3 hrs. and it is scheduled for July 19th...thank you...

• Posted

I wouldn't worry unnecessarily. I am prone to thrush; I'm not aware that it's a common issue after op? Have a quick google for the symptoms but it's basically sore and itchy and very uncomfortable when it gets bad. Good luck with your op. For me personally, it was so much better, and recovery less painful, than expected. x

• Posted

Hi Carole - my reply, below, was to Sarah. Only saw your post after I made mine. Thrush 'normally' presents as intense itching accompanied by  a white, thick discharge. 

• Posted

Hi carol I'm 8 weeks post repair and never had thrush. I was prone to cystitis pre op but never had that since either. The operation takes a lot out you physically as you are very tired after doing very little for weeks afterwards but the relief is almost instant from the weighing down feeling and toilet manipulation that it's so worth it X good luck

• Posted

Thank you for your reply, liz...I just went through about eight hours of pre-op for this surgery.  Somehow this prolapse has gotten out of control and is huge now.  The doctor said the vaginal part is more likely to stay put, whereas, the posterior part is much easier to come loose..This is it for me..One surgery, and I pray it won't come back.  I am too old to be doing this all over again, and on top of that I have major spinal problems and two bad knees.  I will let you all know who my surgery on the 19th goes.  I am having a well known urogyno...doing it for me.  Thank you, again...

• Posted

I had thrush at about 5 weeks, though it did not present in the way it had in the past to me ie there was no white discharge . I went to the GP with an increasing area of irritation on the labia, she swabbed for infection and was surprised as me when it came back as thrush. Gave me a prescription for an external cream and a tablet, rather than a pessary. It cleared up in a few days but a few weeks on I think it may have returned, which I am treating with  the remainder of the cream. I have seen quite a few ladies mention thrush on here. 
    • Posted

Thank you. I will treat with over the counter stuff then. Appreciate you taking the time to reply xx
  • Posted

I'm guessing you would need inside vag checked for level of healing before poking cream applicator up there if that's how it's treated. Wouldn't like it to poke through wounds that aren't sufficiently healed.

• Posted

Yes, that is why my GP prescribed the tablet - she didn't want the healing to be disturbed and I was very nervous at the thought of using an applicator/ pessary. I also had cream to apply around the entrance.

• Posted

That's ok, i would only apply the cream externally so not near the stitches. Thanks for your response xx

• Posted

I've always found the tablets are best especially after op. They sell them in the chemist.

• Posted

Thanks, I have just taken one, Fingers crossed it does the trick but I sometimes have to have a second dose as well. Thanks for responding xx
  • Posted

It shouldn't affect the healing sarah. Over the counter treatment can be expensive so weigh up the cost with the price of a prescription if you pay. The duo treatment is the most effective.

• Posted

I do pay and my pharmacist worked out that the over the counter price was marginally cheaper ( it is pricey ! ) than the prescription because it was listed on that  as two items.  
    • Posted

Thank you for your response, which has put my mind at ease. It's a relief to know it won't impact the repair. I have only recently discovered that you can buy 'own brand' fluconazole rather than the branded stuff, which is much cheaper. How did I not know this before?! Thanks again for such a quick response.

• Posted

Good pharmacist. I forgot it's listed as 2 items x

• Posted

Generic meds are cheaper but I tend to forget to compare

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.