Thrush..the bain of my life

Posted , 31 users are following.

[quote:61330a21eb] sad I am so fed up. I get thrush every month without fail. It starts just before my period and gets worse through it.When it does clear, it reoccurs as soon as i have sex with my husband.I have tried all the usual creams, pessaries etc but to no avail.My periods are coming every two weeks now and lasting for 9 days or so.....My husband is fed up with the problems, but he wants to try it from my side.I have yet another gyny app next week, but this is really getting me down.....Is there no cure ???!!! [/quote:61330a21eb]

0 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hello everyone,

Has any of you bought fluconazole over the counter at Boot's? Either Canesten Oral or Diflucan or generic. If so, was it self serve or did you have to ask the chemist? Do they as you any questions? Were you able to buy more than one capsule at a time? (because they won't sell more than one online).

Thank you!

• Posted

Hi, it's a good idea to speak to the pharmacist about the tablet. I have read elsewhere that it can a) be hard on your liver so only 1 every 6 months. B) you can become immune to it if you take it too often. I don't know how true this is. So much gets written on the internet.

Good luck. I too am suffering monthly and will try some suggested remedies here and report back. X

• Posted

By the way, I am talking about fluconazole 150 mg oral capsules, not topical treatments. smile
  • Posted

Hi ladies, I go through the same frustration every month as well, but more of every other week. The symptoms are the white/ yellowish discharge with slight stabbing pain and itch. It'll gradually become a full blown yeast infection with cottage cheese like symptoms and helluva itch. I had it last year July after taking an strong antibiotics(how much I regretted)
    • Posted

Continue.. It has affected my life tremendously. My boyfriend doesn't understand and nowadays I don't even dare to tell him when the itch comes on.

My previous job was very much stressful and I've always had a lot of allergies with my body, which I believe contributes a huge part to having thrush. Nowadays I just have to rely on cutting down sugars, no white rice, pasta, noodles, anything with wheat. It helps a lot but still not enough to fight this thing.

I have to buy pessaries from the doc every month and it's just very depressing because I don't even know if I will ever recover. Let's hope we can find a solution to this very soon!

• Posted

Hi Adriss

Try making pesseries from virgin coconut oil. Read mine and sneki's posts for all the information on what to do. Goodluck

• Posted

I am in my 40's, had two kids and had same problem for years, thrush the week before period and then you have your period.  Like you say that's six months a year of no sex!!!  I also am not convinced the canesten oral capsules work for me, perhaps like people say, you become immune.  What I have found that helps is taking probiotics before onset of thrush and therefore avoiding it completely but you need to be organised and know the time of the month you are prone but I'm not that organised So I often take it as soon as I  start to feel the symptoms.  When I have thrush I use salt dissolved in water to wash the external area, certainly at night before bed but it helps to do it in day if you have the chance. I discovered the healing power of salt water after having several teeth removed, as recommended by the dentist. I'm pretty sure they recommend this after giving birth too!  I also insert natural yoghurt internally which is soothing, cold and also has probiotics.  I don't know whether I should be inserting it internally as I am not a doctor but I find it helps.  I get it probably once every 4 months now instead of every month!  Hope this helps.
  • Posted

I too am a fellow sufferer. I was told by doctor that it is common and to just blast it with Canisten Pessaries etc. They do seem effective to some extent - especially the internal cream, but it just comes back like clockwork before my period making me think that it never really goes. I'm interested in Sneki's comments - what amounts of oils do you use in your homemade pessaries. Also is it not a little risky making these homemade internal pessaries? I'm a lilttle scared about doing it. People mention strong probiotics - any tips on which ones to buy from Boots or Chemist? Thanks in advance girls x
  • Posted

Ladies ! I have been battling this issue for 6 or 7 years! I used to get the creams and tablets etc every month, recently I went vegan and found I was having months at a time with no thrush whatsoever ! I think animal products in your digestive system can really imbalance the good bacteria, whereas adopting a vegan lifestyle helps your good bacteria to flourish! Just an idea for those of you who are open to that suggestion, if not then the coconut oils etc are also really great suggestions smile

Also I found anything affecting hormones levels (the pill, plan B etc) really set it off, so if you're on a contraceptive maybe consider other forms of contraception that don't involve medical intervention !

• Posted

I feel your pain. I have suffered with thrush off and on for 27+ years. During the early years I suffered with thrush AFTER every period. Fortunately for me my periods were few and far between but none the less the thrush was excruciating. Terrible itching, discharge, swollen and bleeding. I was back and fro to the doctors for treatment which actually did work. Years I suffered like this until I was discussing it with a friend at work. she said she suffered similarly when she was younger and the doctor pointed out to her that it was probably due to using tampons. From that day forward I stopped using tampons and my thrush never returned until fairly recently. Fast forward many thrush free years to now. Unfortunately my health has been suffering and I have had to take many repeated doses of antibiotics which had caused thrush to rear it's ugly head again. Had treatment many times from the doctors and although it eases the symptoms it doesn't get rid of it. I have since turned to more natural methods which seems to be working fine. Every morning I take a probiotic with breakfast and I also use Virgin coconut oil inside and around the vagina. I also use it as a lubricant during sex which I am assuming to be a benefit if my husband is reinfection me. So far so good so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I am able to keep things calm
  • Posted

Hi... Ive experienced same situation like yours. After taking antibiotics for a week, there are a lot of yeast/trush discharhes coming out and its very itchy and sometimes causes rashes. I went to my OB, had papsmear and gram stain test (still waiting for the result) and also she gave me Neo penotran forte vaginal suppository for a week, 2nd day now, its for anti fungal treatment. She also gave me funzela oral tablet which is the same for anti fungal antibacterial treatment but this is only for a single.dosage . Since Im on my second day of medication under neo penotran, I feel comfortable now, no itchiness nor unusual yeast discharges.Hopefully, itll be gone so soon. Maybe you can have your OB check about your situation .
  • Posted

Hi,

I feel your pain. I have had the same problem for 7 years. I have been to gynaecologists and tried every cream pessary and antibiotic. I find the antibiotics only half clears it and everytime you take the antibiotics you are weakening your immune system. I went to a medicinal herbalist. I was quite sceptic. I had tried everything and googled everything and read blog after blog. She recommended something I had never tried. Aloe vera in its purest form mixed with the strongest vegan probiotic you can get. Put them both in a plastic syringe and insert going to bed. You can use the aloe vera externally to ease the pain and the itch. It really helps. Give it a go. What have you got to lose. Also watch the sugar intake when you have it. I'm sure you've googled all these things too. Hope this helps! !

• Posted

Hi.  My wife had recurrent thrush over the years and tried everything and sought advice from different doctors/pharmacists to no avail.  I then thought about how generally thrush is treated for about 2 weeks but the pessaries only treat for 6 days so I suggested to her that she get the pessary treatment as well as another tube of clotrimazole and re-use the pessary devices (cleaned well obviously) and continue the treatment for 2 weeks.  Success!
  • Posted

No sure if you are still around or still having issues. I siffered for years and nothing really cured me. I would get some relief from fluconazole, probiotic, boric acid, yogurt, etc butbthings got worse. All my swabs wouls come back negative so i was told that my bobybwas allergic to a very small amount of yeast. After more research and my  breaking point idecided to stop all tratment. No more oral meds, creams or suppositories. No more  probiotic or eating yogurt. I research cytolitic vaginosis and started treating the opposite way. I now make my vagina more alkaline with baking soda. I stoped drinking coffee and eating acidic foods only for a few days. It has only been a month but i have not felt normal in 4 years. Looking back i think my problems all started with yeast but over treating made everything worse. I jst hope it stays away ans maybe you can try it. By far the cheapest treatment i have done. 
  • Posted

I found you after googling thrush. I think I suffer from oral thrush every month! While I don't see anyone here that has the same, I imagine it since it's monthly a week or so before my period, hormones are probably the culprit.

I haven't seen a doctor yet, but reading the replies, I'm thinking natural remedies would probably be best. (Oral monostat...eek)

So does anyone else have this? Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.