Thyroid disease

Posted , 15 users are following.

Wondering how many of us have Autoimmune thyroid disease alongside LS. I was recently diagnosed with hashimotos.

Also, I'm concerned with two autoimmune diseases I believe I'm at risk for more! How can I get my body to stop attacking itself? I'm thinking diet has a role to play for sure as I'm convinced sugar wreaks havoc with my LS. I also understand there's a genetic factor here. Blood work showed my daughter is at risk for autoimmune diseases also.

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I think you're right on about autoimmune diseases. I have LS, but have also been told I was borderline diabetic. My son has type 1 diabetes although his dad also has an autoimmune disorder.

I agree; diet is critical. My doctor pointed out that eating the wrong food for your body is a stressor. He said other stressors are pollution and the usual personal ones like overwork.

I went to him for diet recommendations re IBS, which came on strong before the LS. The diet: no dairy, minimal sugar (including fruit), no wheat, no flour, plenty of probiotic supplements, omega 3 oil daily, and lots of water. Since there are lots of people out there plugging into similar diets now, it's possible to do this by checking online.

I recommend you find a dietician or an alternative practitioner with diet expertise. My guy tuned into what my body was doing through live cell microscopy.

I feel like I owe him my life, or at the very least, my quality of life. When I venture off my diet, the next day I know it, one way or the other!!

All the best - good luck!!

• Posted

Definitely true about autoimmune diseases. I was first diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis and then 2 years after I was diagnosed with LS. The doctor told me that I would always be at risk to get other autoimmune diseases and all the symptoms that come with them. 
  • Posted

Yes, I'm pretty sure LS is an autoimmune disease. I have an under active thyroid and had shingles last year. I also started to get warts on my wrists which maybe connected.  I think it has much to do with the overuse of antibiotics.  In my teens I took tetracycline everyday for a few years because of acne and courses of antibiotics later because of recurring UTIs. I don't get them now thank goodness, as I'm in my 70s, but I always avoid them if I can and take a good probiotic.
    • Posted

Thanku for your posts I feel so much better now and not alone. I'm living in Aus so don't get Crisco but we have Copha a coconut based butter and we have an abundance of emu and eucalyptus tea tree oils.....Im going to try that for the outside. I too noticed acidic urine aggravates LS. I have a chinese herbalist next door to help balance Thyroid levels again. I have LS now had shingles in 40s warts as a child. Just a bit worried allergic to iodine. So addicted to choc ( helps with constipation)
    • Posted

Just wanted to let u know I've been using Copha (coconut based vegetable shortening) and have had remarkable improvement in vulva area...the skin is not creped any more and no itching for 2 weeks now...I still have fusing tho...am taking Maca powder from South America in a fruit smoothy and inserting Vagifem patisseri once a week for menopause. Havnt been to Chinese herbalist yet.smile
  • Edited

I have a thyroid condition and affected adrenal glands.  Have had shingles as well.  (which is acting up when immune level is low)  So I do a lot to keep my immune level up.  Thyroid condition seems to go together with my being borderline diabetic.  Watching my diet is very important.  
    • Posted

I just read last night about some possible connection between adrenal glands and LS...eesh, it's connected to everything!
    • Posted

With the adrenals there is your immune system.  It was at an all time low a few years ago.  Just when that was diagnosed I had the singles twice in a row.  (intrav B12 and lysene have been very helpful combatting that one)  

Furthermore - I try to live with as little stress as possible.  Leaving out 'irritating' foods as well.  Which also serves the Lichen Planus in my mouth.  

As others here are mentioning - be very careful with what you eat.  I start to think that illnesses like LS have a lot to do with all the artificial items that are added to foodstuffs.  

And I think that no illness stands by itself.  Since all parts of our body are interconnected.  With all the specializing going on it is seldom treated in combination with other parts of the human body or even considered making these kind of connections, even though the knowledge is available.  Only nature paths will do that.  

• Posted

I've come to understand that stress is a big one. I'm generally a pretty relaxed person, but a couple of years ago stopped teaching 'cuz it was stressing me out and I was trying to get pregnant - I didn't know I had LS at that point (well, I did but it had been diagnosed years previous and had been so downplayed that when it was "gone" I thought that was it). I just recently had a flare-up, or what I assume is/was a flare-up (no itching but a purple blister on my clitoris) which coincided with me completely stressing out trying to find a home for my cat - my wee family and I are moving to Vietnam at the end of the month.

I eat well, with some minor sweets here n' there. I'll be curious to see how life in Vietnam affects things.

• Posted

You have a lot on your plate.  Keep us posted on how well you are adjusting to a new environment and most likely different foods.
    • Edited

Will do...also curious to see if they have anything they do different for treating LS?
  • Posted

I have had ichthyosis all my life (skin condition), psoriasis, under active thyroid and lichen planus, all auto immune conditions. 
  • Posted

I have Ulcerative Colitis, Oral lichen planus, LS, MCS with multiple food allergies, and I'm Gluten, Dairy, and Sulfite intolerant.  I was recently pre-diabetic, but through diet and exercise, I've got that back down to normal levels.  Without question, the worst is Sulfite Intolerance, with allergic food narcolepsy and so I can't eat much of anything, I have lost a couple of stone in weight.  This occurred due to all the additives and preservatives that they are putting on our foods,  most people can tolerate them, its just that my immune system is particularly compromised, I think from the Ulcerative Colitis.
  • Posted

I have arthiritis, reynaud's disease, excema, LS, all auto imune diseases and almost 2 years ago I had my thyroid removed. After the thyroid was removed the symptoms of the LS disappeared. I had suffered for over 30 years. However, my lady parts are also gone.  I am not sure which is worse.  The wild itch or the lack of parts.
  • Posted

I'm with you Sandra, I had hyperactive thyroid and then diagnosed with LS. Kinda curious to see if my LS will stay calm if I keep my thyroid levels good.
    • Posted

Interesting thought dee kee, do thyroid levels influence LS.  
    • Posted

I'm also allergic to Iodine...I wondered why When ever I used Detol on sores they got worse and putting Betadine on a scratch turned it into a gash.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.