Thyroid disease

Posted , 15 users are following.

Wondering how many of us have Autoimmune thyroid disease alongside LS. I was recently diagnosed with hashimotos.

Also, I'm concerned with two autoimmune diseases I believe I'm at risk for more! How can I get my body to stop attacking itself? I'm thinking diet has a role to play for sure as I'm convinced sugar wreaks havoc with my LS. I also understand there's a genetic factor here. Blood work showed my daughter is at risk for autoimmune diseases also.

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello Sandra

Sorry to hear about your Thyroid disease.  I have LS and constant thrush.  I have decided to cut as much sugar out as possible.  It is a worth a try.  It is only my 4th day.  It seemed to be helping a bit but yesterday I had some grapes and its flared up a bit, so don't know if that is a factor or not.

• Posted

I have a sugar reduced diet (failed miserably at Christmas!) and it does make a difference! I hope you soon find big improvements. I hit bumps in my road too where I just don't know how to treat a certain LS symptom but overall I find sugar to be the biggest culprit.
  • Posted

I mentioned a while ago my sister had a mutated MTHFR 1298 gene, this does seem to affect the immune system. It is complicated but at cell level the body cannot utilise  the B vitamines and other stuff. The methylation cycle is faulty and one needs to have a methyl supplement and other minerals - Zinc and Magnesium in my sister's case. The affect is that the food ingested is stored and not used for energy- or guarding the body against other problems - she had an ulcer, various infections joints bladder etc arthritis shingles skin cancers etc etc. Her GP tested her genes and found this mutation- she is now SO MUCH fitter- if poorer as the supplements are not cheap. She believes i too will have the mutation however my GP is finding diffulty in getting me tested - i am in the UK my sister in Australia

I have upped the dose of pure vitamin B's not the combined as  chemical Folic acid is VERY bad and can cause malignancy if the body stores it in the organs, unlike natural food ingested folic acid. I have asthma and LS occasional bouts of arthrtitis - osteo not rheumatoid

• Posted

That's positively fascinating but I'm so sorry for your sister. I do hope it's not your case!
    • Posted

Now she knows what the matter is she can do smeting about it, the fatigue is so much less she has lost weight without going on a diet looks younger and has a more positive approach to life She doesnt have LS - i do  and have the same difficulty in losing weight- friends tell me i should eat more and when i eat exactly the same as them  including no alcohol my weight shoots up. so i return to eating fresh organic mainly vegetables and only when i feel hungry - perhaps once or twice a day max!  to try and keep to a healthy weight - it feels like a losing battle. However it is only stress that gives me an LS flare up but the fusing marches on silently day in day out...sigh!
    • Posted

Mm I'm in Australia we were all given Folic Acid during pregnancy in the 70's so much complaints of constipation...wonder if there's a correlation with the rise of high bowel cancer now in our ageing community.
  • Posted

Very interesting. Me 59 too have LS . Warts as a child under active thyroid always constipated and stressed family conditions. Local herbalist got it working again but told me later in life it may need help again..5 kids later ...always a chocohollic....so its now later in life wink

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.