thyroid problems and its taking over my life

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm 19 years old, I weigh roughly 260lbs when I was 18 I had blood drawn and was told I have a very high thyroid. I've tried at least 50 diets even working out and I continue to gain weight, I'm almost 20(Oct 30th), and I'm tired of suffering from a thyroid problem no doctor will help me. I constantly stay sleepy,depressed, in pain,no energy ever, no motivation. Its taking over my life and I want it to stop its even affected my back problem which is degenerate disc disease I have 2 ruptured disc. I want this too stop is there anyone out there who can give me names of vitamins or anything to use to fix my thyroid. Please help me!!

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello destiny

This is the problem no one will take this thyroid scandal that is almost pandemic now seriously.

However that must not deter us from continuing to seek the medical care that we are entitled to.

I am not an expert but it sounds as though you are hypo.

Other members of this Forum have more experience and knowledge of this condition.

I have been diagnosed with subclinical hyperthyroidism and this is a different entity. However it is mandtory that it is treated according to the American Endo Socitey.

Tell that to some physicians. LOL.

There is help available for you . You are young and have time on your side. Please hang on in there.

I feel hopeful that things will improve for you once your treatment is started.

I assume that you are in the UK.

One endocrine surgeon told me that anxiety and depression are not amongst the signs and symptoms of a thyroid disorder LOL!!!

Remember just try to hang on in there!

There is a lot of support on this Forum alone.

Jean

• Posted

Hello Destiny:

My name is Shelly and I am a Nurse in the USA.

I have  Hashimoto's Thyroid disease which is a low thyroid.

When you have LOW thyroid called HYPOthyroid you can gain weight easily, have no energy, feel sleepy, have dry skin, brittle nails, muscle aches, loss of hair, feel depressed,  and more

When you have HYPER (too high) you lose weight, have anxiety attacks, insomnia, pains in muscles, loss of hair, fast heart rate, and more....

First of all, it sounds like you need to see the doctor again and make sure which type of thyroid problem you have.

Weight gain:  There is no magic vitamins for this, no magic pill, however, you will need to watch carbs and exercise even simple walking helps. You may want to ask for a referal to a diet doctor, or consider Bariatric surgery.  I think seeing a diet doctor or nutritionist to make diet changes for you.  They do have  some meds to reduce the appetite but you need to have a doctor monitor you.

I know how you feel and you can live a good life once your thyroid condition gets sorted out and you are on replacement hormone if needed.

So please see your doctor and get retested to see which thyroid condition you have.

Be well, Shelly

• Posted

Thank you shellyC19, at one point I was losing weight then I went to the doctor and they told me that there was something wrong with my thyroid, that it is was caused the sudden weight gaining even while dieting. I lose so much hair I could make half a wig a day. I just get so tired of constantly trying and having no success but gaining weight and losing hair, and no energy EVER. Thank you for your response 😊
    • Posted

Hello Destiny:

I am now 54, and I was in my early teens when I was getting symptoms but I was 27 when diagnosed.  I know you can lose the weight after you get on replacement thyroid meds.  you can live a good life and you will grow your hair back.

So get your doctor to order thyroid replacement meds.  Hang in there.

XO Shelly

• Posted

I live here in the USA too, in Arkansas and Arkansas doctors are kinda hard to get to understand any kind of problem that anyone has. I've even demanded that the doctors remove it or give medication and I get the same response 'you're to young destiny, you don't need medicine this young' but yet they give me anti depressants, muscle relaxers, and a low grade pain medication. Thank you for responding I'm going to go see my doctor and start demanding again
    • Posted

Hello Destiny:

See a better MD.  A doctor who does Thyroid work is called an Endocrinologist.  You may need to ask for a referal depending on your insurance plan. 

You should not suffer.  You seem to have many of the symptoms of low thyroid called Hypothyroid.  Be polite and ask for a referal to an Endocrinologist.

By the way, ask your family members like Aunts and cousins if they have trouble with their thyroids.  It can run in families.  Age of people who get thyroid disease is normally 20-40 and in some of us we are earlier than that. Also women get it in pregnancy and after it sometimes.

Once on meds the bad effects will go away. It may be easier to lose weight.  Let's get you to the right doctor and work it from there.

You are not alone!  Hang in there.

XO , Shelly

• Posted

Destiny

You can lose weight. I lost a lot of weight and I felt better.I never thought it possible but it was.

Keep telling yourself that you can do it.

You need the medication from what I can gather.

Did you say that your bloodwork showed a high thyroid?

I advise getting copies of your tst results and getting as many opinions as possible on the values and your signs and symptoms. Can you write to the American College of Endocrinologists I wonder to get their advice and a copy of their procedures/recommendations with regaard to the treatment and management of hypothyroidism.

Give the facts. Keep emotion out of it when you write to them howeve r explain that you are nearly twenty and for two years have felt fed up and you need their help . Appeal to them.

Surely there has to be at least one dr who is a humanitarian and who will respond in a positive fashion and buck you up.

Don't let anyone get you down.

Jean

• Posted

I've been to a endo. Before I finally gave up after seeing one that was back in may. The only thing that runs in my family is breast cancer I've been tested for that. Thank you Shelly 😊
    • Posted

Hello Destiny:

Go back to your Primary MD, and say you know my TSH is high and I am experiencing symptoms that you said here, (Log it down) and I need to be treated for this as I have no energy, feel sleepy etc....if you writ down your symptoms and hand it to him he has to make it part of your medical files.

Can you take your Mother with you?  Try this, call today and ask for an appointment.  Let's work the problem, so you will get well again.

XO Shelly

• Posted

Sorry I meant to ask Destiny if she had copies of her bloodworks. Jean xx
    • Posted

Perhaps the drs are hoping the thyroid will improve or there will be a remission of your signs and symptoms.

What do you think?

How long was it after you started to feel tired etc did you gain weight?

Hope you don't mind my question.

• Posted

You're fine i don't mind answering......noticed the extreme hair loss at age 17, the constant tiredness at 18 and the weight gaining at 18. I eat right, no caffeine at all I walk everyday in the yard then I'm just so exhausted I don't know what to do. The weight gaining is every week I gain at least 1-4lbs a week
    • Posted

Hello Destiny:

The thyroid is responsible for a lot in the body.  IT controls metabolism, energy, your period, your body temp and it works with other part of the body.

You have many of the classic symptoms, but some MD's are really not that smart when it comes to the thyroid.  TSH is a hormone and when it goes high, it means your body is not making enough thyroxinne for you.

Please go back to your doc. and bring with you a list of symptoms you have and along with that thyroid symptoms (google them) and check off which ones you have.

If you can't get this doctor to help you, please find another.

XO Shelly

• Posted

You need to weigh yourself  first thing each day a the same time after emptying your bladder but before eating and dinking anything.

Keep a food diary. Then show these recordings to your dr.

He may take more notice then.

• Posted

destiny

Have you actually got a copy of your bloodworks showing that your thyroid hormones are high so you can send them to another endocrinologist? Have your thyroid antibodies been checked?

If not perhaps you could request copies and then compare these results with the values as laid down by the American College of Endocrinology. When you have done that then you will have more to go on and this will give you the confidence to take things a step further.

At the moment it may appear perhaps that you have lost control of your life but you have not really. It is your thyroid making you feel unwell, making you feel not yourself.

However in the grand scheme of things this is a temporary thing.

This condition can and will be treated.

Have you got someone who can perhaps write the letter/e mail to the College of Endocrinologists requesting information about their recommendations for the management and treatment of a person with your signs and symptoms and the high thyroid level.

I am sure that you are perfectlly capable of putting such a letter together yourself  but judging from what you have written you are too tired to do it.

If that is the case I understand because I have felt that way myself, been there, done that worn the T shirt.

• Posted

i live in the uk and endos are like our doctors they cant do the blood tests i have to go private so i looke up medi check to see how much it costs they send tests to me and i do them and send them back within a few days i get results so thats what i have to do,i was seeing my doctor last night i told him im no longer on levothyroine im on ndt he looked at me and didnt no what they were what a joke,i must say ndt are better for me as brain fog gone plus not feeling like im in a bubble any more,destiny dont give up try different doctors in your surgery as if any one of them understand thyroid problems,ive been hypothyroid plus fybromyalgia,cronic fatigue syndrome for 24 years,i work for bupa and my medical certifficate dosnt cover thyroid problem lol what a joke x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.