thyroid problems and its taking over my life

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm 19 years old, I weigh roughly 260lbs when I was 18 I had blood drawn and was told I have a very high thyroid. I've tried at least 50 diets even working out and I continue to gain weight, I'm almost 20(Oct 30th), and I'm tired of suffering from a thyroid problem no doctor will help me. I constantly stay sleepy,depressed, in pain,no energy ever, no motivation. Its taking over my life and I want it to stop its even affected my back problem which is degenerate disc disease I have 2 ruptured disc. I want this too stop is there anyone out there who can give me names of vitamins or anything to use to fix my thyroid. Please help me!!

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Destiny, some explanation of your words "high thyroid" is needed.

The test normally used for thyrouid is called the TSH test.  If the TSH value is high, that means your thyroid is UNDERACTIVE, is not producing enough hormone and you are Hypothyroid.  From your sysmtoms this is what it sounds like. So:TSH high equals thyroid low, it works in reverse.

BUT...if your actual thyroid l level is HIGH (E.G.your term was "Very high Thyroid") then that means you have an OVERACTIVE thyroid and that is a very different situation for a doctor to deal with.  So if you are not sure which it is, then you absolutely need to find out from your doctor.

If in fact you are hypothyroid (high TSH number) then no vitamins or diets will fix that and you need medication.  That was my problem 35 years ago.  I took the medication and was cured.

Not sure why doctors won't help you.  It's their job.  Can you suggest why that might be?  You're not refusing medication are you? Because the "50 diets remark makes me wonder.  Keep us posted and good luck!

• Posted

I never refuse medicine a doctor gives, a lot of doctors have told me its because I'm so young and need to just 'wait it out'. I appreciate your response thank you 😊
    • Posted

I do not understand why these dr are so reluctant to believe us when we go to them with the obvious signs and symptoms of a thyroid disorder and secondly why they fail to carry oiut a full thyroid function screening.

Why are drs unable to interpret the results accurately , assess the patients signs and symptoms and how they present?

Why are doctors so lacking in knowledge about such a vital gland as the thyroid?

• Posted

Hello Destiny, I am so sorry to hear you are having so many problems, believe me you are on the correct site to get some help. I had to have radioactive iodine treatment some time ago and just this year started on Thyroxine, I had hoped this would be the start of me getting better, but boy was I wrong. I have had nothing but problems worse than I was without the meds! I have to say i am  disgusted at the level of care that is being provided by the NHS in the UK and it is clear my consultant is only interested in my blood results so he can tick a box and get me off his list ! Because the help I am getting is so bad and I am having problems I have used this and the internet in general to gain a much info as I possibly can so when I do see my consultant I go armed with the relevant info I require to ensure I make him listen and hopefully get better help. I do have to say he is non too pleased that I am doing this, but quite frankly I do not give a damn if he is happy or not. What I would suggest to you to do is to get your actual blood readings and repost these on the forum so other sufferers who know more than I can give you some indication of what your readings mean.. Hang on in there, you have made the first step by joining this group, hopefully now things will improve .  
    • Posted

Thank you for responding, its hard for me to get out if bed each morning having no energry at all, its like trying to get a little kid to eat a veggie its difficult. About 60% of the time I'm trying to stay awake. My hair falls out like I don't know what. Its stressful. I would do anything to be able to stop having to deal with this.
    • Posted

Destiny

Remember what Shelly wrote. Your hair will grow back, you will lose weight.

You will improve.

Do not let any dr tell you otherwise. If it were the case then how come others have got better.

Baffle these drs with logic.

• Posted

hi destiny losing your hair is awful i do to im trying better for you b12boost to give me a boost ,try reserving your energy for the things that have to be done that helped me,you can ask for your thyroid test papers did you no that your within your rights to ask for it,when did you have your last thyroid test done also look up medi check thats what i plan to do its at a cost and cheaper then going private ive spoken to alot of people that have used it for all sorts of tests also as for a vit d test done by your doctor, i went threw all my doctors until i found 2 that listened to me you no your own body they dont so insist on these tests your within your rights to and ask to be seen by a endocrynologist x  karen

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.