Thyroid & Vitamin D Deficiency

Posted , 25 users are following.

I have had an Underactive thyroid for 7 years and always taken 100 mg of thyroxine. I have gone

through phases of feeling good and feeling really bad although blood tests have always come back with being within the correct level. I have recently had to go to GP with fatigue and joint pain. The GP rang yesterday to advise I am deficient in vitamin d and I need supplements. Has anyone else

been diagnosed with this ??? If so did the vitamin d make any difference and how long did it take to feel better?

1 like, 60 replies

60 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I take a vitamin D supplement and have done for several years. I am hypothyroid but it came about because my calcium levels were high and so my stomach was not able to absorb the calcium and instead it was leaching from my bones. I actually didn't feel extra tired but I think you should have the vitamin D so as not to get osteoporosis which in the long run can lead to brittle bones and breakages.Maggie W
  • Posted

Thanks Maggie , I have read also that vitamin d deficiency stops thyroxine being so effective so I am going

to take the Vitamin D. I have had really bad skin for the past two years so also hoping that will improve.

• Posted

I also take 100 mg of synthroid as I had my thyroid removed. I also have been taking Vitamin D as I do every winter (here in Canada) and I do feel better and am going to continue all year. Apparently Vit. D is a mood elevator (and who doesn't need a little of that!!). It also protects against breast, ovarian and colon cancers and cardio vascular disease. Lots of Vit. D found in fish oils, which is also a good supplement to take for women. I take that also every day. Good Luck!

PS I freeze my fish oil capsules, so they don't repeat on me after taking.

• Posted

Thanks for the info feeling very encouraged and looking forward to starting the course. Fingers crossed...
  • Posted

Hi, I have also been taking vit D this last month but although UK recomended daily allowance is 25mcg daily. All of my research has suggested alot more was wondering what you both thought. I've not noticed any difference but maybe to early yet. I'm always on the look out for anything to help me feel well 7 years and im still suffering with many under active symtoms.
  • Posted

I am glad that the consensus is that women in particular should take Vitamin D. I live in Scotland where the nights are long in Winter and sunshine weak during the day. I take 25mcgms all year round but my endocrinologist has not been vey helpful as to whether that is enough or not. It is further complicated by the fact I have raised parathyroid levels which may indicate I have nodules on my parathyroid gland/s. I am having a scan in a couple of weeks to see ic that is the case.I find the contact with others very supportive. I am in my 70s and had to struggle very hard to get taken seriously about my hypothyroid symptoms.In the end I take 100mcgms thyroxine and 10 mcgms T3 which is the converted form of thyroxine really equivalent to under 150mcgms thyroxine but I function much better on this and have done for 8 years.All the best Maggie W
  • Posted

I am collecting my prescription today so not sure what dose I am going to be on yet or for how long.
  • Posted

Hi Maggie my GP will not refer me to an endocrinologist thinks i'm a winge and its all in my head so when i said i wanted to try T3 she said no there is nothing to suggest that T3 works. I think that i'm over medicated but bloods they say are normal im also on 100mcg Thyroxine daily. All the very best maggie and I also feel the site are very supportive I live in Newcastle by the way
    • Posted

Hi Michelle, I would really encourage you to fight your GP. I also have had issues with my GP implying my symptoms are in my head. I had to go private and hopefully will get to the bottom of my hypothyroid symptoms. Keep on at them!
  • Posted

Hi Julie what was ur prescription dose of bit d for if u don't mind sharing x
  • Posted

Yes I had a GP once like that and I think the only thing to do is change to another one if at all possible. My Endocrinologist himself said that it was difficult to prove that having some T3 substitute for some of the T4 was definitely beneficial, but said he had come to the conclusion that it was for a few people like myself. I can honestly say that I have had no thoroughly rotten headache days since I started the regime 9 years ago and also he himself said that he thought that GPs were failing their patients if when there was a problem with patients still feeling unwell but seeming to have okay blood results. I suggest you buy his book on Amazon, it only costs about £5 is written by Dr Toft ;and is in the Family doctor series and he is now retired from consulting at the Royal Infirmary Edinburgh but works privately at the Spires Private hospital in Edinburgh. He felt that too many GPs think that they understand hypothyroid symptoms etc but in fact do nothing but go by blood results.
  • Posted

Yes I had a GP once like that and I think the only thing to do is change to another one if at all possible. My Endocrinologist himself said that it was difficult to prove that having some T3 substitute for some of the T4 was definitely beneficial, but said he had come to the conclusion that it was for a few people like myself. I can honestly say that I have had no thoroughly rotten headache days since I started the regime 9 years ago and also he himself said that he thought that GPs were failing their patients if when there was a problem with patients still feeling unwell but seeming to have okay blood results. I suggest you buy his book on Amazon, it only costs about £5 is written by Dr Toft ;and is in the Family doctor series and he is now retired from consulting at the Royal Infirmary Edinburgh but works privately at the Spires Private hospital in Edinburgh. He felt that too many GPs think that they understand hypothyroid symptoms etc but in fact do nothing but go by blood results.
  • Posted

This is double dutch to me but she prescribed 3 tablets once a week for 5 weeks the dose is vitamin

D3 500 mcg. I then have to have more bloods done . My blood test reading for VIT D was 7 so it was really

low. I have been out in the garden for last few days and already feeling better for having a bit of sunshine.

• Posted

Hi Julie. I was diagnosed with hypothyoid about 8 months ago and take Levothyroxine 50 mg. Last blood test about 3 months ago showed I had severe Vitimin D deficiency. My numer was 11. I was put on 50,000 IU of vitamin D (once a week for 12 weeks.). This is only by prescription dose. I finish my 12th week tomorrow and then Doctor wants me to take 2000 IU daily. I will be having another blood test next week to see where my number is at now. I don't feel any different. But its good to take vitimin D daily. I just needed a bigger boost (dose) in the beginning to get my number up.
    • Posted

Julie Just saw your post about dose of D3.  Please see my other post to you a short while ago.  When I was diagnosed with low Vit D I think is was 39 not all that low I believe.  I have taken 2.200 iu D3 since July  2012.  My blood test result was just over 70 in 2013 and recently over 100 hence my gp telling me to take it every other day.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.