Thyroid & Vitamin D Deficiency

Posted , 25 users are following.

I have had an Underactive thyroid for 7 years and always taken 100 mg of thyroxine. I have gone

through phases of feeling good and feeling really bad although blood tests have always come back with being within the correct level. I have recently had to go to GP with fatigue and joint pain. The GP rang yesterday to advise I am deficient in vitamin d and I need supplements. Has anyone else

been diagnosed with this ??? If so did the vitamin d make any difference and how long did it take to feel better?

1 like, 60 replies

60 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Your Vitamin D levels are really seriously low and I would certainly think that the extra Vitamin D would be a terrific boost. Siitting in the sunshine is certainly mood inhancing for any one but I think that it will take more than a few days of absorbing it to correct your levels. I really hope that the Vitamin D pills will help at least they will also guard you against Osteoporosis which is what happens if we don't get enough of it.
  • Posted

Ive used all of the doctors in the practice lol All the same stupid nhs conclusion bloods are normal so you must be depressed. I'm certainly not that but i will be if they dont sort me out.  Let us know how you get on with those vitamin D's Julie.  
  • Posted

Hi Julie,

I was diagnosed with an underactive thyroid last April. Ever since being hypothyroid my vitamin D and iron levels went really low. I noticed prior to diagnosis my joints were aching really badly amongst other symptoms so had my vitamins levels checked and it turned out I was really low. I've been taking vitamin D supplements prescribed by the GP for a little over a month now, one to be taken once a week and have noticed my joints don't hurt as much as before.

Hope this helps and hope you feel better soon :-) x

• Posted

I am due to take my third high dose vit d3 tomorrow I am not feeling any different if anything some days I am worse. i always feel like I am dragging my feet as I just ache so much especially my knees. I have got 3 more doses to take then I need to have more bloods done but I think that is to check my kidneys.
    • Posted

Hi Julie thanks for the update maybe your levels have a way to go yet. Keep us posted on what your blood results are.  
  • Posted

Hi Julie  I have been on thyroxine, 125mg for over 20 years.  A couple of years ago following a fall which resulted in wrist fracture I was found to be low on vitamin

D.  I have taken a D3 supplement since then.  At my last blood test it was found to be at the higher end of normal so have been told to take a capsule every other day.  I have not found during the last 2 years that it had made any difference to

the way I feel.  Unfortunately I have other health problems and am on various

medication so it is hard to know whats causing any symptoms.  Very confusing at

times.  My last TSH test was .93 I think.  Do you know the results of your blood tests.  Many people are either not diagnosed or under treated especially if your 

tests come back in the normal range.  What is normal for one is not for another.

My Gp said that even on the right dose you don't always lose all your original

symptoms.  Not entirely sure I agree with that.  Hope you get some help. Let us know how you get on.

• Posted

Hi

I have been taking thyroxine for nearly eight years. I have been advised the normal range is 0.5 - 6.0 . My bloods have always been around 2.00 to 3.00. I have read however that Endocrinologists do different blood tests to GP's so even though bloods look to be within the normal range there are other ways to measure your levels. The more I read about it the more complicated it seems to be. I think My GP is putting a lot of symptoms down to Menopause which is why I don't really bother going as I just end up getting annoyed with them.

• Posted

Hi Julie, Isn't it confusing and frustrating. I am nearly 67 and still not sure.

Like you my bloods have always been between 2 and 3 (nearer 3).  The last 2 have been 1.something and now .93.  I can only think that it is something to do with taking D3.  I believe the new thinking for range is 

something like just under 1 to 3. something.  I think that the old range

6 is too high I was 5 when I was diagnosed, but everyone is different.

They should treat patients and symptoms, not blood tests.  My gp tells

me they only check the TSH and if that normal no more they only do the

full thyroid check with T3 and others if the TSH is out of range.  I know

some think they should always do full check, but I assume it is too 

expensive.  I agree with you about menopause it is all too easy to blame

everything on it.  I often go to my GP not just about thryoxine but other

things and feel sometimes as nice as my GP is that I don't get any definate answers.  It will be interesting once you start the Vitamin D if it affects your thyroid blood test results.  I have had a lot of aches and pains lately in addition to arthritis. Now wondering if reducing vit D3 as

gp said will help.  Is too much as bad as not enough.  Take care 

Carol

• Posted

Hi Julie and anyone else interested in Thyroid vitamin D connection.

You might remember that last year my blood test revealed that my vitamin D level was over 100 (after taking supplements from gp for 2 years). My TSH as this time was around 0.97 if I remember correctly.  

My gp advised me to cut my dose in half from 2,200 I.u daily to every other day.  I have just had my yearly blood tests done and my vit D has come back at 50 whilst this is not actually low my gp wants it around 70.

It has however not made much difference to my TSH which is now 0.87.

I am thinking that only low vitamin D affects TSH (mine was 2. something before taking Vit D3 in 2012) and not if it is at normal level or even higher.  This is just my theory but I am probably wrong.  I am now back on 2,200 I.u. daily as before on the advice of my GP.  

• Posted

Hi,  I don't have time for a lengthy reply today but I have been hypothyroid and had painful joints etc.  I learned that it is important to raise your ferritin levels.  Tests for anemia may come back normal but look at the ferritin results.  The range is huge and mine was within range but low.  I was told that everything is ok.  Well it was not because I decided to take a short course of iron tablets and all my aches went away within two weeks.  I just take iron about three times a week now to keep everything good.  I feel much better in every respect.
  • Posted

Hi, I have tried to find information in regards to an underactive thyroid and a vitimin d deficiency and have just come accross this discussion.. I have had an underactive thyroid for 2 and a half years, I am currently taking 150mg. I went to the doctors as I have been sweating really badly on my face and scalp and its really embarrassing. I was hoping my recent blood test results would show my medication was to high which may have explained the sweating, however,  it came back as normal and my doctor would like me to have aother blood test to check my vitamin d levels. I was just wondering if anyone else has this sweating problem?
    • Posted

Hi Vicky. I have been having the same problem. Underactive thyroid and had very low Vitimin D level. Like 17. Been on 50 mcg thyroxine for about a little over year. Took large dose of vitimin D of 50,000 daily for 12 weeks and now down to 2000 ui a day now. But the last 3 months I've noticed my head sweats and just drenches my hair at the scalp and neck. Just doing a little excersion and this happens. I start sweating on my head even when I'm blow drying my hair and have to sit down to cool off. The sweat does run down face and drenches nape of my neck. My last TSH was 1.73 so that was good. Now i'm afraid something has changed I sweat sometimes when I wake up in the morning to. Its driving me crazy and is very embarrassing. I not do to see GP until Nov but I think I will call her next week and try to get in earlier. Also because I'm so fatiqued most days. Something isn't right. So yes have the same problem.  Let me know if yo find out any answers and I will also share mie with you when I go to GP.
    • Posted

Hi Valrae, thank you for your response and I am sorry to hear that you have also been experiencing this. I am having another blood test tomorow to checky vit

D levels, do you feel better in yourself for taking this? I am the exact same as you, when blow drying my hair I sit in front of a fan as the sweat starts running down my face, something like hoovering, changing bedding or walking for the bus ends in sweat literally dripping from my face and neck. My doctor didn't take this seriously last time, she gave me an under arm deodorant and told me to 'have a go at applying it to my face at night' which didn't work at all. I thought my blood test may show my thyroxine dose is to high whichay explain it but that was normal so I will be making an appointment with a different doctor. Thank you again for your response, I really thought I was on my own with this embarrassing condition, I hope we both find answers, I will definitely let you know what my doctor says. Take care

• Posted

Hi Valrae, just to keep you updated. I have just been to the doctors, my thyroid levels are normal and therefore there is no explanation for my excessive sweating and therefore has referred me to a dermatologist for more tests. Hopefully they will find some sort of explanation! 
    • Posted

Hi valrae and vicky,

I was just wondering what age you ladys are? I am 51 now.

Its just that since being hypo thyroid (About 5 years now) I have felt unwell, fatigue, dizziness, palpatations, brain fog, off balance feeling just not myself, now the hot flushes!!!

I have now realized that I was peri menopausal, I think how I am feeling is all down to the menopause not my throid

Take care

Lou

• Posted

Hi lou63. 

I am 69. Found out I was hypothyroid about 2 years know. I never feel good anymore since starting Levothyroxine. NEVER! I have all of your above symptoms. The sweating (mostly from head and neck) is awful. My moods are scary. Somethimes I feel like I'm losing my mind. I'm surprised anyone can stand to be around me. I have bone and muscle pain. Can't concentrate, absessive thoughts. And I'm way passed my menapause. Wish I never would have had a TSH test and found out my diagnosis. Take just 50 mcg thyroxine. Also was vitimin D deficent. We've corrected that. Hopefully!

Hope you get to feeling better Lou   

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.