Thyroid & Vitamin D Deficiency

Posted , 25 users are following.

I have had an Underactive thyroid for 7 years and always taken 100 mg of thyroxine. I have gone

through phases of feeling good and feeling really bad although blood tests have always come back with being within the correct level. I have recently had to go to GP with fatigue and joint pain. The GP rang yesterday to advise I am deficient in vitamin d and I need supplements. Has anyone else

been diagnosed with this ??? If so did the vitamin d make any difference and how long did it take to feel better?

1 like, 60 replies

60 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi This is for Julie and everyone else discussing Thryoid and vitamin D deficiency.

I saw my GP today My last TSH was .93  If you read my post you will see that is has gone down from 2.8 to 1. something and now.93.  This coincided with me taking Vitamin D3.  My Gp says it is nothing to with VD3 and that the Tsh is not stable it does change.  I noticed the range used was 0.3 to 4 so sounds like the lab does not use the new one.  I am sure I read somewhere there is a connection.  What do others think.

Carol

• Posted

I am so glad I have found this forum I have been suffering for about 12 months with Joint and muscle pain mostly in the mornings and evenings. I also experience nausea and heart palpitations and shakiness after i wake up, not just in the morning but even if i have an afternoon nap. AND the big one, extreme fatigue!!

six months ago I was prescribed 50mcg Thyroxine then a follow up blood test confirmed a vit D defficentcey,  sorry I don't know my exact results or exactly what dosage I've been prescribed.

I've been taking both for a solid fivemonths and have not felt any better and sometimes if not worse.

I am definitely not menopausal as I am only 26 years old. This is very frustrating for me and my husband as we have been trying to conceive for 12 months and my lack of energy and motivation has caused some slight depression at times.

My GP is wonderful and referred me to an endocrinologist as soon as she discovered the hypothyroid. The endocronogoligst is great too but I'm sick of feeling this way. 

Thanks everyone for posting your symptoms and hopefully we can all find some answers!!

• Posted

Hi bec

Hope you're feeling better?

I have hypothyroidism and vit d deficiency. .was referred to endocrinologist first and only meeting was useless...no further investigation and told me he didnt do tests for adrenal fatigue. Have lost 7.5 kg since sept 14 due to thyroxine but am still tired all the time.

he didnt listen to any if thatbut referred me to a diet clinic even though I always have eaten healthily and it was when my thyroid levels dropped that I gained water weight.

What did your endocrinologist do? You said he was great...??

• Posted

Hi there 

I have just googled how long it takes for vitamin D supplements to take effect, I've been taking the supplement over two weeks now along with 200mg of thyroxine as I wasn't born with a thyroid- has anyone else got the same? Being born without a thyroid? I get very tired and irritable and I know the meaning of a 3oclock slump! 

Does anyone have any advice on how to cope with no thyroid symptoms ! 

Thanks 

Amy 

• Posted

Hi get your thyroid levels checked every 6 months as that's what you should do anyway as they can change, I've been on thyroxine since having my soon (18 years) , mine has changed in the last year I've gone from taking 200mg to 125mg because of hormone replacement but it does change as we get older, I sometimes have days where I'm so tired my doctor calls it thyroid days, I've been on high doses of vitimin d for a year and it's still to low unfortunately but everyone's different I have a blood test every 3 months I was told it takes 3 months to get into the body, try eating food with vitamin d in it and calcium in it it will help, I hope this helps you.
  • Posted

Dear Julie, 

I have had this as well with my GP, I had a full vitamin check and found that I too was dificient in vitamin D and Calcium, so I was told to go and buy some, even though I get free prescriptions because I have thyroxine. I have been taking 2000 international units of vitamin D now for a month and 1000 mg of calcium that was recommended by my GP to take. I haven't been told when to stop etc. 

• Posted

Hi Just to say I too take thyroxine and was found to have low vitamin D following a wrist fracture where a dexa scan revealed osteopenia.  My calcium levels were fine.  I started taking 2,200 iu in summer 2012.  Last year my gp reduced the dose to one every other day as my level were at the upper end.  Will not know how this has worked until my yearly blood tests in a couple of months.  I had them on prescription obviously free of charge but some where a long the line my surgery decided not to prescribe vitamins and iron etc so I have to buy them now.  I think I had an original check to see how the vitD3 was working around 3 months after taking them, but i can't really remember.  As to whether they have made any diffence to my health I don't know I have so much else wrong it is hard to tell.  Hope this helps.
    • Posted

Hi I've been taking thyroxine for a long time but when I had a full hysterectomy at 39 I then started having problems about 2 years after so I started hormone treatment it affected my thyroid so the dosage has been changed to 125mg from 2002, I had no trace of vitimin d in my body the only reason I fond this out was that I got very sick last year and they fond out while I was in hospital with very bad asthma and pneumonia they said my vitimin D level had caused this, it's been a year now and I'm still on high levels of vitimin D but it's only 36 which is low as it's got to be 90 apparently, but at least my hair has stopped falling out and my asthma is better than it was, the pains in my bones are not so bad either, it just goes to show how much we need vitimin D and what happens when it gets so low so I urge people to get yours checked every three months as I have to know as it can make you very unwell indeed..
    • Posted

Hi I'd go back to your gp and talk to him about this and ask for a percription for the vitamins and how long you gave to take them, try eating and drinking food that contain these vitamins too as it will help that what I do x
    • Posted

Hi Your reply has made me think.  My vitamin D levels were 39 when diagnosed so not that low.  As I mentioned I started on 2,200 iu per day back in 2012.  My levels increased and in 2014 they were I think 107.  My gp said this was high enough and cut the dose by half.  I do have various health problems including wide spread OA I do get a lot of odd pains so I do wonder if I need the full dose.  I know of people you take much higher doses including a member of my family.  I have also read that you should take vit k with them, but my gp did not seem to think so.

I too have asthma and hyprothyroidism so another hromone problem.

Does make you think about all these being connected.  Low Vit D does go with thyroid problems and I only found this out my self by researching.  By the way can I ask which bones did you get pain in, I have just remembered too that the orthopaedic consultant did say I should be on Vit D which of course I already was.

• Posted

Hi there, thank you for replying, I do eat healthily and what is actually a shocker is that prior the vitamin blood check I was taking multi vits for three months prior, so I don't understand the non existant vit d and calcium, I will go back for more understanding. 
    • Posted

Hi there, I read somewhere about vit k as well and will ask my doctor about this. I have read also that having an under-active thyroid does cause a lot of other niggly things such as vit d deficiency and lack of calcium etc, also my age is such now that I have to be careful with osteoporosis
    • Posted

Hiya I was getting very bad pain in my bones in my legs and hip it felt like they were being squeezed really horrible.
    • Posted

Hi I think it's different for everyone it's took a year for my level to get to 39 It going up but slow I still feel tired some days, the gp said I should have a holiday in the sun, I said can I have a percription then to cover it as I've not got the money hehe, fortunately my bf surprised me and is taking me to a island called ischia in Italy :-) yay
    • Posted

Lovely you have got a holiday to look forward to.  I hope it does you good relaxing in the sun. 
    • Posted

Thanks for that info.  Because I have arthritis in my knees,spine neck and just lately been told hips as well, I can never tell with all my aches and pains what it causing what.  The consultant last year said that the pains that I get in my thigh down the leg into foot are from the spine not the knees.  These pains in many ways are worse than the knees which

are bad enough.  The worst ones go down the shins or outside of leg into ankle and foot which is why I asked about your pain.  I am due annual blood tests soon so should know what my vit d levels are if they have gone down a lot I will go up to full dose again.  Just to say it is hard to describe the pain in the legs sort of like toothache and cramp at times always bought on by exercise and walking.  I had this happen to my other leg in 2013 it went on for months and they were going to do a knee washout but suddenly the pain went.  Hoping this will do the same.

My knee and back do vary but are basically there most of the time. This leg pain makes it hard to sleep.

• Posted

Hi Mumm9265  I too have been told about Vit K  but my doc was not too sure about it, I think it makes aure that the calcium goes where it is supposed to ie your bones and not other areas like your arteries etc.  I am thinking about adding some to my D3 when I take it, it may definitely be worth discussing with your Gp.  There are so many vitamins and minerals out there that probably would do something   where do we draw the line?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.