Tibial tubercle osteotomy

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi guys I am new here and looking for some help!

I am due to have a Tibial tubercle osteotomy on 7th September and looking for some personal experiences

I have been told I will be wearing a brace for at least 6 weeks and will be an overnight stay in hospital.

Thanks

1 like, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Good luck on finding someone here with that experience. Most of us are knee rreplacement patients.

Yours is an interesting case though. Is this surgery due to an injury or the way the bone and leg has grown or developed.

• Posted

Sorry im new here so must have posted in the wrong place.

Its the way my knee developed - my knee cap sits too high.

Had a new knee cap groove made in Jan 2016 but knee cap needs to be moved down to fit better into it.

• Posted

I had never heard of this before so had to look it up on the internet. Interesting procedure. I hope that someone will be able to share their experience with you. Best wishes.
  • Posted

Hi Kayleigh,

we're a group of TKRs but I checked out the search box above for you.  Just put  "Tibial tubercle osteotomy" into the search box above and a number of references come up.  I don't know if any or them are relevant for you, but it may be a start.

All the best

• Posted

I am due to have a high tibial osteotomy in 2 weeks, hoping it goes ahead as first op cancelled at last minute. Like you I can't find any recent patients.

• Posted

Where are you in the UK?

I have found a few discussions on knee GURU but all threads are really old!

Fingers crossed yours doesnt get cancelled again.

My consultant is helping with another consultants list and offered to do it this week for me but I wanted to get summer holidays with my 9 year old out of the way first! x

• Posted

How long have you been waiting for your op. I have been on the waiting list 7 months but am told patients often wait 12 months for an osteotomy. I have found the Hampshire knee clinic website good but then again from a little while ago
    • Posted

I've been on waiting list since April.

My consultant was Mr Eldridge who has done other knee sugery on me but he has another consultant trained under him called Mr Clark and going with him cut my waiting time down from 11-12 months to just 5 months.

What have you been told in terms of recovery? Have you been told 6 weeks brace too? x

• Posted

Recovery terms very  varied. Up to 12 weeks on crutches but most off by 6 I know all patients recover differently but this op seems to vary more than most in terms of recovery. Some are no weight  bearing on bad leg And some partial weight bearing. I am with Morecambe bay hospitals and it seems not many consultants do this op

• Posted

So happy you guys found each other!  Good luck to both of you!  and see if there's a forum as well.  Just put  "Tibial tubercle osteotomy" into the search box above and a number of references come up.  I don't know if any or them are relevant for you, but it may be a start.

• Posted

I didnt ask about how long on crutches but just thought at least 6 weeks as have brace on until then. Forgot to ask about weight bearing or non weight bearing! I dont think its a very common op as dont seem to be many consultants that do it. Just wish there was more information around about it!
    • Posted

I think its the last thing they can do.

I've already had a new cap groove made and had 2 ligament reconstructions but knee cap just doesnt want to sit in the right place

Whats the issue with your knee?

• Posted

Will try to be brief Had pain after exercising for maybe 3 years and went to gp Nov 2015 after MRI in Dec had an arthroscopy in April 2016 for a torn meniscus which showed significant damage to a small part of knee which is usually caused by a sporting injury. Had this damage been larger the consultant would have recommended a tkr but he thought an osteotomy would be better but as he didn't do the procedure he referred me to someone else, unfortunately this consultant went long term sick so I was then moved to  a another consultant so things have dragged on.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.