Tibial tubercle osteotomy

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi guys I am new here and looking for some help!

I am due to have a Tibial tubercle osteotomy on 7th September and looking for some personal experiences

I have been told I will be wearing a brace for at least 6 weeks and will be an overnight stay in hospital.

Thanks

1 like, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi there! 

Nice to see some other people due to have the op, well- not nice but you know what I mean! I am 1 week post TTO of my left knee today. Had a lateral release too. I had patella alta where the kneecap sat too high and too lateral and as such have been suffering from recurrent dislocations since I was 11- I'm now 30! All got too much after it went 3 times between Dec and Feb so got referred. Right knee not wonderful but not quite as unstable (touch wood) so hoping only one knee will need the op. See how it goes. I've been told I may need my medial femoropatellar ligament reconstructing at a later date but again its a wait and see at this stage. 

I'm currently in a cricket splint and am only allowed to toe touch weight bear (barely anything), not allowed to flex my knee for the 2 weeks I'm in the splint. Got an appointment next week with the surgeon to check the wound etc and as long as shes happy I'll then go into a hinged brace for the following 4-6 weeks which will be altered weekly and the real work will start!

I've never been so terrified in all my life if I'm honest as never been in hospital for anything, never had a GA. I'm actually a vet so I felt I should've been more prepared but I was just so nervous. I think unless someone has experienced the recurrent dislocations they dont understand the anxiety it creates over such instability. 

I have to say I've been very pleasantly surprised with the pain levels post op. I stayed in one night and other than a few issues with low BP the knee was fine. I was discharged with paracetamol/codeine and oral morphine to use if needed. Haven't needed to take the morphine, gave up on codeine as seems to make me dizzy so just taking paracetamol and ibuprofen and on the whole, its comfortable. Sensation is a bit altered currently around the area but still a fair bit of swelling, I'm icepacking it regularly too. Sizeable incision- not actually seen it yet but from what I can see below the dressing, looks around the 8cm distance which is what my surgeon said to expect. 

If I can help with any other questions I'd be glad to. I met a lady on the ward who had just had her second knee done with the same surgery and she said the difference it had made to her other knee was amazing. Keeping my fingers crossed it has the same effect for me. 

Look forward to hearing from you. 

• Posted

Hi Jo really good to hear from you and so interesting. I had never realised until recently how many different leg problems there are. Don't want to sound dumb but not quite sure what a tto is 

can you explain. I am not as concerned so much with the op as the recovery I don't like the idea of all the inactivity and keeping the leg raised. Talking to someone recently they said my op had been great for her young horse which is now happily galloping around the paddock. I wonder what your views on this are as a vet. I notice your e mail was sent in the early hours, hope its not pain keeping you awake

• Posted

Hi Jo,

Lovely to hear back from you with your experiences.

I have had 5 knee ops already (including 3 MPFL reconstructions) as I also suffer from the same condition of patella alta and frequent dislocations.

Where are you located and who was your surgeon?

Glad to hear you only had to stay in 1 night and pain is ok. Was your op quite early in the day? I've been told I am 3rd on the list on surgery day so prob wont go down until mid afternoon!

How long have you been told to take off of work?

When do you start physio?

Sorry for all the questions! xx

• Posted

It seems ultra efficient where you are to actually know where you are on the list, very reassuring. I won't be given my surgery time until admitted.

• Posted

When I saw my consultant last week he showed me his diary and it showed I was 3rd on the day - always nice to know in advance!

This can change though as sometimes people come in for ops but are not fit on the day so have to rearrange and you get pushed up a place

• Posted

Hi Kayleigh haven't seen my consultant since Jan. On the morning of the op I have to phone to check the bed is still available so I will be phoning at 6.30 as the hospital is an hour away and I have to be there for 7.45. This isn't my nearest hospital but one in the group of UHMB but I was told if I went there I would get an earlier op can't imagine how long it would take at my nearest hospital. Changing the subject I saw an interesting article yesterday about someone who needed 2 tkr and he was having them both do in the same op

• Posted

Ah I see - figners crossed they have a bed for you then. I have to be there at 9am so not quite so early - I live about an hour away too as my consultant doesnt operate at the hospital closest to me.

Do you not have a pre op assessment check then where they check weight, height, heatlh conditions, heart and lungs? I also had to have an MRSA swab done - she said its a lot more rare now as Southmead has private rooms with no shared facilities.

I dont think I would want 2 TKR's at the same time!

• Posted

Hi Karen,

Sorry for the delayed reply- don't know about you but I find it really hard to follow the feed on here! 

So basically a TTO- also known as a tibial tuberosity transfer.... here goes! There is a lumpy area of bone at the top of your tibia which is where the patella tendon inserts onto and attaches. Basically the surgery involves removing that area of bone with the tendon attached and relocating it to change the overall tracking and alignment of the kneecap. It's a surgery designed to change the biomechanics of the joint. 

I'm actually a small animal vet so no idea about it in horses but it is a procedure that can be done in dogs as a cruciate stabilisation surgery and or for patella problems. 

Pleased to report I've not been kept awake with it. It's a weird sensation if I'm honest- not sure how much I can say is really painful as oppose to uncomfortable but expecting more pain when physio starts properly. 

Hope that helps? X

• Posted

Hi Kayleigh, 

Apologies for the delayed reply. Struggling to follow this easily! 

I was first on the list fortunately! I nearly changed my mind and left so it's a good job really! Knew it was for the best but was just terrified for many reasons. I'm ok Cheshire and was under Karen Luscombe at Leighton Hospital, she comes with a v good reputation and does seem to do a few of these. 

So I've definitely found out more as I've gone along. I wasn't expecting a brace for 6-8 weeks which is the case, i was only originally told 2 weeks in a straight splint. I've been told off work for 6-8 weeks but according to the physio schedule I'll only just be fully weight bearing at 8 weeks- so with my job as busy and active as it is I'm not sure it will be as simple as straight back to work fully functional! Have to just see how it goes to be honest. 

I have a young Labrador so really missing playing and walking him but he is being very good around me to be fair. 

In relation to your prior surgeries what were the other two if you don't mind me asking? My surgeon told me she wouldn't do the ligament reconstruction until she'd done the bony realignment bit (TTO/TTT) as otherwise there's a risk of failing as all the dynamics are wrong to start with. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that won't be needed- how long did that take to recover from? 

Jo x

• Posted

No problem at all Jo - very hard to follow on here!

I was first for my last op and went down around 10am but this one i'm not expecting to be down until around 2pm which is a long wait when you cant drink from 7am!

I was told I would have a brace for min of 6 weeks and then x ray to see if bone has knitted together ok. Not sure when physio will start.

I work in an office but 5 floors up (10 flights of stairs) and they wont allow me back until I can walk down the stairs safetly in the event of a fire alarm! Luckily I get up to 6 months full pay so initally I think 12 weeks off and take it from there.

My surgeon did offer to do my op this week or next but wanted to wait until after summer hols as I have a 9 year old to entertain!

I've had 3 liagment reconstructions as they wanted to try that first but didnt work unfortunately - recovery from these is much quicker as only key hole.

I have also had 2 trochleoplastys - ops to make a new knee cap groove and these were very painful so I am use to surgery now!

How did physio go? Is pain ok now?

Kayleigh x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.