Tight skin

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi all,

One month out, and doing really good.  

Managing on just paracetomol and ibuprofin - much less pain than I ever expected.  

The two needling areas are sleep, or lack of - which I expected and am dealing with.  You can never have too many pillows following a knee surgery!

And then, the tightness on my skin over my knee is intense.  Not only at the scar site, but the whole knee itself.

Has anyone found a way to help ease this and get the elasticity back?

I am using Bio Oil on the scare to help fade it.  But I wondered if there was anything people use for the tightness?

Thanks!

2 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Should have said, one month out from a TKR.

Is there a way to edit our posts?

• Posted

Hi, I used organic coconut oil on my last knee, did an amazing excellent job, my wound was glued and I can hardly see it 7 months on. Scar not healed on this one so holding off.
    • Posted

I was thinking about using coconut oil as well. Happy to hear you had such good results!
  • Posted

Hi PenceJan! I was wondering how you were doing and am thrilled to hear you are doing well with the pain. I am very interested in any responses you get as I am starting to experience the same with skin tightness. (I am just about 3 weeks post TKR). I'm not yet massaging the incision as I still have some steri strips, but I do massage the area around it and the back of my knee.

I am also having "hypersensitivity" around the incision, especially at night and can't stand anything touching it. Anyone have suggestions? I do try to use only a light cover, exposing the incision area if I can. Not the easiest when you keep trying to find a comfortable sleeping position!

Happy Healing to all and many thanks!

Linda

• Posted

Hi Linda Sue,

Try using a knee sleeve to keep your scar from touching anything. It should help.  Check Amazon. Good luck in your recovery! I am also 3 weeks post op:-)

• Posted

Hi Susan,

Actually I bought one from Amazon after reading about it here on the Forum. The issue is it's really thick and warm. I may just try it again though as the sensitivity at night (among other things) is making it hard to get comfortable enough to sleep. Good to have a partner that is also at the same stage of recovery at me! 

• Posted

I used and am continuing vitamin e oil.  It helped/helps a lot.  I was in PT for 10 weeks 3 times a week.
    • Posted

I think I will alternate the Vitamin E oil with coconut oil. Thanks for the suggestion. My surgeon ordered 5 weeks of PT 3x/week but I'm pretty sure it will be extended.

• Posted

Vitamin E oil massaged in with the thumbs twice a day has been my best remedy. Besides lubricating it heals all the ay to the bone. Great for scar tissue.
  • Posted

Yes I found that too I use baby oil many times a day and it helps me
  • Posted

Hi everyone. It's really the skin over my entire knee which feels so tight. I suppose it may be the swelling but that is minimal. I like the idea of coconut oil

And vit E. I have both. Maybe I just need to be patient for the tightness I feel. Must be what a face lift feels like!! Lol

Lindas glad you are doing OK. ..early days for us but so far I am very happy with the results.

The physio was astounded tonight...I only see him once every 2 weeks and he checks me over and gives me some home exercises and that's it. he told me tonight to ditch my crutches, that I don't need them.

And he got a 105 bend and said my leg is as straight as a new leg. 😊 so really feeling good.

I can tell already that my limp is gone and no more bone on bone pain. All this in just 4 weeks!!

But like you....good sleep still eludes me. I use loads of pillows to support, bolster or cushion where needed.

Good luck!!!!

• Posted

That is wonderful progress!! I have PT 3x a week with home exercises in between. My extension is zero and my walking is much improved but my bend is only about 95. I know I need to do better to avoid the manipulation. (The pain from the bending exercises is excruciating just as many others have said!) But I am just 3 weeks tomorrow, so I'm hoping I'm not that far behind. My therapist said today I am making steady progress and that everyone progresses differently. Still, I am pretty anxious about it. If you don't mind me asking, what is a typical day's exercises for you? Keep up the great work...you are definitely inspiring me!

• Posted

Hi 

I've found massaging vitamin E twice a day has really helped.  The tightness has gone and three months on from op, just thin red line 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.