Tight skin

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi all,

One month out, and doing really good.  

Managing on just paracetomol and ibuprofin - much less pain than I ever expected.  

The two needling areas are sleep, or lack of - which I expected and am dealing with.  You can never have too many pillows following a knee surgery!

And then, the tightness on my skin over my knee is intense.  Not only at the scar site, but the whole knee itself.

Has anyone found a way to help ease this and get the elasticity back?

I am using Bio Oil on the scare to help fade it.  But I wondered if there was anything people use for the tightness?

Thanks!

2 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello, I am two and a half weeks in and my mobility is quite good.  Playing with a bored 2 yr. old in the garden yesterday to keep her quiet (no other solution available) has really done my knee in this morning and I will have to rest up all day.   I am new, but I have hated the tightness surrounding my knee.  I stil have the plaster on, of course, which does pull the skin very tight - have you taken yours off already?   The stockings should stay on 6 weeks.    With the stockigs and plaster it does cause a lot of discomfort, and I can't wait to get some air around my legs.  I also have a small numb patch on the right of my knee.   You are doing well on the pain medicine so there is hope for us all.   Wishing you good progress, regards Janet

• Posted

Don't worry about the scar - my first tkr 18 months ago and can hardly see the scar anyway and I haven't had money to get that stuff.

You're doing fabulously well on the pain meds!! Well done!

• Posted

Hi Jan -- I'm at exactly the same stage as you, and have had the same problem with the scar. I'm using Bio Oil too, along with lavender essential oil. My physio showed me how to gently massage around the incision, where there are bumpy bits -- small, gentle, circular movements with your thumbs. I've been doing this twice a day for a week, and it feels MUCH better. Ice also helps. It will get better -- good luck! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.