Time for some good vibes

Posted , 16 users are following.

There are so many negative and bad news posts in this menopause forum, perhaps it is time for something different. Time for a little bit of light in the darkness. Of course, one would expect to find mainly distressing tales on a patient website - it is the nature of the beast. People are on here to tell their tales, get support and share information or advice. But there is a place for good news to give people hope, especially with menopause, which is a minefield of possible treatments (not just HRT but also medications or alternative therapies to tackle individual symptoms) and which, in the majority of cases, passes. Unfortunately, it is often the case that those women who have found the best solution for them or have found successful ways to cope or for whom menopause is over, they no longer visit this forum - and why would they? - they no longer need advice or support. However, hearing the good news can be just as important as sharing our tales of woe. Of course we should not belittle menopause - many women have exhausted all the available options and are still suffering ... all the more important for them to hear something positive, I would have thought. There are also many women who have exhausted all the possible options but still remain active and positive - how have they done that? What helped them cope? It would be helpful to hear. There are also women who have been through the trials of menopause and come out the other end unscathed - it would be inspiring for those still in the quagmire of menopausal symptoms to know there is an end in sight - it can be difficult to believe there is an end when you are in the middle of it all.

So, no bad vibes here, just good vibes - please post on here your successful coping strategies and, also, let's hear from those women for whom all the menopausal crap has passed (if you still follow these discussion, let us know that there is light at the end of the dark tunnel). Just positive, uplifting stories - somewhere where those of us who benefit from hearing such things can go. There are plenty of discussions in the menopause forum where women share their struggles - time for something salutogenic.

10 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

It has been interesting to hear from those for whom the menopause saga has passed. Also interesting to hear how people have coped and managed to remain positive. I was doing some research and found that studies have shown that "the attitude with which you embark upon this transition can have a tremendous impact on your experience of it, as well as on your choice of behaviors. Negative beliefs held prior to menopause can be predictive of a more difficult time. For instance, the more catastrophic your thoughts about hot flashes, the more intense they will be. Depression during menopause is not uncommon.

More recently, it has also been shown that changing those negative thoughts and attitudes can result in a reduction of symptoms. Even in the face of difficult symptoms, women consistently say that changing their outlook helps. The following tips can help you transform your menopause experience."

That reminded me that I saw a TV programme where they took a number of women with various menopausal symptoms such as hot flushes / flashes and anxiety and gave them cognitive behavioural therapy and not only did their coping improve but their symptoms improved too. I know such research can feel a bit like the medical world is trying to prove that menopause is all in our minds but I think it is the medical world trying to come up with alternative ways to help, especially as HRT doesn't help everyone. Of course the symptoms are very real and physical but there are alternatives we can try. Acupuncture can be very effective too ... I think someone mentioned that on here. I myself found mindfulness to be helpful. I'm not saying these things help everyone, but it may be worth trying out a few alternatives if you are struggling - you might just stumble upon something that works for you.

For those interested in trying cognitive behavioural therapy, The National Institute for Health and Care Excellence in the UK recommends CBT as a treatment option for menopausal women and states that GPs and health care professionals should provide info and advice on getting this treatment ... just a little tit bit that may be useful to take to your GP when they tell you they have exhausted all the options for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.