Time to be very careful

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi Fellow Hippies

I just spent the last 24 hours in hospital after accidently over dosing on one of my meds. I have now used my phone alarm system to make sure I don't make the same mistake again.

The pain medication I took was not just a pain reliever it is also a respiratory depressant. Other than the fact of taking all these pain meds at every opportunity and still being in constant although a bit more bearable pain this is one of the reasons I can't wait to get my hip done and get off them. NSAID and opioids are the worst types of meds to be on. I was diagnosed with asthma many years ago. Although I don't usually suffer from it so don't beleive I have it.and have been miss diaghnosed. Therefore I should not be taking ibuprophen. But it has been priscribed for me annother nasty medication that can cause heart attacks.. I really can't wait to get off them and just have some pain meds to kill any pain while I heal.

2 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Goodness Hailea Im really glad youre ok thats frightening how easy it is to take too many tablets especially if you have different ones to take each day.

After my first hip op I couldnt beleive the number of pills they sent me home with and to begin with I got in to a right old state about which ones to take and forgetting if I had already taken them. So I bought one of those 7 day pill boxes which made my life so much easier especially as I had to take different pills at different times of the day. The good thing about them too is you can easily see what you have and havent taken.

Good to know you are ok though.

Take care

Linnet x

• Posted

Hi Lynnet

Thank you

I keep asking other 1/2 to get me on but he keeps forgetting. So I have found my phone alarm system very handy to remind me now and you can put notes on to say you have taken it so when the alarm goes off I change the message underneath in capitals I put TAKEN and then I know I have taken it and not missed it or wont over does again...

• Posted

Dearest Hailea, 

wow girl ... that IS scary ... 

My girlfriend took Ibuproven on a regular base for her migraine headaches until she had such a bad reaction that she too was hospitalized - since it was sold over the counter, she didn't think it was strong enough so yeah, she took more ... 

take the meds forst before you put TAKEN, okay ... I just saying this because I have a tendency to mark things as "done" when I actually haven't ....

oh well ....

big hug and love, 

take care

renee

• Posted

Dear renee it wasn't the ibuprophen I over dosed on it was my morphine tablets. eek  you have to stay off them for 24 hours and not take oramorph either for 24 hours so it all leaves your body. I only had the paracetamol and ibuprophen for pain killers for 24 hours. They asked me on a scale of 1-10 10 being the worse what pain I was in. I said to be honest even on a scale of 1 to 10 million it would not cut it for the pain I was in my once it wore off sad 

i took took two doses with 2 hours between and I was still in pain I am not sure why they only are interested in taking X Ray's of my hip when I tell them my knee. My ankle and my shin and my calf are also very painful. 

But I guess they know best. I will find out when I see my surgeon and ask him. 

• Posted

P.S.

what is that on  your profile picture ? 

• Posted

That is my Harry Potter patronus. I did a fun quiz about Harry Potter to see what patronus I would get. It turned out to be my favourite animal. The wolf. 
  • Posted

Hi hailea,

Wow! You have had a tough time. Glad you are still with us.

I like the cat on your picture. Is it specially for Halloween?

• Posted

Yeah I thought I would put my Harry Potter patronus up for Halloween I was lucky to get my favourite animal when I did a fun quiz to see what I would be comparable to. 
    • Posted

Don't worry at that size it isn't really clear what it is. renee is the forum cat lady so I wouldnt dare puit a cat pic up lol cheesygrin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.