Time to change!!

Posted , 10 users are following.

For the past 4yrs, I have begin drinking a lot more than I once did, more so the past yr. I drink 1-2 bottles of wine per evening and have fallen into the habbit of buying it and drinking it when maybe some times I'm not even sure I want it. I'm 34, got a lovely husband, two beautiful children, a lovely home etc but I'm a bit lonley and as stupid as it sounds, the wine is almost a familiar face - a friend. How sad is that?! I do have friends but I don't work as I can't find something to fit around the school hrs so spend a fair bit of time on my own and then look forward to that bottle of wine in the evening after a nice bath and the kids are in bed. 

I'm becoming more aware that im drinking more and fed up with it. I wake up feeling super tired, groggy and a bit crappy but put on my happy face and don't show it. Then, come lunch time I feel great and life just repeats itself! I want to be able to look forward to a drink as aposed to just opening a bottle, drinking it and it just being the norm. 

Thing is, when I do try go a day or two without it I feel a bit narky, almost like a spoilt brat who can't get her own way.

Any advice on how i can brave my first week?? 

Thanks for your help! smile

2 likes, 65 replies

65 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I forgot how good it feels to wake up with a clear head! Strangely enough I had to pee a lot during the night which I never do and my kidneys were slightly aching. So far so good though - it's Friday - normally my excuse to feel non-guilty about drinking because hey, it's the weekend! Not tonight though, aiming for another set night. 🤞🏼🤞🏼

• Posted

Good for you smile! It can be quite powerful to start breaking key points when you would drink. It is a re-training of the brain (amongst other things) but it can take a long time, especially if you have years of your brain expecting the opposite ie time for a drink! But perseverance will pay off.
  • Posted

Hello Danielle and all 

I've been following this chat during the last few days but have only just found the time to reply so soory to be late 

Firstly I wanted to say how pleased I was to hear that you wanted so desperately to make a change now. I think I remember you saying you were early 30's , happily married, with children. That was me too . Now I will be 46 in a couple of months and how I wish I had actioned the changes when I was your age and in your position. Now, I'm divorced, my grown up kids have left (one on drugs ) There have been many traumas for me to overcome but I must say , the bottle makes things far far worse . If you can do this now , when you are in a happy space as it were , you are more likely to cope if any hiccups come your way. I'm not saying they will , but just making a point that life happens etc . You know all this anyway.

I do feel Qwen has the answers Go Qwen !! What a great idea having a little dark chocolate then still drinking a bottle a night Sat and Sun . Over the years I have tried everything 

AA ....No way , felt I was brainwashed 

Quantum Sobriety ....Felt I was brainwashed again 

Various other techniques 

The solution I feel works is to take control of your own addiction , but ! learning all the facts from all the scientisits so that you don't give yourself a hard time with guilt , shame etc . Seems like you are on a roll though and thats really inspiring to read

If you look up Annie Grace on facebook , she has many videos where people post questions and she answers them . I find her amazing and the book she has written , The Naked Mind is excellent . I like her because she accepts and understands that everyone is an individual and we all have our own way. Some are helped by AA and choose to become t total but others CAN actually control their drinking 

I'm all out to experience life and to be honest enjoy my wine . Whenever I cut it out completely I always go back when something traumatic happenes . Keeping it steady with daily meditation and congratulating myself in the mornings works for me .

I know , some cannot do that and I admire their sobriety 

Anyway, enough of me going on . 

You've really given me the push to restart my brain and change my habits , because thats what they are , for the better so thanks 

I wish you all the best 

xx

• Posted

Hope everyone is doing well!

I had a lovely alcohol controlled weekend, was really good to feel in control but super hard too. It's Monday so it's a dry day. I've also joined Slimming world which I'm hoping will curb the drinking and aid the stone I want to lose. Excited!!

X

• Posted

Hi 

Well done you sounds like real progress to me!

Although I had a few over the weekends it was nothing like previous levels last weekend.

What helped me was making plans to do other things - one evening I had to drive so a no no and the other a concert with friends - so late nights and tired mornings but more to do with late nights. 

That might be my way to change?

Still have the nagging feeling but trying to keep the demon in the box.

keep it up !

A

• Posted

I think keeping yourself busy is key!

I'm decorating all the week and keep having bottles of water close to hand so I keep drinking, just not drinking alcohol.

It's tough but we'll all get there!

• Posted

Its good to have support while doing so - knowing others are in a similar place just made me feel better too!
    • Posted

andy and danielle - both of you are doing really well.  It is a hard slog but well worth it when you know how much your insides are thanking you for the much needed breather smile
  • Posted

Hope everyone is doing well!

I had a lovely alcohol controlled weekend, was really good to feel in control but super hard too. It's Monday so it's a dry day. I've also joined Slimming world which I'm hoping will curb the drinking and aid the stone I want to lose. Excited!!

X

• Posted

Day 4 of no drinking and I've decided to have one! I'd have potentially done up to 8 bottles by now - so happy how things are going.

It's not easy though, yesterday I was very irritated and easily annoyed but I trying and my husband told me how proud he is which is a big help. He's aware I'm going to have down and narky days but I genuinely can't fault the support - he's amazing!o

• Posted

*Day 4 of not drinking this week 😊

• Posted

Exceptionally well done D good for you. Great progress.

The thingt to do is to keep busy - helps me, that said had a few slippery days and didnt like myself for giving in,still not at previous levels but the AFD is so hard.

Will try again!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.