Tingling and numbness THR

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi, I am 4 weeks left hip posterior THR. I still have tingling and partial numbness on my operated side  on leg and foot.  Without this, I would be walking pretty well.  Is this FOOT DROP.  Would this go away? Anybody has this experience?

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Foot drop is when you cannot or have difficulty flexing your foot upward and possibly turning it side to side.

I had my surgery in May of 2017 and still have foot drop. It is impacting my quality of life to the point that I am depressed and anxious a good deal of the time. I have a brace to hold my foot up, but I still cannot drive, do steps normally, or walk for long distances. There is constant numbness and tingling for which I am taking yet another drug. It's all awful!

I am in physical therapy twice a week, and my surgeon has not released me from his care yet. I have had MRIs, EMGs, X-rays, spinal injections for the bulging disc that has resulted from the pressure on my back from the uneven gait. I feel like all I've done for the past year is see doctors, chiropractors, acupuncturists, and therapists.

Now, having painted that picture for you, if you have the ability to move your foot and walk somewhat normally, it is unlikely you have foot drop. Numbness and tingling are normal for many people following surgery.

Best of luck to you and keep moving!

• Posted

Dear Debina.  I’m sorry that you still suffering,  I hope the day of total wellness is coming for you.  Well, I can lift my tires and bend my ankle higher a tiny bit but numznd tingling on top of foot and side of my operated leg. I should be walking without aid if not for the numbness.

Good luck Debina !

• Posted

I understand that they have to cut through the nerves that run down the outside of our thighs and sometimes further. I am 3 months out of anterior thr and the outside thigh is numb-ish still and uncomfortable to touch. It's never affected my walking though but different approach. My point is that the weird feeling and numbness.i believe will eventually resolve. Doctor said some people have it for up to a year but I dont know how yours would compare to what I'm experiencing. Good luck!

• Posted

Dear Molly, i’m Just frustrated that I could probably walk without aid by now the numbness gets me to walk with a cane.  I hope it will get better.  Thanks, Millie
  • Posted

Hi.  I’m 5 weeks out from rthr.  I, too, have numbeness down the outside of my thigh and a burning sensation as well as unpleasant tingling above and to the right of my knee.  The tingling is really quite painful and keeps my awake and it hurts to have any pressure put on the skin.  My consultant suggested medication for nerve damage, as of course these have been cut. I’m now taking this and it helps although doesn’t get rid of it. However it doesn’t appear to affect my recovery and my walking is improving daily.  I’ve started to walk without any aids indoors - but not for too long.  Crutches when outside still.  Good luck
    • Posted

Hi Pippyj

Im curious when you say you WALK unaided indoors. Are you walking normal or limping? I am 9 weeks po and can't seem to walk NORMALLY unaided but pretty normal with light support of a cane.

Thanks!

• Posted

I walked unaided indoors as soon as I got home from hospital. In fact I really furniture surfed so I was cheating. I was rubbish with crutches so they were left at the front door gathering dust. 
    • Posted

Dear Pippy, May I ask what kind of medication? And did you do physiology also?

Thanks!

Millie

• Posted

I have managed not to limp at all. I was totally housebound before my op, so goodness knows why I did not have a limp. I did try to concentrate on not having one so perhaps I hypnotised myself! 
    • Posted

I must admit I do use a cane when I go to the swimming pool. It means I have an excuse to use the disabled changing room which is superb and so much nicer than the normal changing rooms. It does have lots of rails to hang onto which is helpful. 
    • Posted

I’m walking normally with no limp that I’m aware of.  However this is the 2nd time this hip has been replaced in 13 months and this time it’s been done differently.  I don’t know how but last year I couldn’t walk without a limp at all.  I’m only walking unaided for short periods as I’m determined nothing will go wrong this time.  I only walk unaided when I’m fresh and not tired and afterwards sit with my leg up to prevent any swelling.  Little and often and I’m hoping to be completely fit within the next 6 weeks or so.  Btw I’m a reasonably fit 72 year old. 
  • Posted

Hi Millie

Tingling, pinging, zings, jolts, stabs and the occasional "clunk" appear to be all part of the muscles, tendons, nerves and bones finding their way back together after this invasive op.

We WILL be whole again!

Happy healing?

• Posted

Thank you so much the inspiring reply.  I’m feeling down because of all these feelings.  I want to get back active life and not pinned on a cane.

Thank you againYabut !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.