Tip of the penis (meatus) is red and swollen like lips, what is the problem?

Posted , 59 users are following.

I am 29 years old, the tip of my penis (meatus) is red and swollen like lips (check the attached photos please), it has been like this since many years, sometimes the redness/swelling is little more other times is little less, I have never had sex before. There is no pain neither burning sensations, there is no blood when I urinate or ejaculate or even any type of strange discharges, everything feels just normal, it is a bit sensitive to touch yet, including the glans itself and sometimes it has an unpleasent smell.

I am uncircumcised and I cannot retract my foreskin all the way back, Lately I've started stretching the foreskin and I am seeing some results by exposing more of the glans. I haven't been cleaning underneath the foreskin before, just lately I've started washing it with water everyday. I have been masturbating since 10+ years almost everyday, and lately I have reduced it to around twice per week.

I would like to know if there is a problem with the tip of my penis opening being red and swollen? Do you think there is any serious problem with it? Is it normal that it smells unpleasant sometimes? any suggestions to reduce the swelling/redness and also reduce the sensitivity?

Sorry for the long description. Appreciate your kind advises and help.

3 likes, 76 replies

76 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Any updates on this? 

I'm having the same since two months now. Swollen and red meatus, sometimes the feeling that something is still in the urethra after peeing. Sometimes I have too pee more often or just feel the urge to pee even after urinating. No burning or pain while urinating, but a few minutes after a light burning sensation. A mild discomfortable feeling in the urethra or at the meatus for some time. 

In general, the symptoms are not heavy, but consistent and annoying. I hasn't been to the doctor, but I think I will see a urologist next week or so because it does  not go away on its own. 

• Posted

Hey I hope you can answer back. Have the same issue pretty much and just wondering if you found a solution?
  • Edited

Hi.. Was this resolved? I have exactly the same issue for over an year. I was so passive it would take care on its own. But everytime I touch that swollen part it gives me a needle like pain. Will this affect my sex life going forward?
    • Posted

I've had the same issues on and off for the past three years. Been to a General doctor multiple times, been tested for everything multiple time with no luck. Ive noticed my issues seems to arise when it starts to get warmer in the spring and summer, the air is more humid, and my genitles get more damp throughout the day. Switching to micromodal underwear has helped a lot as well as drying the tip of my penis with my underwear after uirnating. My goal is just to keep the tip as dry as possible (I'm circumcised) and wear underwear that won't chafe it too much. I had a flare up a few days ago but it has been much better than my previous ones.

• Posted

03/03/17 Went to see Dr/GP (I'm in the UK) about my tip issue.She took a look and then did an instant urine test for infection and I have a urinary infection so gave Trimethoprim 200mg 14 two a day for 7 days. Also gave Canesten HC cream (prescription only) to apply on tip.

Just some feed back that may help someone smile

(Always see a professional doctor)

• Posted

Rease - What infection did your doctor find? Was it an STD or something else? Thanks! 
    • Posted

Hey man did you resolve the problem and how?
  • Posted

I'm going through the exact same problem. And to top it all of I've prostatitis. Has the doctor checked your prostate yet? If it's inflamed, then I think you've prostatitis.

• Posted

I had exactly the same thing last month and was put on a course of strong antibiotics. Funny enough my glans and tip was all blotchy and sore at around the same time. The antibiotics cleared up the prostatis but then I got a really nasty episode of balanitis which is now getting better. Hopefully that's the end of it!

• Posted

hi mate i have the same problem but only the tip had 3 lots of the same tests and full gum std tests and that was over 3 years ago my gp says he has seen this before and its scaring or damage to urethra and a condition i have to live with said keep putting Vaseline? on the tip tbh it did take the edge off it but some weeks its more Irritable? than others but its always red with lip like at both sides .did you get any answers mate ??

• Posted

Hi Billy,

Do you know what the cause of the scarring was in your case? For me, I believe it may have been that I waited too long to get antibiotics for an STD. After the infection cleared, I still have this condition since September. Hard to imagine that I'll have to live with it forever. I am praying that's not the case.

Tim

• Posted

Hi mate had all tests for std/sti all negative said it was a none specific Ngu , give me antibiotics still and it's not got any worse or better in 3 and half years I now have got used to living with it but was hard to accept went back and got retested a few times in the first six months

• Posted

Definitely do not put coconut oil on the end! Youll run the risk of a yeast infection or worse, ie balanitis. I know as I did put coconut oil after reading a similar posting and regreted it. Wash it once a day with Aqueos cream then rinse it off. If the glans is red apply Daktakort cream (thinly) twice a day for a week, no more else it will thin the delicate skin and youll start to bleed through. Dont was it with sea salt, youll only scrub off the good bacteria and iritate it further.

Finally get yourself to a sexual health clicnic andthey will have a look and check it out. Theres a hell of a lot of nerve endings in the meatus so its possible somethings iritated it a little. Good luck.

• Posted

Hey man did you get any positive results? What was the cause or cure?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.