Tip of the penis (meatus) is red and swollen like lips, what is the problem?

Posted , 59 users are following.

I am 29 years old, the tip of my penis (meatus) is red and swollen like lips (check the attached photos please), it has been like this since many years, sometimes the redness/swelling is little more other times is little less, I have never had sex before. There is no pain neither burning sensations, there is no blood when I urinate or ejaculate or even any type of strange discharges, everything feels just normal, it is a bit sensitive to touch yet, including the glans itself and sometimes it has an unpleasent smell.

I am uncircumcised and I cannot retract my foreskin all the way back, Lately I've started stretching the foreskin and I am seeing some results by exposing more of the glans. I haven't been cleaning underneath the foreskin before, just lately I've started washing it with water everyday. I have been masturbating since 10+ years almost everyday, and lately I have reduced it to around twice per week.

I would like to know if there is a problem with the tip of my penis opening being red and swollen? Do you think there is any serious problem with it? Is it normal that it smells unpleasant sometimes? any suggestions to reduce the swelling/redness and also reduce the sensitivity?

Sorry for the long description. Appreciate your kind advises and help.

3 likes, 76 replies

76 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Brother, I am also suffering with the same problem since 2010. I don't know what to do. I am uncircumcised.  I am suffering from phimosis & balanitis. Tip of my penis remains always red. But their is no pain.  I feel pain sometimes when  i touch it. please help me. I want to get treated as soon as possible.

• Posted

Hi magnet 87,

I've stumbled across this as I too have had these problems and still suffer them from time to time,one thing I have linked by my own trial and error is that it seems to stem from sugar in your urine/semen,I'm diabetic and had a hard time getting over my longings for fizzy drinks and even worse energy drinks,I do find tho that keeping hydrated with good old fashioned water does tend to aid recovery time as it flushes you out quicker,I find that sugar in the urine causes phimosis (which is easily treated with +1 hydrocortisone as well as making sure the penis is clean and dry without using scented soaps) that heals the photos is but then the tight skin where the photos is heals becomes balanitis (which is horrible as it makes it difficult to clean without tearing the foreskin again) It can be an arduous process sorting it out and in extreme cases can take a few weeks to get the elasticity back,one particular trick I've used is to lay in the bath with a jug handy and pour the bathwater (with no soaps etc) onto the end of my penis,it works like filling a water balloon and will eventually start to stretch the skin without the pain that just pulling it apart can bring and less risk of tearing again,as long as you don't try to do it too quickly it works wonders and is a lot more comfortable.I'm not saying this will work for everyone but it does for me,I'd definitely check down the diabetes route tho if just for piece of mind,there's this common misconception that it's an overweight persons disease,not strictly true tho,I have a friend that recently contracted it and he's never been above 10 and a half stone,hope you get your answers soon,I know how much this messes with my mindset.

• Posted

I’m sort of glad to see some of these replies in relation to how it could be nerve damage. One month ago I decided to have sexual intercourse for the first time and at one point I felt like a sharp sudden in my penis but it quickly went away. The next day I had this really bad irritation and redness at my meatus and what felt like a UTI. After being given antibiotics the UTI symptoms were gone but the redness was still there. I decided to get some blood work done and was diagnosed with HSV-2 and I was devastated and had depression. Soon after I saw lesions on my shaft and glans. I was given valtrex and the lesions went away but the irritation and redness didn’t. I went to the urologist today after being on doxycycline for a possible urethritis and the redness would sometimes decrease but then increase again. I went back to another urologist and she told me she since i’m not having any pain urinating the only 2 possible reasons she can think why I’m having this is due to: my first outbreak of herpes lesions or post herpetic neuralgia. The entire time since several weeks I’ve been thinking that this is due to HSV-2, but from what I’ve researched it and read it doesn’t cause symptoms like that in the penis, so I’m baffled as to how she told me that. I’m really thinking this is due to some nerve damage and it will take a while to heal. If it is due to HSV, though, i’m waiting for the 2 vaccines to be made public by Rational Vaccines which will prevent symptoms in people with HSV-2 already and prevent infection with those that don’t have it yet.
    • Posted

Hi Cracked 

Are you sure its HSV-2 ..One night i had vigorous sex and next morning my urethra opening turned raw when  i used a tissue to touch it started bleeding drop of blood tooo . i went to my Dermatologist who was treating me for candida he asked me to give blood sample for HSV but my result came negative ..I had terrible burning sensation when urinating and also needle pins type pain inside my glans for very long time ..I went and consulted an urologist he put me on doxycycline and then it reduced the needle pains and burning a bit ..But my urethra meatus still stays raw when i look inside it both sides look red for few days and get cleared after a week .These things are coming back again and again ..I am trying to do an Ulcer swab PCR DNA test for HSV next time when i have this Redness inside my meatus ...I was thinking all these days its NSU or Blantitis ..But now looking at your post i have to repeat Herpes testing again ..May be not blood one i will try to ulcer swab.

• Edited

Magnet, you are rude, why post something and never answer to all the replies.  Did you get cured or not and how
  • Edited

It seems like balanoposthitis u once meet urologist they will suggest u exact treatment for it
    • Posted

My urologist suggested 

izoconazole nitrate 1%  

fluconazole 200mg

Worked to a certain degree and six months later not 100% I feel like every three days it (meatus and foreskin) flares up for a few more days and back to deswelling just to repeat itself again.

Nightmare!!

• Posted

Hi Dr.Naresh 

I also face something similar doctor where i keep getting small red rashes on my glans penis and they don t itch and pain but just pops up and disappears after a week but my urethra meatus stays red always and also sometimes pain and burning when i urinate . I went to urologist he had put me on doxycycline for 15 days and it did reduce the pain inside Urethra but the Redness inside the urethra and the red rashes on the glans keep coming back again and again . I had Venereal wart on my glans penis which got removed through RF treament ..Do you think its something to do with HPV or its HSV related issue ???

I had tested HSV for last 18 months since my exposure and its negative for both HSV1 & 2 ...Not sure what test more to do to find the exact cause.

• Posted

I had a condition similar to you. It started with a sore tip of the penis when I was

Showering. I had a solid rash between my legs. This lasted over a month.

After many visits to the doctor I was given a referral to dermatologist.

The immediate answer was psoriasis. I didn’t think it was skin condition initially.

Because it was a solid rash. Psoriasis is has circular spots with dry skin inside.

Those spots developed much later than the original symptoms.

The cream they prescribed works miracles on the penis. But not so much so on the 

rest of my body. Good Luck.

• Posted

Hey guys. Honestly have had this swollen meatus for about 6 months. I am more and more believing that our problem is 90% nerve damage. From basic irration and rough positions and or bad luck..... the nerve endings are incredibly sensitive and simply inflame. Bacteria try’s to help that’s why it hurts to pee a little when it’s very inflamed. 

But I am beginning to consider inflammation cream would only be the thing to help.

Otherwise a long road to healing ahead... if at all.

It doesn’t effect me to much in terms of pre ejaculation or painful sex. 

We must be acutely aware when we are damaging the nerves more. Sadly any type of masterbation will damage the nerve especially if dry. 

I notice too a huge inflame after ejaculation wink

• Posted

I kinda found some peace in mind with my guy down there. I wear full Cotton briefs not so tight or loose. I wash up with dove soap only once a day but avoid dirty hand contact when I need to urinate so I clean hands before and after. I drink a lot of detoxing foods, fruits and drink tons of water mixed with lemon. If I masterbate I might get irritated might not but I do know this, the more blood down there the more problems. I’m might plan a circumsition soon just to exclude the possibilities of balanitis or a balanitis combination of whatever they use a compound word with it but does anyone else here find a resolution yet? I feel I’m like 90% complete.
    • Posted

I doubt of damage in nerves also. I remember hitting the head of my penis and it started since then.

Which doctor can we see in this case ? 

• Posted

Hi Vincenzo, 

I have a group of more than 20 people, mostly everyone has Prostatitis or Pudendal Neuralgia type symptoms. A few only have the red swollen meatus and irritation/stinging. And we have various different theories and treatments. The nerve theory is also gaining ground against the bacterial/viral/fungal theory. 

Do you mean to say you never had unprotected sex and all your problems are because of hitting the head of your penis? 

• Posted

Hey Mate, Would you mind checking out my post? Any help would be greatly appreciated

• Posted

Hey Mate, Any update on your condition? Would you mind checking out my post? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.