Tired in the mornings

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am 10 weeks

Post op a TKR.  My biggest complaint is total lack of energy.  Do you think it is normal to be exhausted in the mornings?  I go to PT 3 times a week and I am retired-60 year old.  I feel I am doing well but-hate this constant lack of energy.  I am eating well, drinking water, pacing myself but.....

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

It is common...might be worth getting blood checked to see is anaemia is a factor?
    • Posted

Thank you- I will get this checked at my upcoming appointment. I appreciate your response.  I do think maybe I need to realize it will just take more sleep than usual.
    • Posted

I think it must be a bit of a ten week thing! I wrote the following in my journal at ten weeks post op:

Sometimes I wake up discouraged. I am not cross with my knee because it is doing well. But I am fed up of being so tired, so easily, so soon. I am achievement orientated and it is hard to continually accept what I cannot do. I feel low and cry a little bit. I find it hard to rest. Rest is almost a discipline that I realise I have not had.

😀😁😃

• Posted

Thank you!  You described it perfectly.  I feel relieved that others have experienced this condition.  These responses have helped because this is all new to me.  The surgeon’s office

does not give me an answer to this question- so again thanks to all.

• Posted

The surgeon's office is the last place you go to get answers to these questions...

• Posted

It takes a long time...I would say I was back to normal on the energy front at 7 months post op. Now I have gone beyond that because I am so extremely grateful and over the moon about my mobility that I have more energy than than i had for years...it's fantastic! I have recently taken up hand drumming (djembe) because I have an excess of energy I don't know what to do with! 😀😁😄

• Posted

A lot of people throw themselves a one-year anniversary party because that's when it seems to all come together: mobility, strength, and a pain-free life.  At the beginning, it seems like the pain will never end.  Then the months and months of grueling work.  Six months is usually a milestone for many when they can see a light at the end of the tunnel and know it's not an oncoming train.  You start really feeling like yourself again at nine months and celebrate at 12.  

No one should take this as a "schedule" that applies to themselves but it seems to be the most common scenario.  However, it does take a lot of hard work and continued dedication.  Can't let up...gotta stay focused.  I'm almost 2 years and it does pay off.

• Posted

Wonderful article.  I have learned

And laughed today- what a blessing so I will rest and be a bit kinder to myself.  So true- the surgeon has bigger problems with his case load and my low energy has not drawn sympathy with his nurse 👩🏻???.   The comments today have done the trick.💤

• Posted

Great to see the possibility of rewards.  I can usually mind over matter but...I am committed to staying the course to have great results.  Chico your daughter’s story is very impressive- as your wisdom has helped many.  I read this information at night and I have learned realistic thoughts that only someone that has lived this journey can share.  Thank you again- fun to laugh.  I do go to a Cryotherapy Sauna at least once daily.  Seems to help and surely can’t hurt. 😊😴

• Posted

Completely...  I was still sleeping 12-16 hours a day and asked my doc.  She said: "All the energy in your body is being directed at healing your knee.  If your body wants to sleep, sleep."  This is not a race...and everyone recovers at a different pace.  Do not compare yourself to anyone else.  This is YOUR recovery...own it.

Also, PT is hard, difficult work that tires us out, especially when you still need some meds to control the post-PT pain.  Plus your quads, glutes and core muscles are all dead from non-use.  You will now have to rebuild them with lots of exercise.  That will take more work, more energy...but you'll be ready for that soon enough.

Remember...give up all your expectations and time schedules.  Your knee will be healed when it heals...it cannot be pushed.  Time, work and patience.  This is a year-long journey.  Commit to it.

• Posted

Thank you for your quick response- I have read your previous comments and respect your wisdom.  I was concerned but I am so grateful for a successful surgery- I will just learn patience now🙃

• Posted

Oh yes...patience.  If that has not been one of your character traits, it will be now.  This op teaches patience...big time.
    • Posted

This was my lesson:

🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌Hey, Wow, 🐇🐇🐸🐸🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢Hey Wow !🐇🐇🐇🐇🐇🐇🐇🐇🐇🐇🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸🆕🆕🆕🆕🆕🆕🆕🆕🆕🆕🆕🆕🆕🆕🆕🆕🆕🆕🆕🆕🆕🆕🆕🆕🆕🆕🆕🆕🆕🆕🆕🆕🆕knee🆓🆓🆓🆓🆓🆓🆓🆓🆓🆓🆓🆓🆓🆓🆓🆓🆓🆓🆓🆓🆓🆓🆓🆓🆓🆓🆓🆓🆓🆓🆓🆓🆓🆓🆓🆓🆓🆓🆓🆓🆓🆓🆓🆓🆓🆓🆓🆓🆓🆓🆓🆓🆓🆓🆓🆓🆓🆓🆓🆓🆓🆓🆓🆓🆓🆓🆓🆓🆓🆓🆓🆓🆓 get on with life!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.