Tired of Feeling Disconnected From Life

Posted , 13 users are following.

I am so tired of feeling depressed, anxious, and disconnected from life. I have done everything that I can to cope with these emotional states (exercise, staying busy, keeping up my social connections...) Most of the day now, I feel awful, but I persevere because there isn't anything else that I can do. I notice flickers of my real self from time to time, but then these flickers disappear again. It is so hard to keep going, and sometimes I feel that it is never going to end.

I feel scared, and I just want to feel well.

Any hope would be appreciated.

Thankssmile

5 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello bev

I'm sorry you feel so awful and I know how it feels to feel scared all the time and anxious. It takes over everything. Please know that the real bev is still in there and she's strong and will get through this, you like all of his just need some support. Stay strong bev, keep doing what you're doing and things will get better I promise. Are you on hrt? Xx

• Posted

Hi Sassy,

Thanks so much for your kind words; they mean a lot! No, I am not on hormones, and I don't plan on taking them. I understand that my body and mind are going through dramatic changes, and I need to ride them out.

How long did things take for you before you started to turn the corner?

• Posted

Hi bev

I've managed without hrt for the most part, but this year has been really tough, I think maybe some can just keep going but for me I hit the wall completely. I'm so used to being without hormones, it hadn't occurred to me that it was related. I would say I started to see some improvements after a month, but really at the 3 month mark I started to feel a whole lot better. See how you go I guess, if you're able to manage - great, if not then give it a go. Xx

• Posted

I know how you are feeling, I resigned and took HRT, helped me immensely. I believe in quality not the quantity of life.  Consider it if you haven't already.

Hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

Totally agree if your quality of life is terrible and you literally cannot get through the day try anything ! I was so so desperate so chose HRT and already am feeling more normal after 11 days . I was a complete mess engulfed by fatigue all the time and no feeling of wellbeing for 3 months ... 

I was run over by a car and lived so I’m gambling on the patch as you never know what’s in store for you in the future so live only for today ! 

• Posted

I have been there and am still living in that zone postmenopausal. I have those flickers and I know it is frustrating. I think the answer is around the corner we just have to keep doing the right thing even if it doesn't seem like it is working. About two weeks ago I found out I have osteopenia which was like the icing on the cake-not. I eat well but to be honest I am so fatigued most of the time I haven't exercised. That day I picked up the results I was like F this. Why am I eating well when the whole world is enjoying whatever. I was crying pumping gas at the Quick Trip and the hot dog on the window poster looked really good plus a brownie went through my mind. I cried for a couple days then stopped.

The things I want to do like work again and start dating after my divorce have been put on hold. I do organize for a meetup. One of the younger men told me recently that he is sure that I have been hit by some of the younger men in my group because I look younger than my age. Hit on no, but some have told me if you ever want to talk etc. before they go on with their own lives. So I do have flickers too.

I started to go back to church so I fill up some of my spiritual needs. One good thing that has come from my struggle is that I have weeded out people who are not good for me and now the only ones with me are the ones who can tolerate my lows and my quirky self. 

The thing to be honest that gets me through it is my love of kpop. I play it every day. I am 57 and I just go into about 4 years ago. It does't get rid of the depression but it lessens it and it makes me feel like something larger than myself. A connection with people from all over the world. 

This is the kpop song that came on my Pandora 2 years ago on my way to divorce court. 

This was my first kpop concert I went to on the way home I cried. I thought what have I been missing...

This is a young singer from the group Big Bang who I saw in concert. 

There is an energy in the room that makes me forget about my troubles. 

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

• Posted

hi Bev

We share a similar history and have had conversations before. I know all too well what you are feeling because i deal with it day in and day out. I too am tired of trying hard to feel not depressed or not anxious or not unhappy etc.

I suffer all the time, and i understand you and what you are going through it is very scary to think that you may never be the same again. I am afraid for my financial and physical and more importantly mental stability for my boys in the near future. I want them tohave their mom to rely on as long a possible. Its terrifying.

Im trying not to let FEAR take over. 

I remember our conversations where you were completely fine and normal and positive. You describe how you felt, and the activities you engage in. Remember that person because she is still inside there. I know how you feel though like.."how long can i endure this?" "how long can i keep the fight up?"

And my answer is YOU will get through it and so will I, and so will we all. I think we and other ladies here have it particularily dreadful as noone can understand depressio until theyve walked in the shoes. Same with anxiety when its bad, its incapacatating. 

Marias advice was awesome. I dont know though if i will wake up one morning andd it wiil be gone. I go up and down so much..its day to day for me, morning to afternoon to evening i plow through it, and i remind myself that i will come out of it again. Like you i dont want to be dealing with this forever.

I hear all of the success stories from the women on hrt and bhrt and i wished i was one of them. Igave them 8 months of troubleshooting and it made me weirder, or maybe i didnt get the right type who knows.

Just please send these messages and reach out because i tell you YOU are not ALONE. Im with you all the way.

x0x0x0x

• Posted

Thank-you so much for taking the time to write such a lovely note of support and for validating my experience. I feel like we are definitely kindred spirits going through what we are. I can completely identify with everything that you wrote; my experience is so similar. 

Yes, we will both get through it. There is only one path to walk, but sometimes the pain can be excruciating. I just keep going and keep making life affirming choices, and I keep telling myself that one day this will be over.

I see glimpses of myself here and there, and these glimpses keep me sane, for they show me that I am still there, underneath the surface, waiting to emerge.

• Posted

hi Bev

We share a similar history and have had conversations before. I know all too well what you are feeling because i deal with it day in and day out. I too am tired of trying hard to feel not depressed or not anxious or not unhappy etc.

I suffer all the time, and i understand you and what you are going through it is very scary to think that you may never be the same again. I am afraid for my financial and physical and more importantly mental stability for my boys in the near future. I want them tohave their mom to rely on as long a possible. Its terrifying.

Im trying not to let FEAR take over. 

I remember our conversations where you were completely fine and normal and positive. You describe how you felt, and the activities you engage in. Remember that person because she is still inside there. I know how you feel though like.."how long can i endure this?" "how long can i keep the fight up?"

And my answer is YOU will get through it and so will I, and so will we all. I think we and other ladies here have it particularily dreadful as noone can understand depressio until theyve walked in the shoes. Same with anxiety when its bad, its incapacatating. 

Marias advice was awesome. I dont know though if i will wake up one morning andd it wiil be gone. I go up and down so much..its day to day for me, morning to afternoon to evening i plow through it, and i remind myself that i will come out of it again. Like you i dont want to be dealing with this forever.

I hear all of the success stories from the women on hrt and bhrt and i wished i was one of them. Igave them 8 months of troubleshooting and it made me weirder, or maybe i didnt get the right type who knows.

Just please send these messages and reach out because i tell you YOU are not ALONE. Im with you all the way.

x0x0x0x

• Posted

Thanks for the encouraging post Maui.  Coming here to vent always helps.  I am feeling decent this morning.  We will see how long it lasts.  Hope y’all are having a better day too

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.