Tired of health anxiety ruining my life!

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi, it's the first time I have posted in a forum but I am at a loss as to what to do anymore

I am 35 with two children and a husband and to anyone looking in life is a rosey

Apart from health anxiety. It is totally crippling me. I have suffered with health anxiety as long as I can remember, but since my son was born 3 years ago it has spiralled out of control. I have diagnosed myself with every cancer going and am convinced there must be something serious otherwise I wouldn't feel the way I do.

I have given myself a brain tumour, bowel cancer, liver lung pancreatic bone cancer you name it I have had it(in my head) today I am worry I have breast cancer that's spread and that's why I feel so terrible! I think the lump I can feel is my rib but it still doesn't stop the constant tapping in my brain of what if.

I dread checking any body part because I know if I find something i can't control my anxiety but I also can't stop checking until I do find something

I am just so tired of feeling like this but don't seem to be able to control it. I have had 8 sessions of cbt which helped for a while but it's back with a vengeance

I don't want to live in fear I am terrified of cancer to the point if I see an advert I think it's telling me I have it

I don't really have anyone to talk to about it,my friends don't know, my husband pretends it's not happening if I say I feel anxious and my mum is amazing but has really had enough now. There favourite is you need to snap out of it now.

I just want to escape my brain for just one day, laugh again and enjoy life like used to but then there's the anxiety saying what if it's not in your head, what if you do have cancer, so I have to keep checking and googling to stay safe.

Sorry for the long post I have just had enough today

2 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Olivia, you should find another therapists. If your current therapist do not want to get to the core of things and try a med that will help you then you need to drop him/her. There are some good therapist in UK & US who will diagnose you properly.  Meds just might be the answer to help you get through this along with your family.  Please do your research in your area and find a good therapist whom is willing to help you. Good luck to you dear. 

• Posted

The problem may be that CBT doesn't allow for looking at the past, that's not part of it - which is why for many its a useless therapeutic approach. I agree, find a decent form of therapy and things should start getting better

• Posted

Olivia..I would love to msg you. ..I am going through the same thing right now....would love if we could chat...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.