Tiredness.

Posted , 14 users are following.

could someone help please.  I am down now to 12.5 mg of Prednisone.  Although my pain is not too bad I am so abjectly tired all the time.  Does anyone else suffer from this tiredness.  It is a living death and I have a very sick husband to take care of at the same time.

1 like, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Almost all of us, to put it simply.

The fatigue is part of the underlying autoimmune disorder and isn't greatly helped by the pred unfortunately. That must be managed by pacing and resting appropriately - which I realise isn't an option for a carer. Where are you? Are there support options for you?

The links in this post may help:

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/pacing-in-chronic-illness-some-useful-links-that-explain-it-and-how-to-do-it-516000

Also, google "13 types of Sjogren's fatigue" (it is just another sort of autoimmune illness) and "the spoon theory byChristine Miseriando" which may give you some ideas.

• Posted

I have no useful advice, but want to reinforce that extreme fatigue is part of PMR for many of us. I felt like the Earth's gravitational field had tripled.  When I was standing, I wanted to sit down; when I was sitting, I wanted to lie down. It was struggle to drag myself to even my favorite activities.  So you are not alone, nor are you imagining this or exaggerating it.  

Almost three years in, I am doing very well and do not have the extreme fatigue at all, though I can't say why. I always took enough prednisone to almost eliminate pain because I am more worried about chronic inflammation than I am about the side effects of prednisone.  I am hanging on at 7 mg (and my body forcefully lets me know that 6 mg is not enough) and am functioning very normally.

I know that a lot of people have draining fatigue for a long time after starting prednisone, but I don't know how common it is to go back to pretty normal function as I have.  I think I am really lucky.  Perhaps someone else can answer this.

I am sorry I do not have an answer except, as others have said, to be kind to yourself and don't try to fight PMR- it will always win.  Find some compromises.

• Posted

I am sorry you have had such a difficult time but really happy to hear that you are doing so much better now.  I really understood that you would be of free the pred. By 2 years.  I see this isn’t necessarily so, high is a big disappointment.
  • Posted

I know that the thinking is that pred doesn’t help the tiredness that goes with PMR, but it did help me. And a lot of people say that once they get on pred, they tend to overdo it because they feel great and have a lot of energy.
    • Posted

Thanks.  I have always heard that the prednisone does not help fatigue, but it must for some of us.  On the other hand, I can't say I ever felt "great" or had a lot of energy.  No wonder doctors don't want to do research on PMR when we all have such different symptoms and reactions to medication.

• Posted

I didn't get fatigue until after six months on pred I got to the 7 mg level.  Have never really recovered my old energy levels although the "deathly" fatigue strikes very seldom now.  So I'm blaming pred, not PMR.  We are all different!

• Posted

Yes, so happened to me at the beginning.  I felt incredibly well.  Sadly that soon passed.  Now on my ‘good’ days I do tend to do a lot.  It is difficult not to do so isn’t it?
    • Posted

So you didn’t get fatigue when you got the PMR, but you did when you took the pred? 

Fatigue was one of my first symptoms with PMR, and when I started on pred it completely disappeared. There were moments when the fatigue came back, but I assumed the PMR was acting up, so I increased the pred and the tiredness left. 

• Posted

YEs Annie I did have the fatigue before the pred.  First couple of weeks on Pred I felt fabulous but that did decline.  Are you saying I should increase to get rid of the fatigue?  I am getting a lot of headaches too but do not have GCA.
    • Posted

Yes, it seems many people find they are fatigued with PMR before pred, but not always the case.  I assume my fatigue is due to lazy adrenal glands, and this would be a result of being on pred.  And now I'm in the habit of being lazy.  However I do find occasionally even after all this time that I can be chugging along cheerfully, and then suddenly am overcome with weariness.  The most inconvenient incidence of this within the past few months was when I was out for a longish walk with my family, not an unusual activity for us during nice weather, and I began to feel that I simply couldn't put one foot in front of the other.  I had to, of course.  We were in the middle of the woods on a walking trail.  I was thrilled to encounter a bench where I made us stop for a few minutes while I recovered enough to continue.  This sort of thing never happened to me before pred.  This kind of experience is what I think of when I use the word "fatigue".  

• Posted

I think it's generally acknowledged that pred doesn't help fatigue.  

• Posted

That is the sort of experience I used to have with PMR - long before pred! I've told the story of being 2/3 of the way down a very short ski run where I had decided "just one more and I'll go home" and suddenly having no idea at all how to get to the bottom - which really was just 250m or so. My legs simply would not do ANYTHING and you couldn't get down that last bit without a few turns. What should have taken just a minute took me a good half hour.

• Posted

Maybe I simply didn't live the sort of life which would trigger that kind of fatigue.  Me on a ski hill?  Not likely!

• Posted

It's all relative! MrsO was out for a walk one day and 2 streets from home got similarly "stuck" - a kind neighbour found her sitting on his wall and ran her home...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.