Tiredness following TKR

Posted , 20 users are following.

I have had both knees done in 6 months went back to work as a nurse in between am due to go back to work next week 9 weeks post op but so tired all the time and tearful could cry at nothing and often do.

Anybody else have this ??

1 like, 37 replies

37 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Can you delay your return? You must be so tired. Took five months for me to regain my stamina after one knee replacement! I think the tearfulness is related to tiredness, having had a major operation, and just the whole trauma of surgery. I do hope you feel better soon.
    • Posted

Thankyou for your comments sadly I can't delay work  as SSP doesn't go far these days but will only be doing a couple of days to begin with have a gp so point mentioned next week so will mention it.

• Posted

I had both my knees done within 10 mmonths of each other. I'm 9 weeks out as well and am also totally worn out. I had to go back to works 2 weeks ago as short-term disability decided they had given me enough. I am an adminiatrative person but am up and down in other office and parts of the building 30-35 times a day. I come home and collapse every day. The hardest part for me is driving. I had a manipulation done at week 5 which helped somewhat

• Posted

Hi Dee,

I can't  imagine how you've made it this far...you are one brave woman.  I am only 2 weeks post op from my first tkr and I know how exhausted I am.

As so many others on this site have commented, this is MAJOR surgery, not to be taken lightly.  The time you will most likely need for each knee to best recover can be anywhere from 6 months to a year.  Being a nurse requires many hours on your feet, plus the mentally capacity that it takes!  In order for you to do a good job as a nurse you need to be at your best physically and mentally.  Since you can't take additional time off, perhaps the best thing would be for you to clear your calender of unnecessary events and fit in whatever rest you can.  Continue to ice, elevate, and rest as much as you can.

Have you spoken to your physician about you crying all time, this is a very important issue that needs to be shared.  From numerous posts on this site, many share this same problem...it's part of the process that needs help.

Hang in there and know that many of us are pulling for you!

Blesdings,

Cherry🍒

• Posted

So I had bilateral knee replacement on July 18th I'll be ready to go back to work September 11th drove today for the first time everything is going really good yeah I guess if you go back to work an 8-hour 9-hour day you're going to get tired I mean you should start doing some exercising walk around a lot walk around the block a lot it's also good for your knees anyway I mean that's all I can recommend I'm going back to an eight and a half hour day job I'm sure I'm going to feel it on my lower back I'm on my feet all day I mean it's just something that you going to have to work yourself back into just think no more sitting around the house all day start doing things around the house vacuum and cleaning keep yourself busy all day try and get back into your routine good luck let me know how it works out

• Posted

Hello Dadddio ,

Wow, so you are going back to work at 9 weeks? That is great I think. Most people it seems on here are out for months and months and months. I had a partial 15 months ago. I did well with it mostly. My other knee is giving me issues but that would have to be a total as it is not a candidate for a partial. I can not be off work for 6 months or even 4  . Anyway I went back to work at 4 weeks with the partial. It was tough for awhile (that probably was too soon but I did survive it). I iced as often as I could , came home and really crashed and iced some more. Eventually it all got better but it wasn't easy. Good things to remember as I am sure you will be beat after your work day.  Drink lots of water it helps and try eat healthy. All those little things add up to a lot when your body has been through all it has with the surgeries . Would like to hear how you do once you are back to work. Continued success to you on your journey of recovery!

Debbie

• Posted

Your body is using all of your energy to heal (wait a minutete, you're the nurse, not me). Its hard to make it go full speed because you aren't at full speed. I would see if you couldn't start part time and work up to full time. If not, plan on collapsing after work because chances are, that's all you'll be able to do for awhile

• Posted

Hi Dee -- when we have major surgery we loose blood and the hemoglobin goes down. My went down to 9 after the surgery --  that is one reason that we get so tired and have no energy. After my TKR, which was 10 months ago, I complained to my GYN doctor - (during my annual check up -- not my orthopedic surgeon) She told me to eat 3 ounces of beef every day for 30 days. No more than 3 ounces.  Some people will not or cannot eat beef. But I did and I gain my energy back in a few weeks.  My hemoglobin went up to 12.7 within the month and I did not feel tired.  Your doctor can tell you if your hemoglobin is low. I also cried a lot because I felt helpless and I had pain.  I also continued to do my exercises. However, I am 10 months post TKR. I have other problems but I am not tired.  Take care and best of look for a speedy recovery. 
  • Posted

Thankyou all glad to hear other have similar problems, although I'm a nurse it's different when the nurse becomes the patient as I have. I will persevere as I need my knees for the foreseeable future and will discuss with my GP next week my issues.

• Posted

Absolutely! I see you're a nurse and I just wish to talk from my own point of view.  I've had 30 ops and with each general anaesthetic I've been exhausted for about a year, especially after my 2 TKRs.  Again, from my own experience there could also be some post op depression

• Posted

Hi Dee

Most that post don't go back so soon . You sound like you are doing pretty good I think . I may need a total on my other knee ( had partial )and looking for those that do well and can get back to work  sooner as I can't be out for 6 months like many .

I went back after my partial at 5weeks . It was very difficult . To handle I iced as often as I could at work . Came home and iced right away and put my knee up rest of night to help swelling . I Ate very good and drank a lot of water . And went to bed early .Your body will be in overload mode for awhile . Eventually the knee will be further along and you'll feel better . I also take vitamins and took extra B's during that time to help with the stress of it all . 

Best to you , your doing good job of handling it all , it is not easy .

Debbie

• Posted

Thanks for recent comments, I would like to add that so far I've done not too bad I guess, I was walking without any support at 3 weeks post op, I suppose I'm just a little impatient and not good at taking the advice I would give to people/patients I look  after which would be "don't overdo things, it will take up to a year if not longer which is considerably longer than 9 weeks to heal and repair, and keep up the excercises" so I guess I need to follow my own advice and be more patient. I've been hoovering, cooking etc so I'm not being lazy either  so roll on when I feel less tired and tearful and can get on with my new life.

• Posted

Look after yourself! You are the one that needs to be cared for this time around! I can appreciate that may not be your first instinct. If you are normally capable and efficient, it may be particularly hard to be less effective. But all you care for will benefit from you looking after yourself well too! There is no lazy after a TKR...it doesn't exist. Just healing time and exercises!

• Posted

Oh My Gosh!! You are 9 weeks post op, and going back to work already?? I'm a nurse too....my surgeon said that given the job that I do.....6-9 months.  Are you able to take more time off? It still seems so soon for you to go back to work.  Good luck. And look after yourself.  

• Posted

Thankyou am going to see how I get on and how I feel for a couple of weeks and will take more time out if I need to but need to work really.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.