Tiredness following TKR

Posted , 20 users are following.

I have had both knees done in 6 months went back to work as a nurse in between am due to go back to work next week 9 weeks post op but so tired all the time and tearful could cry at nothing and often do.

Anybody else have this ??

1 like, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Almost 7 weeks post op on my second tkr (6 months between the two) Feeling so tired & worn down all the time is really starting to get to me. I'm still in my 50s & feel I should be bouncing back faster. My family tells me I felt the same way with the last knee & to be patient.  I went back to work at 7 weeks last time, but retired three months later (as planned & not related to surgery).  I'm also having an upset stomach a lot, which I thought was in reaction to all the drugs.  But that continues & I stopped the last drug 2 days ago. I guess I'm just looking for encouragement that I will feel like my usual self soon And that this isn't a new normal. 

• Posted

First...on this Forum, you be Hero status!!!  I need my second knee done but I'm putting it off...waaaaaay off.  Can't imagine doing two together or even close.  I don't know where you find the strength and the will to do that.  Kudos!!!

Second...  Lots of people who do both find that their experience with knee #1 is completely different than with #2.  Seems to be the rule around here.  That said, plus the fact that you're barely recovered from the first one, it is not surprising that you lack the energy for handling #2.  You know that these are brutal surgeries that take a year from which to fully recover.  That said...

Sit back and relax...sleep...let your body heal.  Let go of your expectations of when you will be back to "normal".  That will come in time.  Be Zen: "I'll be better when I'm better".  Let the rest of it melt away...

• Posted

Hi TJ42,

I am 19 days post-op tkr and I am really having a tough time with all the effects of this surgery.  The meds, pain, crying, tiredness,  nausea, etc. seem to always bring me back to this forum.  So many wonderful replies to help get through this ordeal.  I always get a chuckle and 'pick me up' when I read Chico Marx or OldFatGuy comments...they just seem to pop up at the right time.

After speaking with my PC, each person reacts differently to a tkr, mentally and physically.  Exhaustion seems to be one of those lingering after effects, one that is the toughest to deal with.  I have a tough time with patience when it comes to the healing process, but I know that eventually we'll look back and realize that patience was the medicine we needed most.  

I, too, was scheduled to have my second tkr in November, but after this fun ride,  I'm going to wait till my energy returns before going through this again.  When I can walk our local mall and do some serious shopping, then and only then will I know I'm ready!

Hang in there, we're all in this together, your energy will return. Your family sounds very encouraging and want the best for you... enjoy retirement, let your mind, body, and spirit conquer that tkr! ( now I have to try and follow my own advise) LOL

Blessings, 

Cherry🍒

• Posted

Hey Cherry!  Hang in there! 19 days is very early on.  Do your PT and take your meds on sechedule! If the pain meds cause nausea perhaps your surgeon can prescribe a different type.  My surgeon is one of the leading in my area & his pain management is different from the treatment others I know of had.  Meloxicam for inflammation,  gabapentin to calm nerve endings and tramadol for pain. It worked well.  I have no real complaints as far as the actual surgery, pain level (except during PT 😊wink and am very happy I got them done.  Just really frustrated by the slow rate of energy return. 

• Posted

I think  we all react differently to TKR surgery my first one was spinal and no pain whilst second one was knocked out and painful. I go back to work on Tuesday and to be honest dreading it but need to work financially. So my point is listen to your body it will come right soon enough.
  • Posted

Thanks for the quick replys Chico & Dee.   I got the second one done so soon after first, because I/we want an active retirement. Second one could have waited a few years otherwise. Lots of travel & fun planned which we worked & sacrificed for.  Can't let my knees hold us back.  Actually my surgeon suggested 6 weeks apart which I thought was insane. 😂

Now the worry, discouragement is all about being tired & weak.  The pain isn't bad at all.  Although the first knee is aching more, probably due to being more dependent on it.  

Last night was rough as I could not get comfortable and paced the house in the middle of the night.  Exhaustion is to be expected after such a serious surgery I suppose & I must be patient.

I just woke from a little power nap & am feeling better.  Maybe we will head for the gym & the stationary bike later today. 

• Posted

I know what you mean mine were 6 mths apart when in bed support your knee with a small pillow as long as you do your quad excercises it will not heal bent mine haven't and sometimes the support is needed. Good luck

• Posted

Thanks Dee. I'm thinking I just need an attitude adjustment & a positive outlook.  My first knee was the worst one & I felt grateful for the modern miracle of tkr...I need to return to that line of thinking! 

Best wishes to you as you return to work.  While it may seem daunting now, a return to normal routine may be therapudic.  Take it easy the first week or so and head home early for a while if you need to & your employer will allow.

• Posted

7 weeks post opt today.  Dee, I lost a lot of stamina after surgery.  Started doing my hill walks at about 6 weeks out and am only able to do about 2/3 my pre surgery hill walk due to loss of cardio vascular fitness.  Been hitting the PT hard including 10 lb leg lifts, 18 pound short arc quads, and hip muscle work (clam) and others

.  Just started doing squats in a chair and all the other PT exercises.  Tried to do standing poses, yoga, and that did not work so well so I backed off.  Will have second knee done in 7 weeks from now.  After 11 prior joint surgeries this is the worst.  Lots of pain and took the drugs for 5 weeks.  Now no drugs but sleep is still an issue.  And yes, I am tired a lot and lack the normal energy I usually have.  I am 64.

• Posted

And why do you think this is abnormal?  You're doing waaaay better than most of us at 7 weeks post-op.  All your muscles, especially quads, glues and core, have all atrophied from months of non-use.  Gotta build everything back again slowly.  Here are some tips...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/post-tkr-exercising-565527

Remember, a TKR recovery is NOT linear...kind of more like this...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/the-reality-of-a-tkr-recovery-in-one-picture-626038

The worst thing you can do is expect too much of yourself and then crash and burn.  Don't do that.  Take everything gradually, especially when preparing for the next one.  You want to be strong and invigorated, not tired and weak.  Stay strong!!!!  Do what you can without depleting your energy reserves...you will definitely need them.

• Posted

Thanks for the input and the tips.  And ya, I am probably too hard on myself.  "Normal" "abnormal" , I really do not know what that means anymore.  I know I will be dealing with a "new normal" at the other end or this process. 

And ya, it is not linear.  Some days are just better than others. 

• Posted

At the end of all of this will be a different life, especially you were very active and competitive.  I played hockey for 45+ years and that all went away.  Be lucky if I can find a brace that will allow me to do some light skating even if it's against the rules...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/do-s-and-don-ts-after-a-tkr-a-typical-list-541794

Anything that pounds the knee (running, jogging, competitive sports) or torques it (skating, skiing, etc.) are either banned or highly discouraged.  Talked to the Donjoy people (#1 brace manufacturer) and asked if that had a brace to prevent the knee from twisting so I could at least skate again...no hockey.  They recommended the Defiance model (picture).  Custom fit price of $900.  I'm saving my pennies but the hockey days are over...

• Posted

I only had one knee 7 weeks ago and feel awful all over and can't sleep well. What is going on?

• Posted

I had one knee 11 weeks ago and still feel generally awful , tired , lower back ache , knee still hurts but only stopped pain meds a week ago and then felt awful because I think I was having withdrawal symptoms . Feel depressed, cry for no reason , anxious I don’t know , can’t seem to get at all motivated , not doing enough exercise although I can bend it not bad ! It’s really debilitating, so you are not alone. It’s just very slow progress for most , and nerve pain is a problem!
    • Posted

Hi Jenny,

Had my first tkr last August and went through everything you expressed, but it does get better! Crying for no reason, hardly...you went through the most vicious and difficult surgeries ever!  Yep, the process to recovery is slow, but you will get through it.  I'm having my second tkr on the other knee next Monday, not looking forward to going through all of the fore mentioned problems, but want to walk without pain again.  I do know one thing, don't stop the pain meds too soon and taper off of them when you do...withdrawal is the pits.

Hang in there, do you exercises, ice, elevate, and know that it takes time.  Check out all the advise by Chico Marx, got me through the first one and will get me through this next one.  Take care and know that you will be stronger.

Many Blessings,

Cherry🍒

• Posted

Jenny I totally understand- my TKR on left knee was Nov 29, 2017.  Many on this group supported me soooo I wish to tell you and others Thanks for sharing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.